Rumour Homesick 2018 Top draftee rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got twins in their mid 30s now. their world is really different to the rest of the family - they have always been cLoser to each other than the rest of us. They have spent time apart (including different continents) but always drift back together within a year. Won't be at all surprised if the king twins end up together.
Welcome to the Gold Coast Max ;)

Can’t be bothered reading whole thread....so who are we talking about...Ben King?

Some non descript rumour with no basis about someone in the 'Top 15' who is homesick and wants to go home

Ben King I guess has some high risk features for being a person to feel homesick - Vic Metro, twin brother.

Zero evidence of any kind as far as I'm aware of to suggest he is anything except happy though.

Such projection. "(Vic) Metro pussies who want to root chicks and big note themselves". Hmmm...:think:

Plus:
-They want to increase their exposure to increase their marketability (which has decades worth of profitability)
-They are generally going to get an increase in salary if returning home to Victoria due to their club of choice being likely to give them a bit extra to ensure they get them over the line
-Vic players have the opportunity more so than other state players to choose a club they see fit for them - flag contenders for older players, up-and-coming clubs for younger players. 10 choices rather than 2. Also increases the likelihood that a trade gets done somewhere so less Kelly, McCarthy types.

And finally: any evidence that you're not just talking out of your ass when you say it's 'usually' Vic Metro players? Plenty of Mayes, Kelly, Lobb types.
Your first point is pretty much horseshit.

You have limited marketability in Sydney and Queensland, but if you're a superstar that's mitigated by 'ambassadorial roles.' Tom Lynch is on a million odd at Richmond, but he would've gotten that + a million more to be an AFL ambassador. That's basically the same as a sponsorship.

But how many players can really be on billboards for trucking companies or ads for Rebel Sport? Not many. In Melbourne you're probably going to be drowned out by the 300 other middling to average players. In Perth and Adelaide, with less competition, you might actually be a better chance of snatching something.

Number two just shows they care about money more than anything else. No problem with that, make of football what you want, but own that fact. Say the money was just better and that's your intention – don't spin out cliches to appease supporters old and new.

I just think people want to live in Melbourne because it's a trendy, happening city. They also want to play in front of big crowds. Then there's the allure of Anzac Day matches, season openers. Also, playing for a 150-year old club is definitely appealing even to dumb arses who would think 150 years ago was when World War II happened or it was like the Wild West.

But ultimately most guys who come home just want to be with their mates and be the man. Social media and popularity and insularity is a real common denominator for the yoof, but footballers are especially. They all think they're funny and love rattling off little in-jokes on instagram #ooffah #leggyteggy #thesnapper. They just want to be cool campaigners.

Go back an re read the previous posts before wasting more of my time
I read your posts.

You’re outraged that a kid who choose to play AFL football may not have completely understood how hard it might be to leave his family and friends, and now you’re wailing that he should just quit the sport. I get it.

You’re irrational.

Last edited:
I read your posts.

You’re outraged that a kid who choose to play AFL football may not have completely understood how hard it might be to leave his family and friends, and now your wailing that he shook just quit the sport. I get it.

You’re irrational.
Luckily those same players didn’t want to be a soccer player and went and did an apprenticeship at 14 over in Europe or go to a US college and pursue basketball, gridiron etc because god help them. Amazes me that entitled AFL kids that have been told how amazing they are since a young age get homesick being no more than a 4 hour flight away.

It even further amazes me how few kids from Tasmania or NT or kids taken late in the draft or rookies that get homesick. Pretty soft and convenient excuse for kids from Melbourne, particularly ones taken in the top 30 that are forced interstate.

Luckily those same players didn’t want to be a soccer player and went and did an apprenticeship at 14 over in Europe or go to a US college and pursue basketball, gridiron etc because god help them. Amazes me that entitled AFL kids that have been told how amazing they are since a young age get homesick being no more than a 4 hour flight away.

It even further amazes me how few kids from Tasmania or NT or kids taken late in the draft or rookies that get homesick. Pretty soft and convenient excuse for kids from Melbourne, particularly ones taken in the top 30 that are forced interstate.
Do you think that no kids who have pursued NBA or Soccer have got homesick?

They’re completely different pathways by the way, AFL juniors by and large live at home until they are drafted....some then get homesick. Shock horror.

Most likely Ben king. Don’t the rents 5 mins from Moorabbin? And he said he’d never been been away from his brother before and wouldn’t know how to handle it. He’ll be at the Saints within a couple years I’d say
Wants to be in melbourne as in same city, so not St kilda just. but keep wishing

He mentioned he was hoping the dogs selected him with their 1st pick on the Wednesday before the draft to stay in Melbourne
Vast majority of Victorian players say that they hope to be picked up by whatever Vic team is closest to where they're likely to go - everything from the King camp has been really positive. Plenty of noise he's going to extend for another 2 years soon as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vast majority of Victorian players say that they hope to be picked up by whatever Vic team is closest to where they're likely to go - everything from the King camp has been really positive. Plenty of noise he's going to extend for another 2 years soon as well
Hope so as i like the Gold Coast

Josh Schache also extended his contract for a further two years, didn't turn out well for the Lions, so I'd take no solace that any extension will necessarily keep him up there.

I would say Schache is the exception rather than the rule.
Of course, but in this day and age of contracts not meaning a lot and of players drafted interstate to where they're from and wanting to get home, you can't rule it out either or take too much comfort in an extension. IF anything, a player re-signing may give the club more bargaining power, but ultimately, most players do get to where they want to go, which is crap for clubs north of the Murray.

I read your posts.

You’re outraged that a kid who choose to play AFL football may not have completely understood how hard it might be to leave his family and friends, and now you’re wailing that he should l just quit the sport. I get it.

You’re irrational.
Why not just let them play AFLX , 20 minutes fast and easy and then Go home . No stress about homesick.
Soccer star retire play beach and indoor soccer for fun . [Cantona, Ronaldo (Brazil)].
If you are professional players you play pro sports.
If you are semi-pro or amateurs type you play AFLX .

Last edited:
Why not just let them play AFLX , 20 minutes fast and easy and then Go home . No stress about homesick.
Soccer star retire play beach and indoor soccer for fun . [Cantona, Ronaldo (Brazil)].
If you are professional players you play pro sports.
If you are semi-pro or amateurs type you play AFLX .
Why not just stop being outraged and recognize that some 19yr olds who have never left home get homesick when they move interstate?

Why not just stop being outraged and recognize that some 19yr olds who have never left home get homesick when they move interstate?
There is genuinely no excuse for homesickness to the extent of requesting to go home in the AFL. You're not being asked to leave the country, or live in poor conditions or work in dangerous places. You're being sent a maximum of 2 1/2 flight away to be paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (minimum), live in your home country, play a sport you opted to get drafted into, and receive adoration from thousands of people.

Players who leave because they were offered more money or more opportunity elsewhere - sure - as much as people love loyalty, I can understand players wanting to maximise their wealth or opportunity in what is generally a short career (in the grand scheme of things - for the best players it's essentially 12 - 16 years). But not being able to live away from your parents intermittently for 8 months of the year is really poor. It makes the AFL's equalisation system a joke. It makes the players look like sooks and it looks really bad that the AFL would even allow it to continue to happen.

The AFL if they were serious, would introduce anti-tampering rules like they have in the NBA. No contact with players until they're out of contract. players also shouldn't have any say in where they go until they reach free agency anyway. If they demand to leave let the club find the best possible trade for them. If that happens to be sending you to WA, SA, NSW or QLD then so be it.

Understanding players GETTING homesick is one thing. Most people experience it to some extent after they leave home. Letting them use that 'homesickness' as an excuse to bully their current club into getting traded to somewhere else is another. Particularly when, most of the time it simply isn't true - and was pointed out earlier
Not many country lads who go to the city on scholarships end up citing homesickness. They've lived away from their parents and dealt with it by the time they're going off to Victoria.

It's usually Vic Metro pussies who want to go back to Melbourne to root all the chicks they didn't get a chance to in year 12 and big note themselves around their extended friendship group.

Honestly, I stopped reading here.

19yr old who had never lived out of home moves interstate and gets homesick....

I’M OUTRAGED!
If you had actually read another 8 words you'd realise i'm not criticising a kid being homesick. I'm criticising their 'right' to just pack up and leave because they miss home.

All well and good to claim a moral high ground when the system has, and will continue to benefit your club.

Hundreds of millions of people across the globe have to travel for work. The vast majority of those work in menial roles, including construction, domestic service, agriculture, and other unskilled labour roles. Many of these people have taken on debt to get to where they are as it offers them an opportunity to save a small amount of money.

What relevance has this you may ask? All players who nominate for the draft know they risk being picked up by an interstate club. It’s a small price to pay for the opportunity to play at the pinnacle of their sport, where a lucrative career awaits them.
They do know that nominating for the draft that there is a chance they'll be picked up interstate, but they also know that they can request a trade back home and still have the same lucrative career. It seems a little childish to do that but end of the day if people are getting away with in, why not request a move where all your friends and family are?

Only solution is to increase rookie contracts to 4 years where they are locked in and then give the team that drafted them a chance at offering them the most money when the extension comes up. Leaving massive amounts of $$ is the only way it'll work.

Do agree with what you've said though, but if it's an option for these players - well why wouldn't they take it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back