Roast Highly regarded players whose legacy has been ruined by their media careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah totally. I remember back in the late 80's/early-90's he was responsible for conducting a series of really great interviews for the H/Sun - Open Mike type things. He just lost his marbles after that and has been a pathetic man-baby for the last 20 years.
Would not be surprised if he has CTE

Drew Banfield clearly worst boundary rider/special comments man I've ever heard. Having said that, he actually still seemed like quite a likeable guy. Just hopeless with a microphone in hand and Infront of the camera.

Cooney a dead set flog of the highest order.

Drew Banfield clearly worst boundary rider/special comments man I've ever heard. Having said that, he actually still seemed like quite a likeable guy. Just hopeless with a microphone in hand and Infront of the camera.

Cooney a dead set flog of the highest order.

I actually felt a bit sorry for Banfield. He was clearly out of his comfort zone. He didn't last that long, so he either realised he was no good at it or was given the flick.

As others have probably said, but I will have a go.

Nathan Brown: Not sure why he is in the media to be honest. How may younger people would remember his playing career. He is more remembered for a broken leg and the potential of what he could have been, but wasn't (unfortunately due to said injury). The betting ads are very cringe, but hey I wouldn't be above it so I won't judge.

Gary Lyon: How no one has mentioned this guy yet in the first 4 or 5 pages staggers me. I can't stand him. Comes across as a FIGJAM of the highest order. Just an arrogant, sleazy grease ball. Was an overrated player whose career was defined by being a good player in an ordinary side, and he has pot shots at everyone. He wouldn't know what success was as a player, or as a commentator. At least guys like Dermott know what it takes to be successful. Lyon wouldn't have a clue. Also slept with his best mates wife, then claims to have depression when called out for his behaviour.

Richo: Almost definitely showing Bias here, but I don't mind Richo. Suits his playing image in my opinion. I don't think he tries to be the smartest guy in the room, but I actually think his footy iq is probably a lot people than people probably gave him credit for. As a player he was a bit of a flawed genius and I think he has a likeable persona off field.

Dunstall: The best of all of them. As others have said, it only has enhanced my opinion of him. Clever, level headed and well spoken. Doesn't rush to an opinion or try to be entertaining.Just a good football mind.

BT: An obvious one, but he knows what he's doing. It's a role that many have played before him. People like it or hate it. I'm not a fan, but he adds something to the media.

Billy: Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't think he pretends to be anything other than what he is. Not sure how people dislike him. Seems like a likeable, genuine person to me. Just a simple bloke.

Leppa: Very good comments. Insightful and levelled. Shame he is going to the Pies. Was a big loss from the Tigers coaching ranks.

Carey: Knows what he is talking about, and i respect his footballing opinion very highly. Calls it as he sees and and is generally right when it comes to footy. Obviously a pretty average person off field though. Amazing how he can be forgiven so easily and earn such a living simply because he was a great player.

There are plenty of others, but that will do for now.

Brett Kirk!
Thanks Basil. I just want to give you a bit of an insight into the Saturday afternoon team. We’re a bunch of unique individuals – Malthouse, Harley, Zempilas, McLachlan and myself. We’re gonna engage with our minds and our hearts. We’re gonna exchange ideas, thoughts and even our energy. And to speak from your heart you need to have courage. You need to be honest and authentic. We’re not always gonna get it right. And sometimes, you’re not going to agree with us. But that’s okay, because just like you we care. Just like you, we’re passionate about the game. So if you want to come along for the ride, join us on Saturday arvos, because we just love the footy.

Cornes is a joke overplayed. He knows he is just stirring the pot. It's what he gets paid for I don't value his opinion, but he is making a good living for himself while pissing everyone off. Kind of like his playing career. I don't think anyone takes him too seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes is a joke overplayed. He knows he is just stirring the pot. It's what he gets paid for I don't value his opinion, but he is making a good living for himself while pissing everyone off. Kind of like his playing career. I don't think anyone takes him too seriously.

How can he live with himself knowing that millions think he’s a complete joke? Money I guess…

E
Sam Newman comes to mind, highly regarded ruckman apparently, just a tosser on tv/heraldsun but has a loyal following for some reason.....
Extremely vocal anti lockdown conservative opinions as well. Loves Trump. A sycophant for the bombers during the drugs saga as well. Comes across as pretty intelligent TBH but his views suggest he is just a self centred w***er.

Kane Cornes.. highly regarded footballer? Nah.

Kane Cornes.. highly regarded footballer? Nah.

300 games, 4 best and fairests, 2 All Australians and a premiership. Righto…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back