Opinion How does this backline compare to that of the dynasty's?

Remove this Banner Ad

VerC

Debutant
Aug 15, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Of course we'd be comparing different eras where back then it was more 1 on 1 defending but surely this group would be up there with Scarlett, Enright, Egan, Taylor if not on the same level.

A better talking point is:

This backline is potentially better for our current game style than aging versions of the 2013-2021 group (Mackie, Rivers, Taylor, Enright and Hendo all good-outstanding players but by the end of their careers just ran out of legs).

It takes a bit for me to say that as they all performed admirably till the end. But an injection of youth and development of mid tier players there has helped. Especially when Duncan can operate off a back flank to improve ball use.

Premature comparison. Also, check the names here…

Harley Scarlett Enright
Milburn Taylor/Egan Mackie

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Hands down the best defense of all time…. Literally the only defensive group I have ever heard of that 6/6 regular defenders went on to become AA’s at some point in their careers before retirement. Absolute freak of nature that defensive mix. Regardless of what happens next weekend this group is not qualified to even shine their shoes.

Harley Scarlett Enright

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Harley, Milburn, Mackie are all good without being stars. I think this group has better medium defenders and the old had better talls and smalls

Harley, Milburn, Mackie are all good without being stars. I think this group has better medium defenders and the old had better talls and smalls

Harley, Dasher and Mackie were all AA at some point, pretty incredible back six overall.

That back 6 would be arguably (not to me, it's definite) the Greatest back 6 of all time.
This current back 6 is easily the best in the comp.
Absolutely no disrespect to the current group, but that's a large distinction.

Stewart is a star and he's probably the only one of that 6 who could stand next to Scarlett, Enright, Taylor.

Can’t compare as the team in the dynasty years will not be repeated.
But the current team is able to play a faster game style partly because of a much better backline mix than we’ve had in recent times.
As good as some of those players were like Taylor and Hendo we were too tall and slow. We really only have Dekoning as a genuine tall defender.
Kolo and Henry can play tall with Stewart proving great aerial support.

Bews and Guthrie also having great seasons. Would be great to add to our small defenders and McKenna would be a great way to do that.
There have been times this year that Duncan has been a bit suspect when defending this year. But he was really good last night in getting back and defending.

Harley Scarlett Enright

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Yeah on paper this defence is full of rookies and no names compared to the absolute hall of fame legends we had in defence. So that defence is way better than this one player for player.

But what i love about our current defenders is how everyone knows their role and leaves to support each other so we rarely get defenders isolated one on one. Its a fantastic system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below was the backline for 2011. Mackie named on a wing.

Hunt vs Bews
Scarlett vs SDK
Lonergan vs Henry
Taylor vs Kolo
Enright vs Stewart
Wojo vs Zuthrie

Bews has probably passed Hunt
SDK will be amazing but Scarlett was a Great
Henry could equal Lonners achievements in time
Kolo unlikely to reach Taylor’s career heights
Stewart to fall short of Enright but close
Zuthrie could be as good as Wojo in time

77e30f464a9e4f1cc4db3086d8d7c717.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt vs Bews
Scarlett vs SDK
Lonergan vs Henry
Taylor vs Kolo
Enright vs Stewart
Wojo vs Zuthrie

Bews is a better defender than Hunt but I'd still have Hunt for his kicking.

Scarlett

Lonergan

Taylor

I think Stewart, I rate him as better in the air.

I've been a Zuthrie fan since the start, it's only his breakout season but I think I'd have him over Wojo's scattergun and inconsistent approach.

A couple of years earlier and I'd take Harley over Lonergan.

I'm a huge fan of defenders who mark as much as they can and spoil only when they absolutely need to.

Hunt vs Bews
Scarlett vs SDK
Lonergan vs Henry
Taylor vs Kolo
Enright vs Stewart
Wojo vs Zuthrie

Thinking about it like a real line up: 2022 Stewart and Bews would replace 2011 Lonergan and Hunt. Taylor and Scarlett would be the two keys for sure. Stewart has been playing taller lately. With Stewart's increased attacking ability in place of Lonners you can have Bews as your more classic lockdown back pocket.

If Zuthrie has a great GF you can definitely debate him replacing Wojo, his year has been that good. Less pace but better ball use and defending.

FB: Stewart-Scarlett-Bews
HB: Enright-Taylor-Zuthrie

Wojo as a lightning option off the bench. I mean Tuohy has been an excellent back flanker too...

Thinking about it like a real line up: 2022 Stewart and Bews would replace 2011 Lonergan and Hunt. Taylor and Scarlett would be the two keys for sure. Stewart has been playing taller lately. With Stewart's increased attacking ability in place of Lonners you can have Bews as your more classic lockdown back pocket.

If Zuthrie has a great GF you can definitely debate him replacing Wojo, his year has been that good. Less pace but better ball use and defending.

Wojo as a lightning option off the bench. I mean Tuohy has been an excellent back flanker too...
Henry instead of zuthrie. Might go with lonergan over Taylor depending on match ups. Lonergan was much better on the bigger players like franklin and cloke then Taylor.

I rate bews but might go with wojo instead. It's very close.

For me it would be:

FB: Scarlett Lonergan Stewart
HB: Enright Taylor Duncan
I/C: Mackie

And De Konning for Lonergan is the one that could easily be replaced in hindsight a few years from now.

It might not have been named that way, but for all intent and purpose these are the best 7 from those two teams.

The big weakness in the dynasty backline was Josh Hunt. He wouldn't have played in the 2007 premiership if Matt Egan had been fit.

If the current backline is part of the premiership team this Saturday, I would rate it as better than 2007-11 variety both in terms of personnel and how they cohere as a unit.

The big weakness in the dynasty backline was Josh Hunt. He wouldn't have played in the 2007 premiership if Matt Egan had been fit.

If the current backline is part of the premiership team this Saturday, I would rate it as better than 2007-11 variety both in terms of personnel and how they cohere as a unit.

Yet with Scarlett and Enright that backlist had 2 of the greatest back players of all time.

Yet with Scarlett and Enright that backlist had 2 of the greatest back players of all time.
True, but I think the current line-up overall has 2007 covered in terms of how they work together as a unit.

Bews must be one of the most overlooked and underrated defenders in the competition, there's Stewart, Jack Henry is a pillar, SDK who can only get bigger and better, and even Kolo hit a purple patch against the Lions. They are damaging on the rebound while being very difficult to score against.

I guess I could find room in the team for a 27-year-old Scarlett and/or Enright if you twisted my arm, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back