Analysis How the state of the game has evolved, is the increased rate of injuries a result of of the evolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have made no difference. Fitness would have improved anyway. What we need is higher skills to combat increased pressure, so your idea of state leagues would just dilute the skill level further and make things worse.

I’m yet to watch a preseason game. The only reason to watch them is to get an idea of your team’s changes to their game plan. The result is not at all significant.

I thought the same, which lead me to believe the AFL would result in better contests than the VFL or WAFL.

I've come to realise that higher skill doesn't necessarily translate into a better spectacle. Better contests translates into a better spectacle. Sure skill is a part of that but professionalism in sport has translated to better fitness which reduces the spectacle.

I thought the same, which lead me to believe the AFL would result in better contests than the VFL or WAFL.

I've come to realise that higher skill doesn't necessarily translate into a better spectacle. Better contests translates into a better spectacle. Sure skill is a part of that but professionalism in sport has translated to better fitness which reduces the spectacle.
I only watch games involving Richmond, so probably not a general opinion, but I reckon football looks pretty good. On top of that, I really think your perspective on this matter depends on which games you watch.

I'm enjoying the women's games this year (helps that my side is winning I suppose). Something to be said for 16 a side on the field to open up the 50s better. Think Adam Simpson said he agrees with me.

Taking the 4 least talented players off the ground can't be all that bad either considering the dilution of talent with the higher number of teams. Plus, it might get Dangerfield to have a sook as head of AFLPA - always entertaining.

Agree, it’s something they should consider at state league as a trial before implementing the following season if the data and stats confirm a better product.

Agree, it’s something they should consider at state league as a trial before implementing the following season if the data and stats confirm a better product.
but that seems logical and measured, not the knee-jerk reaction we are used to. Just maybe that could work to assess whether a change to the game would be beneficial or detrimental before implementation at the highest level...:think:

I'm enjoying the women's games this year (helps that my side is winning I suppose). Something to be said for 16 a side on the field to open up the 50s better. Think Adam Simpson said he agrees with me.

Taking the 4 least talented players off the ground can't be all that bad either considering the dilution of talent with the higher number of teams. Plus, it might get Dangerfield to have a sook as head of AFLPA - always entertaining.
I actually think 16 a side is hurting AFLW game as the same amount of players are being drawn to the ball which leaves less outside the congestion

Nothing wrong with the game, I love watching the footy now more than I ever Have.
most teams play a great brand of footy. It’s fast, tough, skill full and exciting.

the overall standard (bar a handful of teams) is better than its ever been.

with Richmond it’s like watching finals nearly every week.

One problem though is that we’ve got so many teams with so little population, so talent pool is going to be stretched a little.

ideally the AFL Should have 3 teams less than it has now.

I believe at one point in the future the AFL will to set targets for Vic teams in regards to money , sponsorship , members etc and if they don’t meet the criteria then they’ll be relocated or just won’t qualify for the AFL.

crazy thoughts!

I don't give a * if the games end 0-0. Thank * we have some footy and sport in general. Didn't know how much I truly loved footy until it was almost gone. Or should I say, I love it even more than my first born son.

* you Donald Trump.

Bottom line: freakish improvement in aerobic fitness has made the game worse. More risk to injury as players can get to more contests and get into them hard. And the flow of the game is worse. The players are too fit which means they close space more often which reduces the flow that makes the game special.

I wish there was a way you could set a maximum fitness rating like a setting on a video game. But with the money, the number of off field staff, the professionalism, there is no undoing it (unless a certain crisis crashes the economy so hard nobody can afford anything and the billion dollar TV deals end)

some s**t games. Shortened games or not how do we have Collingwood and Richmond kicking 5 goals last week then the Tiges again kicking a low score like WCE did two weeks straight? Freo?

* what a joke.

some sh*t games. Shortened games or not how do we have Collingwood and Richmond kicking 5 goals last week then the Tiges again kicking a low score like WCE did two weeks straight? Freo?

fu** what a joke.
There have been some terrible games to watch from sides we all were expecting to perform better. Although other teams like the Suns and Port are looking good to watch.

Low scores across the league is interesting, I don’t necessarily think high scoring makes a game better, I always liked Sydney under Paul Roos and Freo Under Ross the Boss’ with there hard contested defensive styles.

But this year a lot of games have a lack of excitement and energy. I’ve heard commentators talk across a number of games that players can’t kick the ball as far as other years.

Shortened quarters means more distance per minute and more congestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think 16 a side is hurting AFLW game as the same amount of players are being drawn to the ball which leaves less outside the congestion

I saw limited footage of tigers v hawks seconds at 14 a side, it looked more open, but of course it was less competitive like tac cup us to an extent.

these reserve games are a golden opportunity to investigate it further

Remove this Banner Ad

Back