Analysis How the state of the game has evolved, is the increased rate of injuries a result of of the evolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez the crowd must of been entertained at the blues dons game today. Only 182 tackles
The state of our game is crap when tackles are such a big factor. Shows the spectacle is closer to rugby than it ever been since it's early decades as a game from inception.

I reckon of 182 tackles a good 50 or more should be illegal and free kick paid against. Virtually every game is like this now. The league and umpires and coaches have taught players just going at other players in aggressive sloppy fashion is rewarded with more stoppages to reset your zones....If you are not going to umpire in a way to pay frees against for arms on head, over shoulder, below knees etc etc. it is not surprising it just encourages players to do more of it, rather than make getting the ball more priority to kick than get the man with the ball in any way, shape or form.

If umpires were to pay way more free kicks for s**t tackles that are not around the right area of waist and hip and also more free kicks for not disposing of ball properly after you taken a good tackle on we would be encouraging players to actually truly get the ball to kick and move on than encourage more and more tackles and stoppages. The umpires need to umpire more to the letter of the law on this. That would help on top of getting rid of all the interchange rotations. If we do both those things our game will be so much better spectacle than it been going last 15 years. Fix that and the stupid nominating of ruck rule and it will make a world of difference and we will then wonder why we left it so long to fix things that so obviously are easy to fix.

Great game on friday night got my hopes up.

GWS vs Eagles - Crap

Blues vs Dons - watched about a half so can't say. Good that the blues won, maybe that was about it?

Gold Coast vs Dees - at least there was some good scoring

Power vs Crows - good

Dockers vs Saints - shithouse

dogs vs lions - Didnt watch it and I should have. Goals in it.

Roos vs Tigers with a closed roof - crap. Whay wasn't that north player paid a mark when they were down only a goal? umps ******* the game up even more as usual.

Pies vs Cats - we kicked two goals and the only two of the term with a minute or two left in the half. Shithouse.

football is poor.

IHMO the increased incidence of reported injuries can be attributed to improvements in detection and bureaucratic intervention.

This is a good strategy to clear out players and make more room.

Paul Roos was baffled with the poor execution in the Saints-Tigers game. From the reigning premiers of all clubs. Seeing players miss from 15m out, kick the ball grubbing on the floor when they have open team mates barely 25m away. Not only that there is a fair bit of selfish play with blokes burning their open team mates. The saints, Tigers and Swans all did it yesterday. Blowing certain goals when a team mate was on offer.

Hideous stuff.

Freo were shredded in that last quarter when the game was on the line. 4 point deficit and a no call on a dockers defender that was clearly being held then flung away resulted in a north goal and the game was done. Started pissing down shortly after and a 10 point lead in those conditions was worth 20. With some horrible calls against Richmond on Saturday and several over the weekend where holding the ball wasn't called multiple times in the space of seconds, I don't want to see our game ruined further by idiotic officiating.

Melbourne and playing great footy now and along with West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond and North are salvaging some pretty dire stuff. They're the positives.

Less than a third of the league managed to score more than 80 points this week; and if it weren't for a couple of late goals from North only 4 teams would have cleared that pathetic hurdle!

Even with the Demons banging through 20 goals a week the average score per team continues to grind lower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Less than a third of the league managed to score more than 80 points this week; and if it weren't for a couple of late goals from North only 4 teams would have cleared that pathetic hurdle!

Even with the Demons banging through 20 goals a week the average score per team continues to grind lower

I took the advice of give it to the halfway point of the season then give your opinion. So that’s what I did and the game is still unwatchable..... this weekend was the first time in my living memory I didn’t watch a minute of football over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding the FTA ratings are also down significantly. The public are voting with their remotes and switching off in huge numbers, which is going to hit the AFL where it hurts if they dont do something to fix the shocking state of the game

I'm watching less than one game of football a weekend. Down from 3 or 4 a couple of years ago.

It's dreadful stuff.

I'm watching less than one game of football a weekend. Down from 3 or 4 a couple of years ago.

It's dreadful stuff.
Agree. I cant say I look forward to many matches atm. I would genuinely prefer to watch a movie with Mrs Mxett compared to most games. No need to say she's pretty happy about it. Given there are so many other options for entertainment now days the AFL need to do something fast to arrest this slide

Port kicked one goal in the second half on friday night

On the opposite side of the spectrum the Saints concede the first 9 in the first quarter

Gold Coast lose by 100+

Lions vs Dons goal kicking players missing sitters yet again

But the worst of the worst from the worst. Saints Player snaps the ball from the goal square, wait for it, backwards. It goes 15m in the air and 5m backwards where McCarrtin thinks he's marked it, realises a split second later it's not a mark runs forward and misses from the square.

The game is terrible. Rugby Union like.

Brad Johnson during the Lions-Dons game mentioned some players should get docked for missing and get paid a certain amount depending on how many goals they score/miss. It should be in their contract similar to the NFL in some regard. I think he's spot on. These guys are paid to PERFORM. They're professionals. Many don't look like it atm.

Ridiculous. Semi long distance runners and sprinters wearing AFL Jumpers.

Disgraceful.

Loved how a moment ago B.T said the eagles-dogs game was just terrible and deplorable football. Bartel then said we're all deluded in that there were s**t games decades ago just as there is now. That we had one game of the day on tv so we used to basically just go off that. That's total BS and Taylor called him out on that. They had a decent debate about it for the remainder of the qtr ending it just now, only because the quarter ended. Bartel is full of s**t. Taylor also said that he's pretty sure in the 40 odd years he's been watching the game that there was some good football and he hasn't forgotten what it was like. Couldn't agree more. Obviously there was some s**t games played, always has been always will be. But the point is it was still football. And those s**t games that happened, are way, way less than what they are now.

Footy used to be good. We might have a decent game now and then but they are the minority. Cats-Dees was a good game. It was tight and scrappy early but that was due to good pressure and ferocity by both teams. It wasn't s**t football, or s**t due to poor skill execution or CONGESTION.

Bartel sounded like a flog when talking to B.T. He sounds like a flog in general as a commentator and he's not cut out for it.

As for the one game of the day on T.V, since I was a kid there was a heap of footy on TV. Not just one '' game of the day ''

The other commentator also said 17 years ago to the day we had 27.9 to 25.9 Dons vs Roos 69 point come back.

Bartel '' did it make a good game '':huh:

*en oath it was a good game. Also implying that just because it's high scoring doesn't mean it's a good game. True. But most of the time, it is.

Poor reasoning.

Loved how a moment ago B.T said the eagles-dogs game was just terrible and deplorable football. Bartel then said we're all deluded in that there were s**t games decades ago just as there is now. That we had one game of the day on tv so we used to basically just go off that. That's total BS and Taylor called him out on that. They had a decent debate about it for the remainder of the qtr ending it just now, only because the quarter ended. Bartel is full of s**t. Taylor also said that he's pretty sure in the 40 odd years he's been watching the game that there was some good football and he hasn't forgotten what it was like. Couldn't agree more. Obviously there was some s**t games played, always has been always will be. But the point is it was still football. And those s**t games that happened, are way, way less than what they are now.

Footy used to be good. We might have a decent game now and then but they are the minority. Cats-Dees was a good game. It was tight and scrappy early but that was due to good pressure and ferocity by both teams. It wasn't s**t football, or s**t due to poor skill execution or CONGESTION.

Bartel sounded like a flog when talking to B.T. He sounds like a flog in general as a commentator and he's not cut out for it.

BT sounded like the flog just rambling on clearly instructed by his employer who run the AFL.

You think so? BT was the one who was carrying on like a flog. Bartel is probably the best special comments person in the business at the moment, and he had some very good points just before. Knows his stuff.

I think Bartel is right, although I think his description of one game a week being broadcast was more about the 1980s and earlier than the 1990s, as by that stage we were seeing at least three games a week.

There have always been scrappy matches that the commentators spoke about as being of poor standard, the difference today is that the conditions are usually always perfect for footy so you cannot write the poor games off as being due to wind or rain or a muddy oval.

Looking back at old scores, the days of suburban footy grounds were producing scores on par with today's scores then along game the late 1980s when ground conditions were improved, and we saw an increase in scoring, its this increase in scoring which resulted in a more defensive mindset which has led to day's congestion play, the other thing which has crept in is for players well within range of goal now looking to handball it, instead of just going for goal, this causes increase congestion and a number of sloppy turnovers which frustrates fans greatly.

Last edited:

lol, Bartel absolutely wiped the floor with BT on that one :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back