Strategy How we can improve in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope so. Gotta get his body right. Let him down at GWS and, so far, with us. Undeniably talented footballer.
His resilience is definitely the problem. Hopefully he comes out of it with a solid season like B.Crouch.
I think he was our best tackler last season until he got injured. A bit more time out on the field and he'll start to find the ball a bit more often too.

I feel like a big problem on GF day was positional structure around stoppages, and some umpiring errors early on in key moments.

But mainly, Richmond are a one trick pony and it won't work again for them I think, they just threw people everywhere around the ball, a game plan the Hawks of 13-15 would have overcome, because blokes like Mitchell could make decision under pressure so well.

We played hot potato with the footy (cause it worked all year), but it always went to a player under pressure on GF day. Had Crouches been able to ride a tackle, get hands free and then hit a target, all of a sudden Richmond's structure around the contest could be tested. Running in like headless chooks won't cut it if all of a sudden direction changes etc. We lost access to the ball in the 2nd half hence we were no chance.

I think one of the big keys to improvement this season will be Hampton.
He's an odd one.

Despite being a fast outside runner he plays like an inside mid.

He had a couple of ripper games last year and a bunch of "ok" ones. Not quite sure what it would take to have him play well in Smith's spot. I dunno.

Gibbs injects an A grade talent in to the mix that can help us overcome a game when Sloane is getting tagged. Can also play the Smith role.

Brad Crouch with another full pre season I’m tipping him to overtake his brother (big call) with Matt Crouch to continue on his merry way

McGovern!

Galucci and Milera to show us why they were taken as first rounders.
I hope Both Crouch brothers endeavour to continually out do each other. If Matts 2017 form was the benchmark for where these two start from next season onwards, then that's going to be bloody fun to watch

He's an odd one.

Despite being a fast outside runner he plays like an inside mid.

He had a couple of ripper games last year and a bunch of "ok" ones. Not quite sure what it would take to have him play well in Smith's spot. I dunno.
Hampton started his career with GWS in the backlines, and had played that role in our SANFL team mostly in the backlines also. His kicking might not be as penetrating to that of Smith's, but his speed would be right up there.
With the loss of Lever, I think we can cover this with either Keath or Doedee. Smith's loss in my opinion would be the bigger loss, because his kick penetration would make opposing teams harder to set up their defense. Seedsman has the speed and kick penetration, but he hasn't got that hardness that Smith has. I think Milera would be a good option for Smith's spot, he has the speed and accuracy as a defensive link man, but he needs to toughen up a bit more.

Improvement will come from the likes of doedee, keath, hampton, gallucci, poholke, milera and himmelberg along with improvement from b crouch, greenwood, knight. Walker and Talia need to stay injury free and consistent and we need consistent performances from douglas, mackay and atkins otherwise they should be dropped. Would like to see gov centre half forward and walker closer to goals at full forward. Jenkins should start in the sanfl and would like to see himmelberg be given games. Otten should also play sanfl until the end of his career next year. Feel gibbs will help cover smith's role but hampton must step up. Make or break year for him. If he is injured again, may end up like menzel.

Last edited:
Rigidity of structure, or less of it, is where we can improve without involving personnel improvement. If a tall goes out they don't need to be replaced by one, particularly forward.

Our midfield will be better than this year IMO, not just Gibbs but the Crouches and Greenwood. Milera too needs a big year. Back half will be as solid as ever, and 22 games out of Gov will make our forwardline better too.

I also think sporadic injections of youth will benefit us over a long campaign.

We will be round the mark again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Milera and Atkins can both stop fluffing about and start playing like they mean it, more weeks than not, that will be a huuuuuge plus.

not sure why but I don't have much confidence it'll actually happen.

Forward line needs to improve its aerial contest stuff

McGovern back helps but JJ and Tex need to lift

Otten shouldn't play for us again

Need to rotate guys off half back in Smiths position- Gibbs Sloane Seedsman and Milera for me

Gov needs to take the next step and be a top 8 player and should be able to improve to that level

I like Milera accross half back but not sure he is strong enough where when he needs to put his body on the line he will

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

... I also think sporadic injections of youth will benefit us over a long campaign.
We will be round the mark again.
This is probably a very good idea. I have the feeling we picked a team to win every game last year (except when we had table position 1/2 sewn up) - maybe putting up with more losses due to blooding more youth would be a better way to go about it.

Either start round 1 with 3 or more of the players with few or zero senior games and see if we can win anyway, or secure a few wins and then do some serious blooding of youth, or just make sure we have a couple of the untried youth each round and rotate them.

Really? A tall, more agile, fast and more aggressive player. Takes a great contested mark, massive tank, smaller trucks are all the rage. Reckon keath would lie down against a smaller defender?
I reckon he's a defender first and foremost but it'll be interesting to see how much time he spends forward.

I reckon he's a defender first and foremost but it'll be interesting to see how much time he spends forward.
It will be really interesting especially if Dear stays on the list. Can see either of them pushing for a role in the back or forward line. I really hope we keep Dear and give him another 2 for development.

Really? A tall, more agile, fast and more aggressive player. Takes a great contested mark, massive tank, smaller trucks are all the rage. Reckon keath would lie down against a smaller defender?

Yes physical attributes are great but some players have greater football ability than others don't they?

JJ has kicked 100 goals over the last two years. If that was easy, everyone would be doing it.

And Keath had the worst numbers at the contest of all key talls (Champion Data said that on this weeks Fox Footy podcast).

Can we groom Doedee to fill in Lever's shoes?
Can we task Keath to fill in Otten's utility role?
Hampton to do a Cameron?
Who's best fit for Smith?

Can we groom Doedee to fill in Lever's shoes?
Can we task Keath to fill in Otten's utility role?
Hampton to do a Cameron?
Who's best fit for Smith?
The thing we must do is put games into our young guys. Pykey was reluctant last year. We don't need players like Wigg leaving untried. Atkins had his moments but I wonder if Wigg was given the same opportunities how he would have gone. I am really optimistic about next year. I can see us taking the next step.

The thing we must do is put games into our young guys. Pykey was reluctant last year. We don't need players like Wigg leaving untried. Atkins had his moments but I wonder if Wigg was given the same opportunities how he would have gone. I am really optimistic about next year. I can see us taking the next step.

The lucky thing is it's not a big step

The only thing we need to worry about is going backwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back