Universal Love Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephen Wells best list manager in the AFL the reason for Geelongs sustained competitiveness and success.

If he had GWS level picks he would of won multiple flags at the giants
Yeah, he really kept us afloat using first-round picks on Smedts, Thurlow (over Grundy), Lang and Cockatoo.

But I guess he somehow managed to land Dangerfield, a free agent who wanted to go to Geelong only, so that was some kind of list management master stroke.

Yeah, he really kept us afloat using first-round picks on Smedts, Thurlow (over Grundy), Lang and Cockatoo.

But I guess he somehow managed to land Dangerfield, a free agent who wanted to go to Geelong only, so that was some kind of list management master stroke.
let the bitterness and hate flow thru you

Go Catters

let the bitterness and hate flow thru you

Go Catters

Best way to be.

But boy it's tough to be wrong when you see all the flags we won between 2013-2019 though. Particularly the magnificent and justly celebrated contributions of McIntosh, Clark, Henderson, Smith, and Scott Selwood.

Now let's really see the hate flow.

Best way to be.

But boy it's tough to be wrong when you see all the flags we won between 2013-2019 though. Particularly the magnificent and justly celebrated contributions of McIntosh, Clark, Henderson, Smith, and Scott Selwood.

Too late for that, I believe. Basically there already with the embittered vitriol currently on show.

Best way to be.

Aaaah. So it wasn't Scott's fault. Thanks for clearing that up.

Best way to be.

The most spectacular of spectacular failures was McIntosh. Deserves every bit of criticsm levelled at him for that one. No doubt.

You want to see it flow... front row right here.

GO Catters

Best way to be.

No question McIntosh & Clark were duds, but bit unfair on Henderson. His 2016 & 2017 were very good and but for injury he'd have been an automatic selection in 2018 & 2019. Wasn't that long ago we were saying Harry Taylor wasn't needed. Selwood was always a calculated risk, so nobody was surprised.

But more importantly, show me a club that hasn't had its share of questionable recruits. This isn't a unique Geelong thing

there there, eeyore

Gee you are a bitter *

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You spend 15-20 odd years in the seat it's not all going to be magic at work biggie lol.

Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart is recent brilliance I mean we could go further back.

If you can name a better list manager in the AFL by all means do it

Next years draft is a weak one but still broadly i agree with you.

This kind of thing moves in cycles, the draft we just had was at times in the last 12 months both a strong and weak draft.

Players attached to attached to an academies tend to get over hyped early on.

Yep agree - some people here seem to think he is a messiah and how dare anyone question any of his choices !
Like everything, you weigh up the bad against the good.
Some of his choices have been close to disasters.
Some have been ruined by unforeseen bad luck.
Some of his choices have been inspired.
MOST of his choices have been on the money, especially when you consider the draft hand we have been dealt of the past decades.

They have a fair idea this is 12 months out
Twomey couldn’t even get this draft right so why would he be right about next years this early? And news flash having top picks means we can trade into the draft if we want to... we are well set up for next years draft.

now * off back to your own hole

Yep agree - some people here seem to think he is a messiah and how dare anyone question any of his choices !
Name a better person who has done a better job over the years with the same picks we had have over the years

I’ll wait......

oh and before you start sprouting that he gets some picks wrong ...no s**t they all do

I’ll take Wells strike rate over anyone else in the business which is what you haters can’t seem to grasp.

You spend 15-20 odd years in the seat it's not all going to be magic at work biggie lol.

Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart is recent brilliance I mean we could go further back.

If you can name a better list manager in the AFL by all means do it

Just taking 2016-2018 (and acknowledging there have been some big style misses across his 25 years as recruiting manager/list manager), we have the following evidence of Wells having more than a hazy clue:

2016:
Parf (R2)
Stewart (late R2)
Rata (R3)
Narkle (R4)
Henry (rookie)
MOC (Cat B rookie)

All bona fide best 22 for mine. With Zuth and SOS also rookied that year, and still showing something.

2017:
Kells (R2)
Constable (late R2)
Miers (R4)

All three look likely to play long-term AFL senior footy.

2018:
Clark (late R1)
Kreuger (late R2 - equivalent)
Atkins (rookie)

Two are already playing seniors, and I expect Nath to push through into the ones in 2020.

So, in three seasons, that's 12 players who I think look very promising as senior players in the AFL system. With only one of them coming courtesy of a (late) first-round pick.

In the end, if Wells is considered to be not much chop at this caper, I really can't begin to think what that makes so many of his counterparts at other clubs.

Bought some tissues... As I see a few on here still sooking it up.
Boo Hoo. Hehe.
Great gets from the departing TK transaction.
Steven, Jenkins, Stephens, Da King, Frankie Who?, Tahini & Close. Plus 2 picks around the 11-16 selections in 2020.
More exciting, is the chance to see how far Kennerley, Jarvis & Krueger have come on. By all reports doing really well.
FOG is finally fit, injury free & firing, slot him in Round 1.
Sparkle! Finally the penny dropped, turns up in really great shape ready for a BIG year.
And last but not least the BIG COCKIE running freely, looking good surfing down the coast and wanting to showcase himself in what is looming as contract year.
Can't wait on 2020 whatever it may bring.
Cheers Boys & GO CATTERS!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back