Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Spanger is waiting in the lobby
Happy to wear Simpkin and certainly Renouf but Spangher was a decent footballer whose career was severely impacted by injury. The year he won the flag with us he deserved his spot played some really good football.

Geez if a tackle like that means you’re looking at 3+ weeks unless you can argue out of it, the game has really lost the plot and it’s becoming more difficult to keep wanting to follow/invest in it which is unfortunate.

Also, how TF can you with a straight face grade that tackle as the same or worse than what De Goey just did?

Run past the ball, leave your feet, shoulder to the head, KO = 3 weeks

Tackle the player around the waist who has the ball, pull him to the ground…also 3 weeks
Because Hawthorn

He didn’t pin the arms. Not reasonably foreseeable because contact with other player. Maybe a week but I can’t see anything more than that.

The little shove into the ground post injury is a bad look and will cost him I reckon
I'd argue that the shove indicates he had no idea the McCluggage was in strife. Sic is an edge player, but he's not an a-hole. If he knew there was a chance he'd been knocked out or injured, he'd have looked after him. Sic went back once he realised too and hung with the trainers.

Brockman definitely influenced the tackle outcome, there wasn't head contact between them but he alterred McCluggage's trajectory because his weight was on the shoulders pushing him forward as his hips rotated back. That's what caused the whiplash action. not Sicily. Honestly, if the tribunal suspend Sicily, there's a real problem here.

1686478333941.png
1686478540473.png

Edit, one more thing: The MRO's findings are weird, "The Match Review Officer graded Sicily's actions as careless conduct, severe impact and high contact." How is this graded as "Severe impact and High Contact", is that a new was to grade a player's head hitting the ground? There's no was Sic made high contact at all, so I presume that's how it's done now.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Remind me what we gave away to get Meek

Was at the game today and noticed the number of blocks, shepards, knock ons and general intimidation that he brings to the table on top of the things that you see via the stats - boys clearly love playing with him and yes he is one humongous unit as one D Rich will attest to

BTW was brilliant to be back at the G on a Saturday afternoon - would be handy if Gilligan and his merry men could see fit to give us a few more games in this timeslot instead of constantly burying us in the black hole that is Sunday twilight
Basically Jom. I think we won

Jonathan Simpkin won a flag with us.

Matt Spanger is waiting in the lobby
Both of these players were supreme club men. Simpkin was perfectly built as the well experienced burst player off the interchange bench and Spangher had a career in preparation for what he did on grand final day 2014.

And for the poster who mocked Greg Madigan, that 89 team had no passengers however you want to frame it.

On the Sicily to tribunal farce, a couple of things.

First, and most importantly, there's no immediate impact to McCluggage, which is good for him.

Second, I was volunteering at my son's junior footy game (U18s) a few weeks ago where there was a tackle laid, and one young lad on the oppo team was knocked over (maybe out) with a suspected broken neck. Game on pause for 1+ hour whilst the ambulance arrived. The umpires spoke to the kid who laid the tackle: assured him it was a fair tackle, just one of these things in footy. The oppo coach and team manager came up to the same kid and said basically the same thing. [The young chap was OK vis-a-vis broken neck.]

So I don't understand how a volunteer-run footy comp can show more common sense and thoughtfulness than an allegedly professional league run by highly paid people. ("Highly paid"? Yes, it's important. If we were still in the 1970s and earlier where most people involved were doing it around other full time jobs, I'd be slightly more forgiving... and the usual justification for paying the big $ is, "you get what you pay for". Hmmm... maybe not here.)

I'm really close to giving up on the AFL. Will always love my Hawks, and will still enjoy going to local footy to watch it but not that interested in watching a poorly run, poorly adjudicated (both on and off field) league which seems to be in a thrall to vested interests (media and gambling) above people.

I don't think it's permeated the craniums of those geniuses at AFL HQ that their desperate efforts to impression manage will actually lead to the opposite outcome they are after, ie declining participation in the game, and declining numbers of viewers and gamblers.

Positive bit to end my post: well done to the boys on the way they played, and I'll go back and check out the video of young Henry with Luke Breust for some positivity about the game and the difference it can make.

Rant over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love beating Fagan‘s front runners!

That was great fun yesterday
Basically Jom. I think we won
The Hawks traded O'Meara and their future fourth-round selection to the Dockers in exchange for Meek and a future second-round selection

We didn't just get Meek for O'Meara - we created room/time in the midfield for Day, Worpel, Macdonald, Mackenzie, Moore etc. Same for the Mitchell trade. It wasn't just Stephens we got back.
From a team perspective going forward, I'd say they're both wins.
And it was a velvet glove separation with JOM, who was a terrific club man.

One thing I've loved this seeing grow is the leadership on field. At the end of last year, it was just Sicily as our only clear option for Captain. Now we've got a host of choices. Lewis, Day, Newcombe, Moore and even Hardwick I've felt has stepped up. What a time to be alive!

2 games should be probably seen as a huge win considering the way suspensions have been dolled out this season. Then tack on the fact it's Sicily and he plays for Hawthorn. Probably be luck he doesn't get the death penalty 😂
Nahh ... Our Tanking strategy of shedding over 1000 games of experience hasn't worked. So plan B is to have the captain get rubbed out every second week and see how that goes ....... :tonguewink:

Last edited:
Feeling pretty filthy about the Sicily referral. Not that it matters, but anything more than a couple of weeks will all but rule him out for AA which would be a travesty given the snub last year. Hope we fight it hard.

You're right, it doesn't actually make any difference to our season. I just hope we can draw a line somewhere reasonable with this issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back