Rumour Homesick 2018 Top draftee rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

True or not the go home factor has not so quickly become the biggest joke in the game.

Putting the players, AFL and clubs at side here - wtf are these kids parents doing? I had a pretty lucky upbringing but my folks had no problems being tough, and since a young age they imprinted in my head that when I’m older and out of school I’ll be capable of going anywhere and accomplishing anything - thus I always craved that independence. I’ll teach my kids the same thing. In fact if I got drafted and rang my old man I wanted to come home he’d tell me to suck it up and give it a proper go.

Seems these parents do the complete opposite. You’re a ruddy 2 hour flight away.

Yep your not 17hrs away or on the other side of the world heck we have skype, facetime and all sorts of face to face communication now if your REALLY missing mum or dad.

You have been given a golden opportunity at life clubs invest a lot of money in you if you wanted to choose location of employment tough AFL is a country wide sport choose another career path.

We can't criticize because player managers use the mental health card.

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

A friend of mine had it worse he used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat him around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if he was LUCKY!

And then his mate had it really tough. He and his siblings used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with their tongues. They had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when they got home, their Dad would slice them in two with a bread knife.

And this takes the cake. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Luxury, all of it.

Oops, should have typed it, LOOK-SHURR-EE

Last edited:

As I said before, I firmly suspect it's meddling mothers, playing emotional guilt trips on their 'boo boos' that plays a big factor for the most part.

But the fact the Brisbane Lions have had luck re-signing McLuggage and Rayner in the off-season has to give the Suns hope, get your house in order and kids stay.

FYI I think Stuart Dew is out of his depth up there, someone like Brett Ratten and his maturity and nurturing nature as coach would really help player retention up on the coast imho

To be fair, our most recent draftee loss was very much encouraged by the father.

That’s not how the AFL works, you have to nominate for the draft (with the risk of being drafted interstate) and the individual in question would have known that. If it was such a problem he should have nominated for the VFL draft, played a year or two in the state league, then nominated for the draft after discussions with a local club.

Thats not how life works especially for talented players.

If a club doesnt do their due diligence and cant make an employee happy to move interstate thats their problem.

If the player is good enough clubs in their home state will accomodate them.

I have integrity.

I'd honour my contract or leave understanding I have breached my contract and not expect payment

Yeah but you have 1% of the talent. If you had the talent to get paid 6-figures where you wanted to work instead of 6-figures for a place you don't want to work, 'integrity' would be meaningless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a dumb **** comment. Not a single person is stopping him from retiring from the AFL an working in any construction he wants in his home town.

He wants to play AFL then he works for the AFL, it's not conscription for **** sake.

Go play in the state league if you wanna be at home sucking on mum's **** at the end of the day.

******* lol at the sheer saltiness and passionate anger about some 18 year old thinking he's got the chance to earn a big pay packet in the place he grew up in and wanting to take it.

So many posts ITT mate! They are all Jake Lever's who know their new club will in all likelihood increase their salary (particularly if they return to a Vic club where there may be a bidding war) and are taking the chance. Why so angry?

Just ask them to play AFLX , then you know they are really homesick or faking it .

It isn't Jordan Clark.

He's from Albany and was a pretty good and very, uh, determined footballer even when he was a teenager. He knew he'd probably move interstate for footy.

So much so that he's been in Perth for years, boarding at Hale or something, so he could play more footy for Claremont and be a better chance at selection.

Not many country lads who go to the city on scholarships end up citing homesickness. They've lived away from their parents and dealt with it by the time they're going off to Victoria.

It's usually Vic Metro pussies who want to go back to Melbourne to root all the chicks they didn't get a chance to in year 12 and big note themselves around their extended friendship group.

Such projection. "(Vic) Metro pussies who want to root chicks and big note themselves". Hmmm...:think:

Plus:
-They want to increase their exposure to increase their marketability (which has decades worth of profitability)
-They are generally going to get an increase in salary if returning home to Victoria due to their club of choice being likely to give them a bit extra to ensure they get them over the line
-Vic players have the opportunity more so than other state players to choose a club they see fit for them - flag contenders for older players, up-and-coming clubs for younger players. 10 choices rather than 2. Also increases the likelihood that a trade gets done somewhere so less Kelly, McCarthy types.

And finally: any evidence that you're not just talking out of your ass when you say it's 'usually' Vic Metro players? Plenty of Mayes, Kelly, Lobb types.

FYI I'd much rather play and train at The Gold Coast, than say St Kilda.

Anyone been to Moorabbin and or surrounding suburbs recently? Absolute dump.

Time AFL players and draftees put their big boy pants on, and for over protective parents (mostly Mums I suspect) to let their emotional ties go and support their lad, wherever they play.

You mean Hampton, Bentleigh etc? Biggest dumps in Melbourne. Were directly responsible for Melbourne losing its #1 Worlds most livable city ranking 👍

******* lol at the sheer saltiness and passionate anger about some 18 year old thinking he's got the chance to earn a big pay packet in the place he grew up in and wanting to take it.

So many posts ITT mate! They are all Jake Lever's who know their new club will in all likelihood increase their salary (particularly if they return to a Vic club where there may be a bidding war) and are taking the chance. Why so angry?

What? Lol

And he said he’d never been been away from his brother before and wouldn’t know how to handle it.
I’d laugh at this but I see this type of weakness from kids on the daily. Parents don’t often help with this lack of resilience.

Yeah but you have 1% of the talent. If you had the talent to get paid 6-figures where you wanted to work instead of 6-figures for a place you don't want to work, 'integrity' would be meaningless.
You have no idea.

Its not about my talent or lack of it. Its about honouring a contract. If you think breaking a contract is ok then good luck to you.

What a dumb **** comment. Not a single person is stopping him from retiring from the AFL an working in any construction he wants in his home town.

He wants to play AFL then he works for the AFL, it's not conscription for **** sake.

Go play in the state league if you wanna be at home sucking on mum's **** at the end of the day.
It’s really not a dumb comment at all. The pure outrage in your post is though.

You’re talking about 18yr olds who don’t know what they are in for, or the expectations.

They’ve spent 3-4 years preparing to be drafted, telling themselves that they will play anywhere, that they are ready and that they really want this....then when they are put in that position(sent to the other side of the country) they realize that it’s much harder than they thought and quite possibly completely undersold the chance of going interstate in the first place.

Is this really that surprising that some 19yr olds aren’t as ready to leave home and go it alone as others?

The outrage in here at the sheer audacity of a few 19yr olds getting homesick is truly amazing.

It’s really not a dumb comment at all. The pure outrage in your post is though.

You’re talking about 18yr olds who don’t know what they are in for, or the expectations.

They’ve spent 3-4 years preparing to be drafted, telling themselves that they will play anywhere, that they are ready and that they really want this....then when they are put in that position(sent to the other side of the country) they realize that it’s much harder than they thought and quite possibly completely undersold the chance of going interstate in the first place.

Is this really that surprising that some 19yr olds aren’t as ready to leave home and go it alone as others?

The outrage in here at the sheer audacity of a few 19yr olds getting homesick is truly amazing.

He said they have no choice in their employment. Re read the post hero

Remove this Banner Ad

Back