Hypothetical Draft Pick Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite trade week being over, some of you are still doing frantic mental contortions, indulging in your favourite pasttime of formulating all manner of numerical equilibriums involving picks and teams.

A lot of this is happening in the list management thread. Which is for discussing what Hawthorn are doing with their list. Not what you are doing with a pick points chart and a slightly fevered brow.

I've started deleting them there.

So put them here instead

Animated GIF

If we really want Tsatas:

Out:
WB(F2)
Pick 52

In
F3

Who says no?
I don't love losing the future second (doggies) for the Bombers future third, as that future second could be a decent pick. Do the dual two-position upgrades on our first two picks offset it? I'm not sure.

I don't love losing the future second (doggies) for the Bombers future third, as that future second could be a decent pick. Do the dual two-position upgrades on our first two picks offset it? I'm not sure.

It'd be a slide from ~30 to ~44, but if the difference between Tsatas and Mackenzie/Clark/Humphrey/Phillipou is that great it's 100% worth it in my eyes. If, for example, we rate Tsatas as the best player in the draft then it would be the same result as trading 6+24+WBF2 for 1+22+F3, which I think we would all find a bit more accommodating. I, for one, am not sold on Tsatas as the best player in the draft and would rather hold and take Humphrey, Mackenzie, or Clark. But if he's that high on our internal ranking I can see us pursuing it.

If instead of Tsatas at 4 it were Cadman, Sheezel, or Wardlaw, would you still be apprehensive? We seemingly rate mid second-rounders much higher than early third-rounders if we wouldn't. If we don't rate him higher than whoever we have available, we just won't do it. But I know Strapping Young Lad was floating the idea of shipping DGB+6 for 2 to get Tsatas before the trade period.

On another note, my Grammarly absolutely hates the name Tsatas. Perhaps they know more than we do?

I don't think they have a choice in the matter.

I'm not convinced much will happen for us, however I do have one hypothetical.

Use 6, 24 and the third pick on best available talent which will come in after the Brisbane bids.

Use our first pick beyond 40 on Vickery so we don't need to use extra picks after a bid, then package up our remaining selections and live trade them into next year's draft. There is bound to be a player left on the board that a team wants to trade up or back into for.

It could be two picks in the 40's for a future second or third. That strengthens our hand in next season's stronger draft.

If instead of Tsatas at 4 it were Cadman, Sheezel, or Wardlaw, would you still be apprehensive? We seemingly rate mid second-rounders much higher than early third-rounders if we wouldn't. If we don't rate him higher than whoever we have available, we just won't do it. But I know @Strapping Young Lad was floating the idea of shipping DGB+6 for 2 to get Tsatas before the trade period.
Eagles knew we wanted Pick 2. In exchange they wanted DGB and 6.

We didn’t do it, but Sam was/is very keen on the top end of this draft.

I personally would be a but surprised to see anything happening with 6 now though.

I personally would be a but surprised to see anything happening with 6 now though.

Did we consider doing that deal at all?

Or did we knock it back straight away?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing we are taking 4-5 picks to the draft...
Hawthorn/ Brisbane

Out- 48, 50, 52, 65 (911 pts)
In- 34 (542 pts)

Draft hand: 6, 24, 34, 41
They go from 2441 pts to 2810 pts.
Meaning they could match a bid for Ashcroft at 1 (20% F/S) and have 410 pts for Fletcher.

I don't understand why people consider DGB expendable. He's a 20 year old who has played 21 games. He's still learning and will put on more muscle, though he could be a more wiry, Dustin Fletcher type. Considering he's playing against men, I reckon he's already learnt a lot at the elite level.

I don't understand why people consider DGB expendable. He's a 20 year old who has played 21 games. He's still learning and will put on more muscle, though he could be a more wiry, Dustin Fletcher type. Considering he's playing against men, I reckon he's already learnt a lot at the elite level.
I'm happy to keep DGB, I still think he's going to be a great player for us. But people need to stop viewing the idea of trading him as some kind of knock on him. If you want to get pick 2, you need to give up something of value. DGB is that value. It comes down to net gain, are we better off with say Sheezel than with DGB + whatever other pick is thrown in? (Rhetorical question, let's not get into that argument). We aren't going to get it trading a bunch of shitty picks or fringe players.

(I mean, we're past the trading period so not getting it at all, but for arguments sake ...)

I've said it a few times, no Intel on Hawks, but I get a bit on Essendon.

Bombers are I'm told keen on Humphrey at 4(5). But they also like Tsastas.

More unfortunately for us, I'm told they're looking to package their 2023 second and pick 22 to move up the draft this year.

They're talking with Swans (pick 14) and Giant's (pick 15) around this providing Davey hasn't been bid on before these picks.

Last edited:
I've said it a few times, no Intel on Hawks, but I get a bit on Essendon.

Bombers are I'm told keen on Humphrey at 4(5). But they also like Tsastas.

More importantly for us, I'm told they're looking to package their 2023 second and pick 22 to move up the draft this year.

They're talking with Swans (pick 14) and Giant's (pick 15) around this providing Davey hasn't been bid on at these picks.
How will they pay for Davey once the bid comes in? Will 1 pick in the 50’s and 2 in the 60’s give them enough points to match a bid ?

How will they pay for Davey once the bid comes in? Will 1 pick in the 50’s and 2 in the 60’s give them enough points to match a bid ?

They can go into defecit next year. But also you'd imagine they'll try get late picks back (that probably won't be used) also.

Hopefully Swans and Giants have eyes on players that will be available at those picks and the bombers have to move to other trade options.

Really think pick 22 is the best we can hope for when trying to improve our draft hand.

Hopefully Swans and Giants have eyes on players that will be available at those picks and the bombers have to move to other trade options.

Really think pick 22 is the best we can hope for when trying to improve our draft hand.

That would cost one of our future seconds but.

I'm told bombers don't rate this as a deep draft, and don't have any interest handing over pick 22 for late picks if it really only means they benefit keeping a pick in the 40s after matching Davey.

They'll just use 22 as part of matching Davey in that instance.

As I mentioned, I'm told their focus is on moving up. If they can't, their backup is gaining a future second for 22.

Last edited:
That would cost one of our future seconds but.

I'm told bombers don't rate this as a deep draft, and don't have any interest handing over pick 22 for late picks if it really only means they benefit keeping a pick in the 40s after matching Davey.

They'll just use 22 as part of matching Davey in that instance.

As I mentioned, I'm told their focus is on moving up. If they can't, their backup is gaining a future second for 22.
What it really means is that they do not want to give a leg up to anyone else and would rather use that pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back