Prediction How will we go over the next 3-4 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the post you mentioned about our midfield and scoffed when about it being raised as a concern.

We weren't playing in the other final, GWS lost a preliminary we lost the week before.

3 stars? I recall Lever and Talia being injured after we were smashed in the first quarter.

Jacobs was on one leg, as was JJ and one other was carrying an injury.

You believe what you want to, I sure you know it all. Do yourself a favour and become a GWS fan right now.

I simply cannot believe some of the absolute crap written in this thread. We have a great list right now. Everyone is slamming us for the lack of midfield. I find that to be ludicrous. I expect us to be a solid top 4 team at the very least. GWS couldn't even beat the Bullies last year, in spite of all the advantages they have been handed by VFL House. They're the least of the teams to be worried about.

An astonishingly poor piece of list analysis

Jacobs was on one leg, as was JJ and one other was carrying an injury.

You believe what you want to, I sure you know it all. Do yourself a favour and become a GWS fan right now.
Stevie J missed, Mumford had a migraine and Cameron had eaten bad mussels before the game.

I don't know it all, I'm just pointing out you don't have a clue.

Go support GWS because I rate them and are realistic about how good they are? Yeah, I change teams all the time, over the last decade I've swapped between Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn.

I simply cannot believe some of the absolute crap written in this thread. We have a great list right now. Everyone is slamming us for the lack of midfield. I find that to be ludicrous. I expect us to be a solid top 4 team at the very least. GWS couldn't even beat the Bullies last year, in spite of all the advantages they have been handed by VFL House. They're the least of the teams to be worried about.
I do think we need to get a Bontempelli-type talent on the list in next year's draft, though. That's what our midfield lacks. Darcy Fogarty would be the dream.

I do think we need to get a Bontempelli-type talent on the list in next year's draft, though. That's what our midfield lacks. Darcy Fogarty would be the dream.
We need that big bodied mid.

Unfortunately anyone taken this year is too young for the next three years

I feel for us to take the next step Greenwood could be the one to help us get there

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

We need that big bodied mid.

Unfortunately anyone taken this year is too young for the next three years

I feel for us to take the next step Greenwood could be the one to help us get there

Not just a big-bodied mid, though - an elite big bodied mid. Now, Greenwood could become elite, but history says it's very unlikely. A top five, or even top 10 pick who is in that mould would be the perfect addition, considering there's none going around on the open market that are realistic gets.

Not just a big-bodied mid, though - an elite big bodied mid. Now, Greenwood could become elite, but history says it's very unlikely. A top five, or even top 10 pick who is in that mould would be the perfect addition, considering there's none going around on the open market that are realistic gets.
Yeah I tend to think it unlikely that he will become elite. He is more likely to not have much of an AFL career at all.

But he is the one candidate in our list for that role.

I have often thought Lynch or maybe McGovern could also do it. But seem unlikely.

Just on McGovern. I often thought we went into games one forward too many. But felt he got picked as he does have elite skills and high footy IQ

If he could become that big bodied mid I feel our balance would be about right

Need to remember Fyfe was a forward in his early days.

Maybe , and I could be straw clutching here, McGovern is being groomed into that role. And that is part of the "Organic Growth" philosophy.

Yeah I tend to think it unlikely that he will become elite. He is more likely to not have much of an AFL career at all.

But he is the one candidate in our list for that role.

I have often thought Lynch or maybe McGovern could also do it. But seem unlikely.

I do think he'll become a good AFL player if he develops his tank (which I'm confident he will). He won't get to Bont levels, though.

Lynch and McGovern seem more comfortable in their current roles, I reckon. Gov is definitely a natural forward, whilst Lynch plays that link-man role very well.

Greenwoods a real wildcard IMO, if he hits he could be massive. Will be really interesting to watch his progress over the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping our forward line structure changes this year ... not because it needs to, but because it can.

Dear at Full Forward. Can take a contested mark and is quick on the lead.
Menzel and Betts in the pockets. Betts because he is the best in the game for that position, and Menzel because that is where his skill set will thrive. (and he doesn't have the tank for the midfield)
Tex as a roving centre half forward, he plays best when on the move and creating.
McGovern and Lynch completing the forward six - with Lynch more a link up and McGovern another dangerous option at half-forward.

That is a fast, dangerous forward mix with plenty of pressure , skill and marking power.

Cameron and Jenkins need to move up the ground ... Jenkins can do more than just making a contest - and Cameron because he has the potential to be more damaging around the ball with his aggression and speed.

I'd love our centre mix to include Greenwood, he is an elite athlete - with elite hands. Who knows what he might have been if he had focussed on Footy alone ... maybe he could be the equivalent top draft pick we have been missing? Or does Hampton finally fulfill that potential we keep hearing about? Hope one of them surprise us next year.

Add in players like the Crouch boys, Atkins and Knight - and true wingers like Milera and Seedsman finally playing in the right positions. Our talented backline that has started to gel with Talia, Laird, Lever, Smith and Hartigan. Does Doedee come in and both Brown and Cheney step back - dunno? I like the idea of there being true competition for spots all over the ground.

We have a great mix coming into 2017, and it does feel to me like we are ready to take a major step and become a team that has serious claims on a flag.

We will continue to be mediocre if we don't produce or recruit a star/gun.
our defence is sound, ruck is sound, forward line is Agrade prob best in comp but we need stars in the midfield to be a contender.
just hope the crouch bros go up a notch this season! Matt Crouch reminds me so much of Sam Mitchell, even moves like him.. if he can improve hes going to be special.

Can Brad Crouch become an A Grader? Would take some pressure off Sloane if he can. It was good that he got back on the park last year but he was largely ineffectual really. I worry that his foot injuries mean he isn't able to train at maximum intensity. If he's managing his workload during the preseaaon so his foot doesn't flare up it will make it tough for him. Never see him mentioned winning time trials or anything?

Can Brad Crouch become an A Grader? Would take some pressure off Sloane if he can. It was good that he got back on the park last year but he was largely ineffectual really. I worry that his foot injuries mean he isn't able to train at maximum intensity. If he's managing his workload during the preseaaon so his foot doesn't flare up it will make it tough for him. Never see him mentioned winning time trials or anything?
Brad aint ever winning a time trial. That's just a fact. He was pictured in a few of the training pics that have been posted. I am going with no news is good news in regards to his pre-season. He can be a massive contributor for us if up and going, which hopefully he is come round 1.

He's my pick for our most valuable player next year assuming the rest of the team plays well. He could be the difference between our midfield and therefore the team being good and very good, possibly great.

Its time to raise the bar. Lets put pressure on the club and players. No excuses.

We were soft as butter. Unlike the Bulldogs who actually wanted it.
2 x 6 day breaks was not the reason. That is just a piss weak excuse and if it's coming from the club or players is pathetic.

What will begin to excite me is that we become genuinely competitive in generally beating other top 8 teams wherever we play. We need this for confidence and standing which will translate into winning even 2 or maybe 3 finals! It's not the whole story but we must stand more against teams in the top 8.

We were soft as butter. Unlike the Bulldogs who actually wanted it.
2 x 6 day breaks was not the reason. That is just a piss weak excuse and if it's coming from the club or players is pathetic.

Yep, this is the exact attitude that lost us the West Coast game and why we haven't won a premiership since 1998, and if you can't understand how significant this was then you have no idea about modern day elite sport. We're always about taking the hard road, all we need to do to take that next step is work a little harder, train a little harder, be more mentally tough... It's not about being soft, it's about being smart, about recognising when you can gain a competitive advantage and recognising when you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

Premierships are bloody hard to come by, we chose to ignore the relative advantage of a 9 day break going into a crucial game, for commercial gain. The club aren't using the 6 day break as any excuse, but if you ask the fitness guys who work day in day out with the players, they were spent and there was no way we were going to beat west coast.

Sure the Bulldogs did the supposed impossible and won a premiership from 7th, but you know what's credited for being a major factor in their win, the weeks break between the minor and major round. They were a side that had been crueler by injury, but were able to get key players back and fit for the 1st week of finals. They could head over to Perth early and get settled and hit the eagles from a position of strength.

We will continue to be mediocre if we don't produce or recruit a star/gun.
our defence is sound, ruck is sound, forward line is Agrade prob best in comp but we need stars in the midfield to be a contender.
just hope the crouch bros go up a notch this season! Matt Crouch reminds me so much of Sam Mitchell, even moves like him.. if he can improve hes going to be special.

Agreed, I think we're we'll set up to be a perennial finals and top 4 challenger for the next 7-8 years, but we need to be able to do somethign to lift us to premiership challenger. Hopefully that will come from within and the players we've already recruited, eg the Crouch brother both taking another step or 2, Menzel and Hampton finding form, Greenwood, Milera and Gallucci developing into the players they were drafted to be, but at the same time we need to be setting up to go hard for Free Agents and uncontracted players.

Unfortunately Danger was a massive loss in this regard, he was that crucial midfield game breaker who we now lack. Sure we're still a good team without him, in fact we improved this year compared to last, but we would be far better off with him.

Yep, this is the exact attitude that lost us the West Coast game and why we haven't won a premiership since 1998, and if you can't understand how significant this was then you have no idea about modern day elite sport. We're always about taking the hard road, all we need to do to take that next step is work a little harder, train a little harder, be more mentally tough... It's not about being soft, it's about being smart, about recognising when you can gain a competitive advantage and recognising when you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

Premierships are bloody hard to come by, we chose to ignore the relative advantage of a 9 day break going into a crucial game, for commercial gain. The club aren't using the 6 day break as any excuse, but if you ask the fitness guys who work day in day out with the players, they were spent and there was no way we were going to beat west coast.

Sure the Bulldogs did the supposed impossible and won a premiership from 7th, but you know what's credited for being a major factor in their win, the weeks break between the minor and major round. They were a side that had been crueler by injury, but were able to get key players back and fit for the 1st week of finals. They could head over to Perth early and get settled and hit the eagles from a position of strength.
We also had a week break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back