Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it the Essendon 34 were not allowed to train with their team mates or play in any organised competition yet the Russian athletes, who are also banned, are allowed to participate in a State organised Russian Games in lieu of the Olympics?

Shouldn't these people also be banned from all forms of organised competition?
Good point! Perhaps because Putin doesn't give a stuff?

How is it the Essendon 34 were not allowed to train with their team mates or play in any organised competition yet the Russian athletes, who are also banned, are allowed to participate in a State organised Russian Games in lieu of the Olympics?

Shouldn't these people also be banned from all forms of organised competition?
Are they sanctioned by the international sporting federations?

Nothing stopping the 34 organising their own comp, but they just have to live with the consequences that their ban gets time stops when they do that and if the AFL still is a signatory to WADA then they have to ignore that time when calculating the days they have been banned.

Are they sanctioned by the international sporting federations?

Nothing stopping the 34 organising their own comp, but they just have to live with the consequences that their ban gets time stops when they do that and if the AFL still is a signatory to WADA then they have to ignore that time when calculating the days they have been banned.

Which is where the team sport scenario is different and unfair. 197 individual athletes can organise a meaningful meet between themselves but it is a bit difficult for 34 AFL footballers to do this.

My bold
Aided and abetted by Graeme 'Gubby' grubby Allan who somehow knew the AFL testers were out n about n heading 'the giants' way.
and who
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tions-texts-were-deleted-20160830-gr4xi1.html
Allan admitted a business partnership with Craig Brittain, who Allan signed to a contract worth an estimated $70,000 annually to work with the AFL-funded Giants as a part-time pro scout.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tions-texts-were-deleted-20160830-gr4xi1.html
Is he heading to C'wood. Could be a good fit for both parties

"History repeats... first as tragedy, then as farce" -Marx

Let me try and get this straight, reading through the Age story and without presumptions of guilt.

Star player allegedly takes illicit party drug, gets off his tree. Soon-to-be-former girlfriend contacts club officials fearing for his welfare. Said star also allegedly contacts club officials fearing he may fail random *PED* test as a result of ... his poor lifestyle choices.

Two highly experienced club officials allegedly arrange to "hide" player from PED testers, which offence draws a hugely more severe penalty than taking party drugs (per my understanding of the AFL code relating to party drugs).

Official A) allegedly deletes relevant texts, official B) denies doing same. Said act would be abetting the "hiding" offence and also incur a huge penalty.

Club notifies AFL, stating "we investigated fully, using counsel, within strictly limited club powers of investigation, nothing to see here, move along...".

AFL goes "...what the???" and conducts integrity investigations of its own, with a view to reporting findings to ASADA for potential action.

Football world goes "...oh God, not again, I'm sick of this **** and it's the ****ing AFL's golden child this time, they won't want this to blow up"

General Public goes "...how could they possibly be that stupid after all that sport has been through recently. No better than PEDheads in League".

Smartarse dude on internet with limited footy and chemistry nous goes "...since when were illicit party drugs officially designated as masking agents for PEDs by WADA/ASADA? If they aren't, why wouldn't you just take your 'first strike' on the party drug count instead of committing a far more serious offence? If you don't know what you took, because you were off your tree, why compound it by avoiding the test. Something genuinely stinks here. Too many people have made too many uncharacteristically unprofessional errors ... in series."

Let me try and get this straight, reading through the Age story and without presumptions of guilt.

Star player allegedly takes illicit party drug, gets off his tree. Soon-to-be-former girlfriend contacts club officials fearing for his welfare. Said star also allegedly contacts club officials fearing he may fail random *PED* test as a result of ... his poor lifestyle choices.

Two highly experienced club officials allegedly arrange to "hide" player from PED testers, which offence draws a hugely more severe penalty than taking party drugs (per my understanding of the AFL code relating to party drugs).

Official A) allegedly deletes relevant texts, official B) denies doing same. Said act would be abetting the "hiding" offence and also incur a huge penalty.

Club notifies AFL, stating "we investigated fully, using counsel, within strictly limited club powers of investigation, nothing to see here, move along...".

AFL goes "...what the???" and conducts integrity investigations of its own, with a view to reporting findings to ASADA for potential action.

Football world goes "...oh God, not again, I'm sick of this **** and it's the ****ing AFL's golden child this time, they won't want this to blow up"

General Public goes "...how could they possibly be that stupid after all that sport has been through recently. No better than PEDheads in League".

Smartarse dude on internet with limited footy and chemistry nous goes "...since when were illicit party drugs officially designated as masking agents for PEDs by WADA/ASADA? If they aren't, why wouldn't you just take your 'first strike' on the party drug count instead of committing a far more serious offence? If you don't know what you took, because you were off your tree, why compound it by avoiding the test. Something genuinely stinks here. Too many people have made too many uncharacteristically unprofessional errors ... in series."

Just waiting for the plausible deniability bit to be inserted into the story. ;) Or is that the bit where the so called girlfriend rings up to say s**t might have happened??

Just waiting for the plausible deniability bit to be inserted into the story. ;) Or is that the bit where the so called girlfriend rings up to say s**t might have happened??

I Am Not A Lawyer (great acronym, that) but it seems to me all parties can deny legitimate knowledge of exactly what was taken because everything about the alleged drugs allegedly consumed sounds like hearsay. Whitless may have paid through the nose for expensive cornflour and got slightly angsty about the resulting constipation and shortness of breath for all he, his girlfriend and the former GWS officials may know. Hilarious. Not sure ASADA are testing for cornflour these days.

Box of cornflour $2. Losing a few years of your career for avoiding not being tested for cornflour: priceless.

Morons of course. Ok did the case of the Collingwood players who's coke was cut? with whatever it was that got them 2 year's cross their mind?

Morons of course. Ok did the case of the Collingwood players who's coke was cut? with whatever it was that got them 2 year's cross their mind?
You wouldn't cut coke with clenbuterol.
The savings would be minimal.

You wouldn't cut coke with clenbuterol.
The savings would be minimal.
But its nice plausible deniability to the average AFL fan and media num nut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could be an avoidance of the "recreational drug" "third strike" fallout, but yeah the stench is strong and lingering.

No surprise to see Tracey Holmes as the compere :rolleyes:
I had a bloody lot of respect for Tracey in the 1990's when she worked on ABC Radio sports, heading up the national sports coverage, their Olympics coverage in 1992 and 1996 and living in Sydney I heard her a lot on Sydney sports coverage in that period, and then 7 pinched her in late 1998, or early 1999 to be a main player for their Olympics coverage and she did those lead up half hour programs about the Games and athletes for around 18 months, and she did a great job on that as well.

I don't know whether the fall out from the BS where Kerry Stokes intervened and basically sacked her a few weeks before the Olympics because she hooked up with Stan Grant and Grant walked out on his wife and kids, and it was a public and bitter walk out,, has effected her and made her a person who crusades for justice, but she has lost it IMO and is very average now days in her general analysis of sports.

I don't give a s**t about what happened with Grant and her - Grant was the host of Today Tonight in 2000 - but the rotten headlines like Holmes Wrecker, losing the Olympics gig, being constantly hounded and then effectively being driven out of the country for them to both end up working first in Asia and then Europe fora decade or so, must have had some impact on her view of defending the innocent until proven guilty types.

AFL and ASADA pumping up their handball stats...

ASADA leaves Whitfield probe in AFL's hands

THE AUSTRALIAN Sports Anti-Doping Authority will continue to keep its distance from the AFL's investigation into Greater Western Sydney midfielder Lachie Whitfield.

Whitfield is under investigation for allegedly avoiding drug testers by staying at the home of then Giants welfare manager Craig Lambert last year.

Lambert and Graeme 'Gubby' Allan, the former Giants football boss who this week was installed as Collingwood's new head of footy, have also been cooperating with the inquiry.

ASADA has confirmed it was briefed by the AFL Integrity Unit on Thursday.

"On 1st September, the AFL's Integrity Department briefed ASADA on their investigation into the conduct of a current listed player of the GWS Giants Football Club and two former members of staff of that club. A copy of the investigator's report was provided to ASADA at that meeting," ASADA said in a statement.

But the anti-doping watchdog left the case in the AFL's hands, at least for now.

Lisa Forrest against legalising drugs in sport. Dank for it, but doesn't want it to become a "drugathon". Believes testing regimes could be much more rigorous if the processes were open. Claims the East German successes (for example against Lisa) weren't entirely due to the drugs".

Head spinning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third panelist in favour of legalising more substances but not Dank's open slather. Ings shrugs somewhat defensively and says the system is letting everyone down but we have rules in sport just as we have rules in life...

Youngest athlete tested: 9 years old.

Youngest athlete banned: 12 years old.

The urine testing procedures are ... pretty damn invasive for a kid. Parental concerns.

Dank on soapbox "I was told the gear was ok" again. Sigh.

Also complaining about HGH being banned despite showing "no performance enhancing effects in multiple peer reviewed studies".

Ings thinks liberalising would open the floodgates to steroid use in high school sport. The epidemiology of current use is not highly regarded. What is really happening now?

Dank doesn't understand how the various anti-doping agencies became "moral arbiters".

Dank says there are dickhead coaches out there. Host says "I've heard that said about you" to which Dank snaps "yes but I'm a smart dickhead".

Dank claims he was never about enhancement, he was all about "tissue treatment".

The MELTS will be delicious if Crows make the SANFL GF, and if they win, oh my! 'No AFL in the SANFL' were upset enough at Port making a GF but at least the Magpies have given much much MUCH more than they have ever taken from the SANFL. The Crows, on the other hand...

The Crows ARE the SANFL.

Their entire existence is based on the SANFL wanting to 'own' the first AFL team in SA. The SANFL clubes reaped the rewards for a quarter of a century and now their bastard child is coming back to play in their watered down comp they're all pissy about it.

Does feel strange though. Imagine if the AFL took all the best players to set up a fabricated team to play in its own competi ... hold on a second!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back