Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Hinkley declaring "Bigfooty, you were wrong"

Votes: 21 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a little chuckle last night at the thought of Ken and Jonas holding up the premiership cup and that image being etched in our history….the melts on here would be nuclear level….

I would love to see it. I cannot ******* stand Hinkley, but I would desperately love to eat the humble pie.

The problem is the guy always fails the acid test, so I have zero confidence that this scenario ever takes place.

Personally I wouldn't wanna be tempting fate there, Nostradamus. We all love the feck outta our young midfield, but the future is so uncharted. There are serious injuries that could happen (I will not utter those acronyms here) ... players losing form, becoming disenchanted and/or homesick, etc etc.

Personally I'm happy to love the s**t outta every game they play together and let the future take care of itself.
Rozee durable, JHF building unlikely for go home, Butters however we rely on and is exposed to injury

Rozee durable, JHF building unlikely for go home, Butters however we rely on and is exposed to injury

Does being 'durable' mean that you're somehow immune to the vaguaries of the physics of footy collisions, getting limbs caught in the wrong place, etc? Noone that plays our sport is immune to the possibility of ACLs, broken bones etc etc. We're not talkin soft tissue injuries....

I'm still invested in our season. I think we can do go all the way.

Until that changes, I'm all in.
Same here. If we go out in straight sets or get embarrassed in a prelim again I'll be finding something else to do next year.

On one hand, all of the top 4 feel a bit off their peak form earlier in the year. Whoever brings it all together in September probably wins it, and that could be Port, although Collingwood/Melbourne are in the box seat with default home advantage.

On the other, Ken got his payday and we made finals. Job done.

The excuses of Dixon, Lycett and McKenzie all being injured late in the season are already there. So there will be no media pressure for another failure - it'll be sold as a brave successful season.
Unlike other years there is no dominate team and the best team the Pies, have suffered two very important injuries.
If they knock off the Lions (and we will know the results prior to playing Freo); we could finish in second spot (box seat).

I'm still invested in our season. I think we can do go all the way.

Until that changes, I'm all in.
Yeah getting over the initial anger from yesterday (still angry) I'd love to be proven wrong

Don't expect to be but will be happily surprised

Rage will kick back up if we finish this season on anything but a win

We have a very talented midfield that can destroy teams.
We have a very offensive but not the best defensive defence.
We have a good forward array.
We have a few match winners.

We are poorly coached and matchups are super important in finals.
We don't have a steady ruck situation.
We have a few guys who might be shown out in finals like McEntee, Jonas, even Boak playing in the middle, etc.

We don't play well against aggressive contested ball teams like Collingwood, Carlton and the Crows. Even Sydney to some
extent. I am worried about these teams a bit more than the others, strategically.

A good coach in the finals and they are quite rare especially around Alberton but generally overall in the AFL would play
us with their normal game up until quarter time and if we look like we are about to get any ascendancy, lock down into
hard, contested ball and tighten up space and we will find it difficult to create good chances for the rest of the game.

Unlike other years there is no dominate team and the best team the Pies, have suffered two very important injuries.
If they knock off the Lions
(and we will know the results prior to playing Freo); we could finish in second spot (box seat).

Suggest you check the Pies updated-today list of outs and questionables for this weekend, which includes "things to play for".

As for us, Carr's specific insights may be useful this weekend, but one of our long term Ken-era bad habits on field is tripping up over expectation. I'd rather we played Freo before the Pies-Lions. Hopefully we get over the line without any significant injury toll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The three things I'm concerned about in finals:

1) We don't put teams to the sword often enough when we have the advantage. We give teams a look. Our conversion has been pretty poor.
2) We've yet to get over Collingwood, Carlton or Adelaide
3) We have a bad habit of shitting the bed in big games we are expected to win. I'm not convinced our home ground 'advantage' is all that great in big games.

I reckon we are a huge chance if

1. The 3 dynamos stand up and have big games throughout the finals
2. We kick straight and take our opportunites
3. have some luck with injuries

I reckon only collingwood is in our way.

The three things I'm concerned about in finals:

1) We don't put teams to the sword often enough when we have the advantage. We give teams a look.
2) Our conversion has been pretty poor.
3) We've yet to get over Collingwood, Carlton or Adelaide
4) We have a bad habit of shitting the bed in big games we are expected to win.
5) I'm not convinced our home ground 'advantage' is all that great in big games.
I like it a lot but I'm counting 5 concerns and I agree with them all wholeheartedly. I've edited it. Hope you don't mind.

We are more than good enough to win the flag, but we’ve been more than good enough for most of the last decade but have only gone close twice, and have been miles off the rest of that period.

This year has disappointment written all over it, again.

At AO - Home finals:
Port V Coll - 50% chance
Port V Bris - 60%
Port V Melb - 70%
Port V Carlton - 70%
Port V Adelaide - 40%
Port V Sydney - 80%
Port V Dogs - 75%
Port V Saints - 95%

Away Final chances:
Coll V Port - 10%
Bris V Port - 5%
Melb V Port - 30%
Carlton, Adelaide, Sydney, Dogs, can't host Port in a final from here.

For mine we need to beat Freo, and Bris to lose Friday, to finish 2nd. Without that we have basically no chance of getting to a GF.

If we don't make top 2, the best path to a GF IMO is if we lost the first final and ended on a Melb home prelim draw. Melb would need to beat Coll in the QF but, I personally believe that's our best chance of winning an away final.

We still face the huge risk of facing the Crows at some stage in a home final which could put us out in straight sets.

I want to make a GF, I want to win a flag, but right now I'm not a believer. Staying fit from here, as well as the fitness of Lycett, Dixon and McKenzie, and their form, will be the most crucial elements to our chances

4th place might not be too bad this year given Daicos and Moore might miss the first round of finals. Would genuinely back us in to beat them, even over there, then we just hope someone else can knock them out in the next two rounds

4th place might not be too bad this year given Daicos and Moore might miss the first round of finals. Would genuinely back us in to beat them, even over there, then we just hope someone else can knock them out in the next two rounds

interesting notion, especially if JHF has turned a corner, him, Rozee & Butters working equally well together all on the same day would make us competitive no matter how poorly we were finishing in front of goal

I agree I think I would be more comfortable playing Collingwood rather than brizzy at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back