How many games will Geelong win this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

SeinDude

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2002
Retired
How many games does everyone think Geelong will win this season? So far, we're 6 wins and 6 losses with 10 games to play, and are really showing some great team spirit down at Skilled Stadium.

We have a very young list, but they're learing every week and getting better and more confident with each game they play. Players like Corey Enright, Joel Corey, Kent Kingsley, Cameron Ling, Paul Chapman, Matthew Scarlett and David Clarke are starting to show what they're capable of, and with the inclusions of some exciting first year players such as Bartel, Kelly, Ablett Jnr. & Rooke, we're definately heading in the right direction. :):)

Geelong just needs to get more from their senior players. Peter Riccardi has had a good year to date and Steven King is getting better with every game, but we still need more from Ben Graham and Ronnie Burns. If this happens, we could just surprise everyone!!

GEELONG'S RUN HOME:
Richmond @ MCG
West Coast @ Skilled Stadium
Collingwood @ MCG
Essendon @ Colonial
Adelaide @ Skilled Stadium
Kangaroos @ Skilled Stadium
St Kilda @ Colonial
Fremantle @ Subiacco
Brisbane @ Skilled Stadium
Hawthorn @ Colonial

What does everyone think?

Go Cats!! :cool:
SeinDude

Looking at that home run, I'd say they'd win another 5 or 6. One thing I learnt long ago though was that you can't trust Geelong. So in that case they'll probably beat Essendon, Collingwood, Brisbane and Adelaide, and lose to St Kilda and Richmond.

Honestly I'd love to see Geelong make the finals, , but that's one club which is impossible to predict at this point of the season.

Here's how I think the Cats will fare in the last 10 games:

Richmond @ MCG - Win
West Coast @ Skilled Stadium - Win
Collingwood @ MCG - Loss
Essendon @ Colonial - Loss
Adelaide @ Skilled Stadium - Win
Kangaroos @ Skilled Stadium - Loss
St Kilda @ Colonial - Win
Fremantle @ Subiacco - Loss
Brisbane @ Skilled Stadium - Loss
Hawthorn @ Colonial - Loss

Sorry mate, only see you winning another 4 for the season which will leave you on 10 wins.

How's their percentage compared to other teams around them? With so much congestion around that point of the ladder, 12 wins may not be enough to make the 8.

Originally posted by SeinDude (with my predictions embellished)

GEELONG'S RUN HOME:
Richmond @ MCG = WIN
West Coast @ Skilled Stadium = WIN
Collingwood @ MCG = LOSS
Essendon @ Colonial = WIN
Adelaide @ Skilled Stadium = WIN
Kangaroos @ Skilled Stadium = WIN
St Kilda @ Colonial = WIN
Fremantle @ Subiacco = LOSS
Brisbane @ Skilled Stadium = WIN
Hawthorn @ Colonial = WIN

Four games at home, and only one interstate trip... the remaining schedule definitely favours the Cats.

If the win all the games at Kardinia Park, they basically have to win two other games to have a realistic shot at the finals place they're craving. I'll go out on a limb and say that they get those by beating Essendon and St. Kilda at Colonial-- and the Collingwood game at the 'G will be a bit of a touch-and-go, but they'll fall short against an in-form Magpies side.

And yes, they'll win at home against Brisbane. Bear in mind that the Lions are poor travelers. Also, with two wins to end the season, they'll have momentum entering the finals.

All in all, I see a sixth-place spot entering the postseason.

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by The Warrior
I think that Geelong are very overated!

If they win another 2 they will be lucky.

Overrated in which way?

Many thought we'd finish last and despite being outside the 8 on percentage still no one rates us.

We are a little underrated, if anything, definitely not overrated.

Re: Re: How many games will Geelong win this season?

Originally posted by you_idiot
the Collingwood game at the 'G will be a bit of a touch-and-go, but they'll fall short against an in-form Magpies side.

you_idiot

I think we can definately beat Collingwood at the MCG in round 15. They have been a side Geelong beats even when the Cats have struggled, and I'd be very confident that we can make very tough for the Magpies to win this season as well. In fact, the last time the Pies beat Geelong was a very ordinary Sunday afternoon back in 1998.

I think Geelong has done very well so far, and as the younger players gain more experience and become even more confident, and hopefully they get more from Graham and Burns, Geelong will give lots of top teams a good run for their money.

SeinDude

Re: Re: Re: How many games will Geelong win this season?

Originally posted by SeinDude

you_idiot

I think we can definately beat Collingwood at the MCG in round 15. They have been a side Geelong beats even when the Cats have struggled, and I'd be very confident that we can make very tough for the Magpies to win this season as well. In fact, the last time the Pies beat Geelong was a very ordinary Sunday afternoon back in 1998.

If that winds up happening, then you're talking about the difference between 6th place and 5th, and perhaps a run into 4th, depending upon the margin of victory against teams like Richmond, St. Kilda and Hawthorn. By the way, that season finale against the Hawks will loom very large for that reason nonetheless.

All in all, 13 or 14 wins would be a season rated as successful beyond any Cat fan's wildest dreams.

Cheers,
William

Re: Re: How many games will Geelong win this season?

Originally posted by you_idiot
Fremantle @ Subiacco = LOSS

you_idiot

I think Geelong are a good chance to beat Fremantle at Subiacco. We match up well against the Dockers and have a good head to head record against them over the years, so I wouldn't be writing that game off just yet!! ;);)

SeinDude

Re: Re: Re: How many games will Geelong win this season?

Originally posted by SeinDude
I think Geelong are a good chance to beat Fremantle at Subiacco. We match up well against the Dockers and have a good head to head record against them over the years, so I wouldn't be writing that game off just yet!! ;);)

Neither would I, but let's give credit where credit is due, so far.

Keep in mind that Subiaco has been nothing but a fortress to its AFL tenants so far this season. Neither Freo nor West Coast have lost there so far this season, even against the league's elite competition-- eg., Freo v Collingwood and WCE v Brisbane-- so that has to count for something when you handicap the balance of the season.

In fact, the only visiting team to come away with a win at Subiaco during this calendar year has been the Olympic Sharks-- and that was in the NSL Grand Final.

I'd be delighted, too, if the Cats were to beat Freo in their fortress, as they could be brimming with confidence at that time, but given their interstate record, I'm just looking at the odds being against them.

Cheers,
William

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back