Ultimate Glory Hawthorn blue sky discussion thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

We should be playing off in the 2023 GF.

Sydney made the 22GF and our list is better than theirs in 23.
I thought Sydney's turn-around and trajectory over the last two years has been phenomenal. On-field leadership is the key in my book, and we are not as lacking as some would suggest:

Sicily - 8 yrs at AFL level & got it all
Lewis - 5 yrs at AFL level & signed for 4 yrs
Worpel - 5 yrs at AFL level & former B&F, came to the club with leadership credentials
Hardwick - 7 yrs at AFL level & given no:15 (says it all)
Bruest - 12 yrs at AFL level with 3 premierships
Frost, Wingard & Morrison - then a host of young blokes who wreak leadership.

And it would seem all are invested ...

Now that warriors of bygone game-plans are gone (said with the utmost respect) there is a freshness about the club. In 2023 we will refine and build synergy, In 2024 teams will be looking over their shoulders, In 2025 oppo teams will spend-up big on bandages & tissues. In 2026 Essendon will have sacked at least 2 coaches & be looking on in awe.

Blue skies indeed .......

Last edited:

I thought Sydney's turn-around and trajectory over the last two years has been phenomenal. On-field leadership is the key in my book, and we are not as lacking as some would suggest:
Free access to a massive academy is in fact the key.

I know there are good signs every year, and we may not do a lot of damage this year, but there’s just something so exciting about everything that’s brewing.

Brocky back at the club and looking good; Josh ‘Prime Time’/‘Time Trial’ King Weddle blitzing the field and looking like he could genuinely do anything; essentially new club recruits (or only 1 year in) in Ramma, Long, Amon, and Greene all smashing the time trial; critical players like Day, Newc, and Worps all coming back looking in great shape; Long and CMac looking great and hopefully getting midfield minutes this year - there are so many positives to take out of the preseason thus far and I can’t wait to see what the year brings!

It wouldn't surprise for us to get off to another flyer like last year. In the first 6 rounds we have very winnable games against Essendon, North, GWS and Adelaide, plus last years grand finalists and recent rivals Geelong and Sydney. Two thirds through last year we started putting players out for surgery in preparation for this year. Wouldn't it be great to start the year with a bang and give a finger to the negative press. Even D Barrett said we are tanking this year. Look at the upside of injured players from last year. CJ, Impey, Wingard, Bramble, Reeves, Lewis, Day, Frost all had injury interrupted seasons. This plus natural improvement of young players and contributions from new recruits will make us more competitive than most predict. We should also be faster this year without Mitchell etc.

This year we’re going to have a particular place for positivity. A thread where you can come and feel all warm and fuzzy about the Hawks, no matter what.

It’s not for naysayers or doomsters who turn up in most other threads to question a players worth or form, it’s for posters who are seeing something they like, highlighting the positives and just general blue sky thoughts.

I’ve already seen lots of posters talking about how they’re excited about the draftees and the growth in the list. More of that is what this thread is all about.

Note: the thread will be moderated accordingly, and posts that are only made to post fun at the thread or talk down the positivity will be removed.
A THREAD MADE FOR ME YESSSSSSSSS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many players with so much potential, it's so refreshing

Things I hope to see:

• Day to get a clean run and live up to the hype6
  • Meek and Reeves to form a long term duo
  • MacDonald and Ward to dodge 2nd year blues and continue to shine
  • Stephens to slot in perfectly as a huge mid, making the cats look silly
  • Backline to continue to be cohesive
  • Lewis to push for the Coleman
  • Weddle and Mackenzie to push for the RS
  • Newcombe, Amon and Moore to push for AA
  • Sicily to captain the AA!
  • Brocky to also get a clean run, I'm really bullish on him he has 'it'
  • lastly, the possibles... DGB, Ramsden, Hustwaite, Butler..

The most exciting things is the number of potential strong mids we have, watching them grow with our 24 year old rucks well be a delight

'Sun is shining in the sky'

Things I hope to see:

The most exciting things is the number of potential strong mids we have, watching them grow with our 24 year old rucks well be a delight

Great post but you covered almost every angle so there's no point in me posting anything at all. 😁

Things I hope to see:

I was with you all the way till the Sicily to captain the AA squad 😂

Unless the entire AA selection panel crashes into the Swiss Alps flying to one of Gills mansions in the South of France it's just not going to happen 😢

Of course it is.

There are many posters who are notably conspicuous by their absence after a win.
I always found it amusing that a large number of the negative nancys and chicken littles on the game day thread are posters who I rarely or never see during my constant perusal of the forum during the week.

Hard not to be excited by our young midfield.
There's a lot to like in the early stages of our rebuild.

Day, Newcombe, Worps, Ward, Frenchie, Nash, Finn with Moorey and CMac also rolling through every now and then. It's an exciting group. We've also got Longy knocking on the door and Hustwaite looks like he has the potential also.

There's a lot to work with in this area!

There's a lot to like in the early stages of our rebuild.

Day, Newcombe, Worps, Ward, Frenchie, Nash, Finn with Moorey and CMac also rolling through every now and then. It's an exciting group. We've also got Longy knocking on the door and Hustwaite looks like he has the potential also.

There's a lot to work with in this area!
Hopefully Weddle in due course as well.

I'm loving how Dylan Moore is getting the recognition deserved for how he's played over the past season and a bit. Within the walls of our club, he's obviously highly regarded but to hear him mentioned on radio, tv, the footy shows being compared statistically to the marquee players in to competition, it's all blue sky ahead for him.
I was at the Adelaide Oval for the last Covid game and I'm really glad he got that final opportunity to show what he could do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back