List Mgmt. Hugely concerning from the inner sanctum

Remove this Banner Ad

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just read Bick's interview this morning and I have to admit,. this is hugely concerning. It confirms what I think alot of us have figured out from years gone by,.. our great club's ability to negotiate both on the trade table and in terms of player contracts is just not good enough.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...er-contract-negotiations-20170712-gx9pos.html

Can't name names,. but I heard first hand from a hugely prominant player manager that the crows are well known for being the most rigid club to deal with and go in with lowball offers on everything before negotiating hard. This article completely backs that up,.. and from one of our own.

This is killing us.

I completely understood when Danger left to go home,. He was a great servent of our club and as much as I wish he was still in a crows jumper, I completely wish him well. If we botch the Lever deal,.. I'll be filthy at Jake for turning his back on us, after we took a punt on a skinny kid coming off a knee reco,... but I'll also be absolutely more filthy with our club for letting this happen.

Gunston, Bock, Davis, Tippett, Dangerfield and now McGovern and Lever???

Why can our club have such a problem retaining talent?

Have heard the low balling thing when Trigg was in charge. Not sure if its still the case but if so maybe it was Chapman all along and not Trigg

Just read Bick's interview this morning and I have to admit,. this is hugely concerning. It confirms what I think alot of us have figured out from years gone by,.. our great club's ability to negotiate both on the trade table and in terms of player contracts is just not good enough.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...er-contract-negotiations-20170712-gx9pos.html

Can't name names,. but I heard first hand from a hugely prominant player manager that the crows are well known for being the most rigid club to deal with and go in with lowball offers on everything before negotiating hard. This article completely backs that up,.. and from one of our own.

This is killing us.

I completely understood when Danger left to go home,. He was a great servent of our club and as much as I wish he was still in a crows jumper, I completely wish him well. If we botch the Lever deal,.. I'll be filthy at Jake for turning his back on us, after we took a punt on a skinny kid coming off a knee reco,... but I'll also be absolutely more filthy with our club for letting this happen.

Gunston, Bock, Davis, Tippett, Dangerfield and now McGovern and Lever???

Why can our club have such a problem retaining talent?

Total knee jerk reaction, look at the list you just gave a bit more objectively....

Tippett - was more than well paid, over paid actually.
Bock - Made no secret he left for GC because they could offer something that no other club could or would.
Davis - Pretty much same as Bock above, new club with ridiculous caps, can't blame the club for that.
Gunston - Didn't like Adelaide, wouldn't have got paid really any more at Hawks.
Dangerfield - Well we all know that, he didn't even leave based on money (unless future earnings by media gigs etc is a potential factor)

The whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Agree we have to pay Lever reasonable chunk and can't low ball him but really all that's said in that article is common negotiation practice. If these clubs want to get Lever for instance out of a club that he claims to be happy at of course they need to come on strong with their deal. Bottom line is the negotiation goes down differently when you are looking to retain vs get someone out of another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you OP

I've now never been more convinced that he's staying.

You've let me see the light.

We're all being played here. Lever's manager is earning his commission for sure.

Note how sentiment has changed.

Remember early days when Lever was telling everyone he was staying. That interview with BT.

Then like that, it switched. Unsure, wait til CBA, finals, etc

Now where is the sentiment.

"Whatever it takes"

G Cornes is in on it. Rowie. Bickley. The lot.

Levers interview yesterday was so staged. Designed to push the debate further into "pay him more"

He's staying. Guaranteed. And will be paid handsomely for it.

Thank you OP

I've now never been more convinced that he's staying.

You've let me see the light.

We're all being played here. Lever's manager is earning his commission for sure.

Note how sentiment has changed.

Remember early days when Lever was telling everyone he was staying. That interview with BT.

Then like that, it switched. Unsure, wait til CBA, finals, etc

Now where is the sentiment.

"Whatever it takes"

G Cornes is in on it. Rowie. Bickley. The lot.

Levers interview yesterday was so staged. Designed to push the debate further into "pay him more"

He's staying. Guaranteed. And will be paid handsomely for it.

Why would Bicks side with Lever over the club? Whats his motive?

Why would Bicks side with Lever over the club? Whats his motive?
He hasn't. Read the actual quotes. Bicks says nothing of value. If anything he's on the clubs side. It's just the angle the journalist has taken for the story.

Edit: oops I did say Bickley in my post. I think he's being put out there by the club. But it's all part of the dance.

He hasn't. Read the actual quotes. Bicks says nothing of value. If anything he's on the clubs side. It's just the angle the journalist has taken for the story.

"G Cornes is in on it. Rowie. Bickley. The lot."

You can't even keep your story straight for successive posts

Ok so why would crows fans in cornes and rowie do it?
Because they are part of the media. They aren't fans like us. They also have relationships with all facets of football. Including managers.

So Levers manager says to Rowe "mate, Crows aren't putting a good enough deal in front of Jake. How about in his weekly spot, you ask him this and he'll answer this"

Rowe wants to see Lever sign with the Crows. He doesn't really care about how much it's going to cost. He also cares about his ratings.

Ask yourself this. How do you think negotiations go?

We've tabled a bid. Lever hasn't accepted it. How does his manager get us to go up?

By saying no? Sure. As a minimum.

How about getting all the SAfooty media to make a story of what a catastrophe it would be to lose Lever.

How about have the media talk about how unreasonable the Crows are being with their offer.

How about getting your client to pad away any questions about where he is committing his football future

As I said, they're working this one hard. And so they should. It's a 5million dollar investment on both sides.

Because they are part of the media. They aren't fans like us. They also have relationships with all facets of football. Including managers.

So Levers manager says to Rowe "mate, Crows aren't putting a good enough deal in front of Jake. How about in his weekly spot, you ask him this and he'll answer this"

Rowe wants to see Lever sign with the Crows. He doesn't really care about how much it's going to cost. He also cares about his ratings.
And he (they) care about the potential scraps they may be feed in regard to other clubs/players/deals etc .. its a 2 way street, nothing new

Remove this Banner Ad

Back