Analysis How the state of the game has evolved, is the increased rate of injuries a result of of the evolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide 1 goal in the first half to Freo's 2

Geelong 86-54 Essendon

Melb vs Hawks 11 goals apiece

WCE 11 goals to Gold Coast's 8

The Dees vs Hawks 2nd half was good after a poor first one. Some shithouse footy with some **** house scores. The rule changes haven't made it a better game. Football's gone backwards yet again.

I would agree...... should of got rid of the interchange and implemented a substitution like in soccer.

It would of made a game an 18vs18 spectacle again and space would naturally open up as players would need to change the way they run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree...... should of got rid of the interchange and implemented a substitution like in soccer.

It would of made a game an 18vs18 spectacle again and space would naturally open up as players would need to change the way they run.

It would've turned the game into a shitfight after quarter time as players could still cover the ground but wouldn't be able to kick, actually.

It would've turned the game into a shitfight after quarter time as players could still cover the ground but wouldn't be able to kick, actually.
because the midfielders in the past had trouble with their skills when they played the whole game.

because the midfielders in the past had trouble with their skills when they played the whole game.

That's because no one had brought the zone to football yet. There's no way coaches would relinquish the current philosophy of getting more numbers to the ball than your opposition. Think about what would happen if one team decided to go back to pure positional play in this situation.
In the first quarter, each side would have roughly equal skills. But the team sticking with modern tactics would out number the 'traditional' side 18 to 9 (or worse) around the ball. It would be a massacre.
Sure, as the game wore on, the team playing the modern style would get a little more tired and their skills would go to garbage. But they'd still be able to cover the field reasonably well (the average speed by the player who ran the greatest distance in all measured games was still under 10km/h - basically jogging for an elite athlete). They'd struggle in high speed efforts but would still be able to outnumber in most cases. I highly doubt the 'traditional' team would be able to catch the lead set by the modern side.

That's because no one had brought the zone to football yet. There's no way coaches would relinquish the current philosophy of getting more numbers to the ball than your opposition. Think about what would happen if one team decided to go back to pure positional play in this situation.
In the first quarter, each side would have roughly equal skills. But the team sticking with modern tactics would out number the 'traditional' side 18 to 9 (or worse) around the ball. It would be a massacre.
Sure, as the game wore on, the team playing the modern style would get a little more tired and their skills would go to garbage. But they'd still be able to cover the field reasonably well (the average speed by the player who ran the greatest distance in all measured games was still under 10km/h - basically jogging for an elite athlete). They'd struggle in high speed efforts but would still be able to outnumber in most cases. I highly doubt the 'traditional' team would be able to catch the lead set by the modern side.

The first Zones were implemented in 1996 by the Westin Bulldogs. I’m not saying modern tactics wouldn’t still be implied by the coaches, however Game plans would change if you knew you couldn’t rotate your midfielders to the bench, and they couldn’t do 7 to 9 minute spells. They just wouldn’t have the energy to Systane moving with the zone for the entirety of the game.

The first Zones were implemented in 1996 by the Westin Bulldogs. I’m not saying modern tactics wouldn’t still be implied by the coaches, however Game plans would change if you knew you couldn’t rotate your midfielders to the bench, and they couldn’t do 7 to 9 minute spells. They just wouldn’t have the energy to Systane moving with the zone for the entirety of the game.

I kind of covered that. As I said, no one has ever averaged more than 10km/h for an entire game. Sprint efforts would become an issue late. Not purely covering the ground.

2019 average scores with ranking among last 50 seasons (lowest = 1)

Round 7 - 77.4 (1st/50)
Round 6 - 80.8 (2nd/50)
Round 5 - 84.8 (6th/50)
Round 4 - 75.3 (1st/50)
Round 3 - 88.4 (6th/50)
Round 2 - 81.2 (1st/50)
Round 1 - 78.7 (1st/50)

Round 1-7 - 80.9 (1st/50)

Take out the Crows/Dockers game, and 81.8 still ranks second-lowest of the last 50 Round 7's.

Last edited:
Last nights game was low scoring, but it was a good game. It resembled football and something that we haven't seen much of at times these last few years. Emphasis on Football. It doesn't have to be jam packed with lots of goals, just played in the right manner and in the sight that we used to see it.

Loved it.

*en oath.

Smith, Taberner, another dockers player and now Daniher in just a few days. Not to mention all the others going down before them. Way too many injuries these days.

scores still too low

too many rugby style games

better week tan most I reckon Friday night, Crows, Dogs and Dockers games were all good. At least enjoyable too watch.

I've enjoyed every game so far this round. It wasn't always pretty at times, but every match for me has offered something. The 2nd half of yesterdays early game, the Freo Port affair and the Dogs-Blues game like the previous one were absolute belters. I even enjoyed the Thursday Nighter where an undermanned Richmond took it to the Crows and could have got them if not for poor skill execution and choice.

as rumply stated in another post, low scores with maybe one exciting last qtr are the norm these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st qtr last night = 12 goals
Rest of the game = 11 goals

Current score Hawks 64-41 Freo
Swans 72-79 Carlton

this s**t is becoming the norm.

AFL - Afraid Football League

29 scoring shots in 1st half of Ess vs North. On track for 58 which would be the highest this year
(current record is 56 between Richmond and GWS in Round 3.)

That said, the other games have been mostly terrible. This one should have been higher scoring too if not for Essendon's inaccuracy in front of goal.

Reckon if they hid the scoreboard, whinging would reduce by 90%. You wouldn’t notice a thing. Just good footy.

I would disagree footy seems to have been a giant game of stuck in the mud for the last 10 years.

The major correlation with the scoring going down has been the increase of interchanges which started 10 years ago.
I know there are other factors why the game has taken a turn for the worse such as umpiring, rule interpretation, increased fitness of the players which means they can push to more contests and clog up the space, coaching strategies, changing of the rules on frequent basis and the list goes on, but I find that the continued interchanges of the players hard to stomach as we played this game for 150 years with no or reduced rotations.

I would disagree footy seems to have been a giant game of stuck in the mud for the last 10 years.

The major correlation with the scoring going down has been the increase of interchanges which started 10 years ago.
I know there are other factors why the game has taken a turn for the worse such as umpiring, rule interpretation, increased fitness of the players which means they can push to more contests and clog up the space, coaching strategies, changing of the rules on frequent basis and the list goes on, but I find that the continued interchanges of the players hard to stomach as we played this game for 150 years with no or reduced rotations.

Interchanges have only decreased when they introduced the cap, this only meant a reduction in scoring. How do you explain this?

The game is far better for having fit, well rested players that can make the game far more interesting than just kick-mark-kick-mark-goal.

Interchanges have only decreased when they introduced the cap, this only meant a reduction in scoring. How do you explain this?

The game is far better for having fit, well rested players that can make the game far more interesting than just kick-mark-kick-mark-goal.

The highest scoring period our game ever saw was in during the 80s,90s and early 00s and the average interchanges per game were below 20 during that time.
In 2008 the interchange numbers doubled after Mick malthouse used them in a round 8 game against a then undefeated Geelong squad, in which they won by 80 points ever since that moment every club used the bench as a rotation.

Now fast forward 5 years when they put a cap on the rotations to 120 unfortunately that did nothing as it was still a rotation not a substitute like it was 15 years prior to that.

Fast forward 3 years, once again they capped it at 90 because the rolling maul was out of control but by then the damage was done, clubs had set their game plans and list management to only athletic midfields with a couple of bigs and pure footballers were left playing state league.

IMO the only way to get rid of this hybrid game we now play is to make it an 18 on 18 spectacle again. what will happen is clubs will draft players with good skills and players won’t join the maul as much, as they will stay closer to their original positions on the ground.

I see it now. I see it, and I DO believe it.

The Grand plan was/is, to go back in time, and score LESS Goals.

scotty with the pop boy.gif

found myself disninterested already tbh. Too many quarters of just s**t congested footy and boringness. Not watching games anymore for the sake of it and what it '' used '' to be. Only pre-season they'll say. Nah. It's what footy is these days.

Thank * for Richmond the last 3 years.

They could run a book on predicting which quarter of the ground gets all the players in it most often

mind you didn’t that happen with ‘hit the boundary line’ era? Looking back fondly

found myself disninterested already tbh. Too many quarters of just s**t congested footy and boringness. Not watching games anymore for the sake of it and what it '' used '' to be. Only pre-season they'll say. Nah. It's what footy is these days.

Thank fu** for Richmond the last 3 years.

I was pro AFL as a kid, wanting to see a super league and higher standards. In hindsight I was wrong.

Strong state leagues with local contests were better, with two supporter bases cheering on their sides (rather than mono crowds). The game styles were less reliant on fitness and speed, meaning the congestion was lower and the game cleaner.

Last edited:
I was pro AFL as a kid, wanting to see a super league and higher standards. In hindsight I was wrong.

Strong state leagues with local contests were better, with two supporter bases cheering on their sides (rather than mono crowds) is one. The game styles were less reliant on fitness and speed, meaning the congestion was lower and the game cleaner.
Would have made no difference. Fitness would have improved anyway. What we need is higher skills to combat increased pressure, so your idea of state leagues would just dilute the skill level further and make things worse.

I’m yet to watch a preseason game. The only reason to watch them is to get an idea of your team’s changes to their game plan. The result is not at all significant.

Thank fu** for Richmond the last 3 years.
Richmond are part of fhe problem - not the solution.

I may say that watching the Bulldogs vs. North game made me exhale in disappointment as I resigned myself that 'good footy' these days is getting your entire 18 in the D50, then sprinting forward when you get it

There's still many elements that I really enjoy, but man it can be a painful game to watch these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back