Preview 2023 Mid Season Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Hawks are turning into the land of the giants. Reeves 210 cm, Tucker 204 cm, Ramsden 203 cm, Meek 203 cm, Ryan 200, Lewis 199, Lynch 199 cm, Nash 198com, Jeka 198 cm, Koschitzke 196cm, Blanck 196 cm, Hustwaite 195, Frost 194 cm, Scrimshaw 194 cm, G-Barrass 194, long 194 cm, Serong 193.
Yes and it's the land of the agile giants

Both have good foot skills and clean hands (one grab contested marks)
This is Sam’s recruiting mantra Skills, Skills and when in doubt Skills.
I think we can all handle a low ladder position when there’s an obvious plan in play.
Good insurance for a ruck injury whilst going someway to addressing the no Lewis no Hawthorn issue

Tried to address some gaping holes in the list here.
Before this draft our back up ruck and tall forward options playing at Box Hill were..................Max Ramsden!

Desperate? Yes.
Hopefully they come on. Good heights, decent skills, need some feeding.

Last edited:
Underwhelming and uninspiring additions to the list

good luck to them but the evening was a waste of time

2 speculative picks

Maric looks good
Maric could probably play AFL next week for WC. His ceiling is no higher than Serong. No loss there.

Tucker looks a solid choice. Underwheming as of today , yes, but if Lynch does not recover, then it is an astute choice. Underwhelming is OK when the choice is smart.

aside! his hawks package looks good.

Last edited:

2 speculative picks

Maric looks good
There were 12 picks mid season post covid influence what did you expect? We have a deep list we don’t have enough a grade yet. These guys mean ramsden can develop as a forward almost exclusively which may be worth the picks in and of themselves. List management is more complex than pick good players with the picks you have.

Our Hawks are turning into the land of the giants. Reeves 210 cm, Tucker 204 cm, Ramsden 203 cm, Meek 203 cm, Ryan 200, Lewis 199, Lynch 199 cm, Nash 198com, Jeka 198 cm, Koschitzke 196cm, Blanck 196 cm, Hustwaite 195, Frost 194 cm, Scrimshaw 194 cm, G-Barrass 194, long 194 cm, Serong 193.

It's a far cry from our days of having 40 half back flankers.

Seriously - it’s a Mid Season draft - if you expect to be inspired by any of the selections then you may need to adjust your expectations to something a little closer to reality
I think after drafting a gem like Jai in the MSD couple of years back expectations of the MSD may have been high and unrealistic. Newcombe was an outlier really if people could’ve foreseen how good he would become he would’ve been a 1st round pick at the national.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like these choices personally. We have enough midfielders already. We need KPPs and both these guys look like they can play forward as well as ruck. They also give us coverage in the event Lewis or Reeves get injured again. Both are young enough to be of service for five years- plus if they are good enough. Maric fell before our pick so I think this is a pretty good outcome, all things considered.

2 speculative picks

Maric looks good
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure you said similar about our picks in the last ND

I really don’t think you’ll ever be happy with Hawks

These 2 players makes me think we've gone back in time, I swear we just picked up Spider Burton and Greg Dear :D:D:D

But being serious, I think Tucker will be good ruck depth, he seemed like one of the best rucks in the CTL, B Ryan was a MM special, reports of him eyeing off Ryan seem to be true, good work whoever reported that info...

These 2 players makes me think we've gone back in time, I swear we just picked up Spider Burton and Greg Dear :D:D:D

But being serious, I think Tucker will be good ruck depth, he seemed like one of the best rucks in the CTL, B Ryan was a MM special, reports of him eyeing off Ryan seem to be true, good work whoever reported that info...

it was a strange observation on my part at the time

On Saturday afternoon at 3/4 time I noticed something a little weird.

Mark Mackenzie was on the oval and just watching/listening to the Bullants huddle from a respectful distance. I have no idea if this is something he normally does so maybe the regular Box Hill watchers can let us know. His eyes were fixed on what appeared to be one person for a prolonged period. So I sneakily wriggled my way around to see who it might be that he was looking at with such interest.

It wasnt the coach Brodie Hollands, or at least I dont think it was. I assumed it was a player/s that he was watching. In the end I think it may have been the tallish bloke who played some time in the ruck and forward - left footer. I dont know his name but think it might have been the player that recently received some media that he was being looked at by clubs as a possible for the MSD.

Edit - yes it was this bloke

We had interviewed Tucker a long way out before MSD. A few times apparently along with Adelaide (Who didn’t end up having a pick). And a Sydney side had come into the picture later on. Despite GWS opening two positions, the Hawks knew they had to take him at 3 if they wanted him.

Last edited:
We’re pretty short of tall prospects. The two picked seem a nice combo of best available and also tall. Ryan the more intriguing prospect of the two. Expect tucker will be given a fair bit of time.

We passed over Buller for B Ryan with few fans here saying he reminded them of Callow.

Has started well for Swans, may end up playing in AFL soon given Swans injury issues.

Jack Buller’s start to life as a Swan has begun in stunning fashion after the former Claremont star booted five goals in Sydney’s first VFL victory of 2023.
Buller, 22, was the final pick in last week’s mid-season rookie draft after a strong start to the season for the Tigers.
He made an impact immediately for Sydney, finishing with 5.4 from 19 disposals, four tackles and five marks as Sydney beat Sandringham 12.8 (80) to 11.10 (76) on Friday.
It took less than 10 minutes for Buller to kick his first goal as a Swan with an opportunistic soccer from the goalsquare after some good body work on his opponent.
https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1667008558435803136

We passed over Buller for B Ryan with few fans here saying he reminded them of Callow.

Has started well for Swans, may end up playing in AFL soon given Swans injury issues.

Jack Buller’s start to life as a Swan has begun in stunning fashion after the former Claremont star booted five goals in Sydney’s first VFL victory of 2023.
Buller, 22, was the final pick in last week’s mid-season rookie draft after a strong start to the season for the Tigers.
He made an impact immediately for Sydney, finishing with 5.4 from 19 disposals, four tackles and five marks as Sydney beat Sandringham 12.8 (80) to 11.10 (76) on Friday.
It took less than 10 minutes for Buller to kick his first goal as a Swan with an opportunistic soccer from the goalsquare after some good body work on his opponent.
https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1667008558435803136
Swans first win of the season too, so a v strong start from Buller to nail almost half their score in a close game.

Every club passed on Buller. Even the Swans who eventually took him last in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back