How to Improve the Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way to ensure fairness is for every club to play each other once, or (preferably) twice. End of story.

As the league expands this will only be possible by dividing the competition. I think this should not be a partition based on results (promotion/relegation) but on chance, so that each group is re-randomised each year. That comp could enlarge to 24 clubs, two, 12 club groups.

Downside, of course, is that certain blockbusters might not be played in a particular year. (E.g. if Carlton & Collingwood are not in the same group they either won't play each other until the finals, if at all.)

I suppose the alternative might be a 24 team comp (current 18+NT+Tas+Canberra+N.Qld+another W.A./Perth+another S.A./Adelaide) where everyone plays each other ONCE, 23 rounds.

There's been a lot of talk about "Draw Inequality" lately so how about this option:

Break the teams into three tiers based on final ladder position from previous season
  • 1-6
  • 7-12
  • 13-18

Play every team once = 17 games
Play every team in your tier a second time = 5 games for a total of 22 games.

I think we end up with closer games and a more even draw.

Thoughts?

Imagine from here on in, Collingwood keeps getting more injuries which causes them to lose the majority of the remaining games. In their last game they face this prospect: win and they finish 12th, lose and they finish 13th. Say they lose. Over the preseason they get all their decent players back and suddenly look a premiership threat again, except now, they have 10 of their 22 matches against last year's bottom 5.

I just think under this proposal that teams could tank to secure an easier draw the following year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back