How much would you pay Josh Jenkins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ok apologies.

I was just told it either has or it is about to be released on AdelaideNow
Sorry, i didn't mean to snub your news. I was trying to support it.

I wondered how you actually explain how Jenkins gets credited with 23 contested marks.

I wonder how you think that relates to the question? Seriously do you think it does? :rolleyes:

dangerfield has 27 contested marks

Presumably he is a hit up forward too?

Or maybe it has * all to do with anything :p

How you miss his leading to the ball carrier or his work rate.

Much like above you don't seem to have the concepts straight.

I've seen betts leading too. Doesn't change anything.

I've seen Tex leading up the ground, owning space, hitting the contest. I've seen competing in the air in pack situations and bringing the ball down.

And I've seen how rarely JJ does it, as have so many others in the media, former players etc.

What you miss is there is a wider consensus around what I'm saying.

I'm now puzzled as to how Jenkins was capable of kicking 44 goals, surely sitting out the back and bludging is the way to go if it's that productive. Talk about strings to his bow.

Why is it do you think there is a groundswell of opinion around that?

Wayne Carey et al. is everyone imagining it?

Besides, you need to pick a coherent position. Either he doesn't hang back for JTG goals and is actually a physical, hit up key forward.

Or his goals out the back are a smart play.

Which is it?

You definitely talk like a student of the game but nothing I read makes me believe you are.

After your depiction of this fictional player in our forward line...

I do agree with you he shouldn't get paid more than Betts, Lynch and Tex but sometimes market forces ,timing and good negotiation play a part.
It makes sense to re-sign Jenkins because he is a big part of our forward set up.

FFS there you go again!!

If he is the player you described before, this guy who imposes himself on the contest, competes in the air, hits the pack, draws defenders to him to create crumbing outlets at his feet. This physical, KPF then he would deserve to be paid the big money.

How can you say he shouldn't be paid more than Tex betts & Lynch?

If he was the player you said he was, he deserves to be paid alongside Tex. maybe more.

The only reason to pay him below the other 3 is because he isn't what you said he was.

It's one or the other, not both.

You're incoherent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has definitely made the right decision to stay. Going to Brisbane with the state that club is in on and off the field would have been a death sentence for the remainder of his career. Instead, he can play in a team contending and be happy instead of being miserable getting double-teamed every week by opponents.

Happy with $550k for 4+1. In my mind I imagined between 500 and 550 and if TSR is right that's around what's happened, and four years with appropriate triggers for a fifth is good too. I have no difficulty imagining him playing until he's 32/33 and don't imagine he's dropping out of our best 22 any time soon.

Fingers crossed he can win a couple of flags with us while he's at it :thumbsu:

Good to hear! Glad he isn't going to Brisbane where he would get tag teamed by the best defenders. I really like the guy but he would have struggled in that forward line. I hear a lot of opposition criticism of all the goals he gets over the back, so how would you play him and coach against him to stop this happening? Guy is pretty damn fast for a big fella and I think this is half the problem for defenders.

I wonder how you think that relates to the question? Seriously do you think it does? :rolleyes:

dangerfield has 27 contested marks

Presumably he is a hit up forward too?

Or maybe it has **** all to do with anything :p

Much like above you don't seem to have the concepts straight.

I've seen betts leading too. Doesn't change anything.

I've seen Tex leading up the ground, owning space, hitting the contest. I've seen competing in the air in pack situations and bringing the ball down.

And I've seen how rarely JJ does it, as have so many others in the media, former players etc.

What you miss is there is a wider consensus around what I'm saying.

Why is it do you think there is a groundswell of opinion around that?

Wayne Carey et al. is everyone imagining it?

Besides, you need to pick a coherent position. Either he doesn't hang back for JTG goals and is actually a physical, hit up key forward.

Or his goals out the back are a smart play.

Which is it?

After your depiction of this fictional player in our forward line...

FFS there you go again!!

If he is the player you described before, this guy who imposes himself on the contest, competes in the air, hits the pack, draws defenders to him to create crumbing outlets at his feet. This physical, KPF then he would deserve to be paid the big money.

How can you say he shouldn't be paid more than Tex betts & Lynch?

If he was the player you said he was, he deserves to be paid alongside Tex. maybe more.

The only reason to pay him below the other 3 is because he isn't what you said he was.

It's one or the other, not both.

You're incoherent.
So you believe that he would be a better forward if, instead of running faster than his opponent and receiving un uncontested mark at the back and scoring a goal, he actually held back around the 50M zone, got into a contested mark situation and either scored from that far or brought the ball to ground.
What I don't know is; Is this a team plan or does JJ play his own game? If his game is to get to the back of the contest to score a goal so it can be done by anyone, why don't we have a smaller cheaper player doing it?
I understand that we would have paid a Cameron about $1m/annum for maybe an extra 15-20 goals/year so why do people think that JJ's price of just above half that is too much?

So you believe that he would be a better forward if, instead of running faster than his opponent and receiving un uncontested mark at the back and scoring a goal, he actually held back around the 50M zone, got into a contested mark situation and either scored from that far or brought the ball to ground.
What I don't know is; Is this a team plan or does JJ play his own game? If his game is to get to the back of the contest to score a goal so it can be done by anyone, why don't we have a smaller cheaper player doing it?
I understand that we would have paid a Cameron about $1m/annum for maybe an extra 15-20 goals/year so why do people think that JJ's price of just above half that is too much?

I think he should be paid for the things he is, not the imaginary player he isn't.

Well done by the club. I'm happy with that deal, that's what he's worth I reckon. He plays a very important role for our club; a roll that cannot easily be replaced. A much smarter signing than Tiprat and possibly even Buddy. ( We'll see how that one plays out). As for his hotly debated lack of contested marking ability, whilst it's not his strong suit he does take a few now and again and the rest that he provides is more than enough IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back