Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current plan already results in roughly 40 houses being destroyed, just building this single station will see over another 100 destroyed.

I don't believe this.

The reason so few homes will be destroyed in the CBD is because the government has decided to go the more expensive construction model of boring rather than cut and cover.

Ding ding ding ding!!!! that's exactly what I said.

If it costs a billion it costs a billion. Which is stll less than 10% of the project. Build it properly or don't build it at all. infrastructure built on the cheap only serves half its Iselin and causes even bigger bills down the line to fix up!

I don't believe this.

If it costs a billion it costs a billion. Which is stll less than 10% of the project. Build it properly or don't build it at all. infrastructure built on the cheap only serves half its Iselin and causes even bigger bills down the line to fix up!

But theres always a list of candidates for infrastructure spend. money might be better spent on tripling the line via skyrail after caulfield to allow for more frequent express trains or country services. It should be more than two lines all the way past dandenong

One thing south yarra commuters can look forward to: less disruption than other stations, and eventually trains bypassing them leaving less crowded train for use.

There's very few reasons to bother with south Yarra given the cost. See if you can name one movement that is disadvantaged by no interchange that can't be fixed in one change of train. The only one I can think of is if you were on Sandringham line and wanted to go to domain. But you could still get off south Yarra and catch the no 8 tram from out the front. So not too bad.

So challenge you come up with the route that this messes up.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

There's very few reasons to bother with south Yarra given the cost. See if you can name one movement that is disadvantaged by no interchange that can't be fixed in one change of train. The only one I can think of is if you were on Sandringham line and wanted to go to domain. But you could still get off south Yarra and catch the no 8 tram from out the front. So not too bad.

So challenge you come up with the route that this messes up.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I used to live on the Sandringham line for years and if I wanted to go to the city it was from Ripponlea station. If I wanted to go to the Domain I'd walk 500 metres to the number 64 tram on Nepean Hwy and get off at domain. There are far superior alternatives to spending $1 billion on a station plus destroying at least 100 homes to construct it.

I don't believe this.

I don't believe this.

I don't care if you do or not, unless you can find either open parkland (like the Domain station area) or light industrial/warehouses (like Arden Street) right next to the current South Yarra Station, the only alternatives are either demolishing 100 homes, or spending even significantly more than even the proposed $1 billion.

A south yarra station fails on multiple levels;

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurba...ing-this-new-rail-station-be-a-sensible-idea/

• It would cost an extra $970 million nominal to build because of the intense development in the area (or $700 million if a lesser option – requiring a time-consuming walk across Toorak Rd to interchange – were used).
  • 94 homes and parts of the Jam Factory would have to be acquired.
  • The number of passengers who would benefit from an interchange station – and the number who would be disadvantaged by its absence – is small.
  • The benefits would be very low relative to the costs; the Benefit Cost Ratio is 0.3. That means each dollar of expenditure would return only 30 cents worth of benefits over the life of the project.
  • The Opposition’s proposed South Yarra station would cost a lot less ($380 million in 2015$) because its Melbourne Rail Link would’ve used smaller capacity trains requiring 164 metre platforms. Melbourne Metro will use higher-capacity trains, requiring 250-metre-long platforms (as a point of comparison, the long axis of the MCG pitch is 171 metres).
  • There are other interchange opportunities at nearby stations, primarily Caulfield and CBD South.
  • Users of the existing South Yarra station will enjoy a high level of service when Melbourne Metro opens. There will be a peak direction train every two minutes from South Yarra to the city. Passenger loads will fall from 100% capacity to 70% on average.

http://www.dtpli.vic.gov.au/__data/...01029/103-Extract-from-MMRP-Business-Case.pdf

But theres always a list of candidates for infrastructure spend. money might be better spent on tripling the line via skyrail after caulfield to allow for more frequent express trains or country services. It should be more than two lines all the way past dandenong

One thing south yarra commuters can look forward to: less disruption than other stations, and eventually trains bypassing them leaving less crowded train for use.

Yep.

http://www.dtpli.vic.gov.au/__data/...01029/103-Extract-from-MMRP-Business-Case.pdf

As shown in Table 24, over 100,000 customers per day would be a minute worse off if the South Yarra Interchange Station is included, compared to less than 14,000 customers who would be between one and ten minutes better off. In aggregate (i.e. taking into account all journey time savings and all slower journey times), the addition of a new station at South Yarra would add an additional 1,500 hours of travel time per day for public transport users in 2031. 20 Including a new station at South Yarra in the project scope would significantly increase the overall capital cost of the project (in the order of $700 - 970m) and would result in additional rai l, road and other disruption. including additional property acquisitions. The long-term benefits of including a station at South Yarra are therefore too limited to outweigh the additional cost and disruption associated with adding this station to the scope. It is also noted that, even without a new Melbourne Metro station, South Yarra is well serviced by public transport.

On completion of Melbourne Metro, passengers using South Yarra will benefit from improved capacity and more frequent services on the Frankston and Sandringham Lines. including short starter services in the South Yarra area which means these trains will be less crowded during peak periods. Local residents can also access tram services directly from South Yarra to Domain. In addition, a range of alternative interchange options exist (notably Caulfield, Flinders Street and Melbourne Central Stations) for passengers commuting on the Cranbourne and Pakenham Lines who wish to travel to South Yarra and other CBD stations. Based on this analysis, the inclusion of a new interchange at South Yarra is not justified and Melbourne Metro should proceed without a new station interchange at this location.

Yep. the advantage to ALL lines from melbourne metro is the train traffic taken out of the loop. coupled with level crossing removal everyone wins

apart from the ten years of disruption that is :mad:

I see that country trains will still come down the pakenham line and go via richmond, so that ability to move a train that way wont be lost.

they are joking that the toorak tram is a way to get from south yarra to domain. I dint tlive there but id imagine it would be quicker walking most peak periods

Shorten has just called a Victorian Labor minister dumb for having their dogs chauffeured around at taxpayers expense with no one else in the car.
If this wasn't so stupid, it would be hilarious.

Shorten has just called a Victorian Labor minister dumb for having their dogs chauffeured around at taxpayers expense with no one else in the car.
If this wasn't so stupid, it would be hilarious.
He (Shorten) should have call the leach a lot more than dumb!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I was referring to the Safe School program. You know the one that kids are taught all men are evil. Written and authorised by Rosie Batty.

OK I'm not really qualified to comment. I liked the 'keys to life' program in primary school when my kids were there, but they pre dated Premier Andrews (safe schools probably did too)

Sorry I was referring to the Safe School program. You know the one that kids are taught all men are evil. Written and authorised by Rosie Batty.
That's not the Safe Schools program, that's the Domestic Violence Program, The Safe Schools one is the one that is brainwashing kids into thinking it's ok to be gay or transgender and that you can go to any bathroom you like ect. Which is much worse than the Men are inherently evil message of the DV program. You need to get your society destroying programs right! ;) :D

That's not the Safe Schools program, that's the Domestic Violence Program, The Safe Schools one is the one that is brainwashing kids into thinking it's ok to be gay or transgender and that you can go to any bathroom you like ect. Which is much worse than the Men are inherently evil message of the DV program. You need to get your society destroying programs right! ;) :D

Whats the world coming to when the lefties are directing the rightie outrage in the right areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back