Roast Hey Rucci

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wonder what will happen to our bottom line once there is the establishment of a national reserves comp which will result in both SA AFL clubs moving out of the SANFL. They have been robbing us blind and yet no one wants to do a thing about it.

Wont change anything, they'll still rob us blind via the SMA to prop themselves up.

Ex Finance person at the club told me that SANFL owned the scoreboard at AFL games and did all their own advertising often against the AFL club sponsors.
They made net profit of 500k a year from it and you know where it went?
It funded the SANFL Budget as it could not be produced otherwise
Whicker thought this (the Budget) was an integral part of the SA Football landscape
Think about where else the money went?

$500k per annum to produce The Budget?
Is it printed in holographic foil and gold leaf?

There’d be a significant whack left over from that amount.
Straight into directors pockets I’d guess.

$500k per annum to produce The Budget?
Is it printed in holographic foil and gold leaf?

There’d be a significant whack left over from that amount.
Straight into directors pockets I’d guess.
If they are not making a profit from that, I'd rather have a piece of paper from the club with the teamsheet instead like in trial games.

Ex Finance person at the club told me that SANFL owned the scoreboard at AFL games and did all their own advertising often against the AFL club sponsors.
They made net profit of 500k a year from it and you know where it went?
It funded the SANFL Budget as it could not be produced otherwise
Whicker thought this (the Budget) was an integral part of the SA Football landscape
Think about where else the money went?

Those profligate megalomaniacs probably used it as toilet paper while they farted out a tune to sing Sanfl the greatest second best league in the world.

We should just play our games at Alberton.

Would make more money from 20K there than 40K at Adelaide Oval.

Plus we're useless at Adelaide Oval anyway.

Funny you say that, was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday.

If we find any crazy rich Chinese sponsors they can fund a massive redevelopment there for us.

Funny you say that, was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday.

If we find any crazy rich Chinese sponsors they can fund a massive redevelopment there for us.
If we did play there, a Geelong-style redevelopment could be something to aim for in the long-term but to start with it could be used as is, perhaps with a couple of temporary stands on the eastern wing to increase capacity slightly.

If we had entered the AFL in 1991 as originally planned, this is what would have happened had the SANFL campaigners denied us the use of Football Park.

There will be plenty of people who will scoff at the idea of us playing at Alberton. Sure, in the ideal world it would be better to play at Adelaide Oval but in the ideal world we wouldn't have the SMA screwing us over.

At the very least, I think we need to use Alberton as a bargaining chip. The threat of us quitting Adelaide Oval and playing at Alberton instead might be enough to force some changes.

If we did play there, a Geelong-style redevelopment could be something to aim for in the long-term but to start with it could be used as is, perhaps with a couple of temporary stands on the eastern wing to increase capacity slightly.

If we had entered the AFL in 1991 as originally planned, this is what would have happened had the SANFL campaigners denied us the use of Football Park.

There will be plenty of people who will scoff at the idea of us playing at Alberton. Sure, in the ideal world it would be better to play at Adelaide Oval but in the ideal world we wouldn't have the SMA screwing us over.

At the very least, I think we need to use Alberton as a bargaining chip. The threat of us quitting Adelaide Oval and playing at Alberton instead might be enough to force some changes.

There is an obvious romance about the idea of playing at Alberton again in fully redeveloped stadium similar to Geelong at Kardinia Park but in reality that's all it is.

Honestly, we cant even use it as a bargaining chip to even make it work in the short term for an AFL game with even a lower crowd (20-25K) would cost a huge amount of money.

Obviously getting a fair stadium deal at Adelaide oval is best, its far better positioned than Alberton is.

As you said, Maybe had our original bit back in 1991 been successful things may have developed this way.

The highlight of that argument is he writes this as fact:

"Adelaide Oval offers both the Port Adelaide and Adelaide football clubs a stadium deal that ranks as one of the best in the AFL."

So how many stadium deals are there..

Adelaide Oval
Marvel
MCG
Geelong
Perth
Gabba
Metricon
Western Sydney/Canberra
SCG
Hobart
Launceston
Alice Springs

I'd LOVE to know which grounds supposedly take a bigger cut than Adelaide Oval does. I'm willing to bet none.

Now that the AFL owns it, ahead of the original deal specifically due to the likes of North and the Dogs getting screwed to the wall, I’d be shocked if Adelaide Oval wasn’t the worst.

Kardinia Park is a licence to print money for Geelong.

Brisbane had government-subsidised sweetheart deals at the Gabba with a dream low breakeven for years, not sure whether this is still the case.

The WAFL don’t have their snouts in the Perth trough to the same extent the SANFL/SMA do.

The Swans specifically agitated to get out of their partial-deal with Homebush to revert to playing 100% of their games at the SCG, so you’d think they’d have a profitable partnership there despite having significantly lower crowds than us.

No idea what’s happening as regards the MCG but the only drumbeat you hear about that venue is clubs getting annoyed at fixturing.

The three-pronged Kornes + Rucci + Whateley propaganda assault last night caught my attention.

I posted a brief biting comment under Kornes’ contribution, knowing it was inadequate. Who reads him anyway.

Whateley came last of the three, was copping the right amount of flak in return, so I left him alone and concentrated on Rucci.

This is the personal email I sent him:

(quote) ‘...Heavy debt created by Port Adelaide fans who have walked away from their club.’ (unquote)

An appalling statement, Rooch, in a generally appalling piece of propaganda.

Port’s financial situation has not been created by the fans. What an ignorant generalisation to make.

It has been created by the failure of the strategy that was designed in 2013 to rescue the Club’s future - the China Strategy.

The blame for this failure lies not with the fans - many of whom have flown to Shanghai three years in a row - it lies with Koch, who stupidly bignoted himself out of China from the moment he set foot there, and with KT who chickened out on turning one Gui into half a dozen.

I will gladly tell you more, provided you have the balls to ask and listen ... and provided you publicly quit your new mercenary position as the Goebbels of Alberton.

This is his reply (just a bit off the point):

I am not sure why you are this way

The Adelaide Oval issue is real, particularly with ticket sales

The club has had no genuine growth since it entered the AFL

The question of whether SA can host two AFL clubs is real

China was a way to put cream on the cake

But the cake is troubled

Here is my reply, focused on the point, which is China:

I am ‘this way’ because I was, and still am, THERE.

I started it ... as you damn well know ... with Matt Richardson’s unique support.

By now the Club should have $5,000,000 surplus in the bank from China.

But they screwed it up in the most abysmal fashion by refusing to seek or listen to advice on China from those who know China better than they do ... which seems to me to be everyone.

You mate and your ilk are the ones tearing the Club apart, plus Koch and KT.

And Hinkley the Inveterate Loser whose ouster I have been calling for since 2017.

My summary:

There are three things for the Club to do to rescue the situation:

1. Rebuild the Club’s product under a new, fresh, youthful, educated, Port-blooded, senior coach who knows Chinese tea is not for chucking over the shoulder just for starters.

2. Get straight back into China with this new product, led by our new board member, and sell our backsides off to very large corporations in need of an international PR partnership via us (and the AFL) and start networking amongst the other countless Guis, Huangs, Lis and Xus of Shanghai, Shandong, Guangdong and Hongkong (before it disappears).

3. Ensure 1. and 2. are supported by, not interfered with by, a chairman, board, and executive structure installed under the banner of SUCCEED OR DIE and totally committed to such a code.
Great post mate. Thanks for the info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's the fans fault

Still top 8 in attendance overall.
yes it's a drop, but when you look at
a) the fixtures we had at home,
b) 2 x 4.10 sunday games,
c) 12.40 sunday game against the Gold Coast
d) the s**t weather we had at games this season.
e) and people getting pissed off with Hinkley and his game style then it doesn't look all that bad, well not as bad as what some people are suggesting in the media.. eg: Rucci, eg: Dillon (flog) eg: crowie on CC..

But it's the fans fault

View attachment 734951

e) and people getting pi**ed off with Hinkley and his game style then it doesn't look all that bad, well not as bad as what some people are suggesting in the media.. eg: Rucci, eg: Dillon (flog) eg: crowie on CC..

f) SMA killing off the GDV

But it's the fans fault

View attachment 734951

e) and people getting pi**ed off with Hinkley and his game style then it doesn't look all that bad, well not as bad as what some people are suggesting in the media.. eg: Rucci, eg: Dillon (flog) eg: crowie on CC..

A better indicator given you have 8 clubs that have to jump on a plane 10 times a year so heavily depend on oppo fans turning up to get the above average.

Last edited:
But it's the fans fault

View attachment 734951

The pertinent question is, hey Rucci, with the worlds greatest stadium deals, how much more money is the PAFC pulling in from these crowds then all the others right? So freo with 7k more fans should really be making a small amount from their games then us with our league best deal right? I bet the difference is in millions in their favour lol

The AFL forced a whole manner of upgrades for Football Park on the SANFL for the Crows to play there. We would never have been allowed to play at Alberton in 1990. The AFL would've made an offer the SANFL couldn't refuse for Football Park usage, or it would've been at Adelaide Oval.

And we have no bargaining chip in Alberton for current AFL games. There's no way the AFL lets us play 11 home games there.

The AFL forced a whole manner of upgrades for Football Park on the SANFL for the Crows to play there. We would never have been allowed to play at Alberton in 1990. The AFL would've made an offer the SANFL couldn't refuse for Football Park usage, or it would've been at Adelaide Oval.

And we have no bargaining chip in Alberton for current AFL games. There's no way the AFL lets us play 11 home games there.
Well that's fine, if the AFL doesn't want us to play at Alberton, they can subsidise us for the loss of revenue we have from playing at Adelaide Oval.

Well that's fine, if the AFL doesn't want us to play at Alberton, they can subsidise us for the loss of revenue we have from playing at Adelaide Oval.
Or since we are going to get s**t crowds anyway next year, tell the SNAFL they'll schedule poor timeslots and teams for both SA sides until Port and Crows get a seat on the SMA board in place of 2 of the SANFL appointees. The AFL has leverage, it should use it.

Listened to Triple M today for the first time in a long time. Andrew Jarman called Kane the 5 minute Fireman, his silly giggle after that just cracked me up. Like a schoolboy.

But it's the fans fault

View attachment 734951

Rucci' response to this on SEN this afternoon was that it was irrelevant if money isn't going over the stores and bars etc. "You have to consider the financials"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back