Preview 2023 Mid Season Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the 4 BH guys listed for MSD Medicals only Ethan Stanley has played regularly for BH.

Is it a case of hiding talent before the MSD?

God knows we need a KPF - is it one of Tucker, Elliot or Maric? Or maybe two of those guys.

I read somewhere Elliot had been touted as Top 10 material before the knee injury and was initially the captain at Oakleigh last year.

Ryan Maric will play for Box Hill on Saturday.

The final inclusion to the Hawks’ squad is Gippsland Power top-aged prospect Ryan Maric. The 193cm tall utility can play forward or back as is of interest to number of clubs in the build-up to next Wednesday’s draft. He’ll make his state league debut – but at which end of the ground? Time will tell.

Of the 4 BH guys listed for MSD Medicals only Ethan Stanley has played regularly for BH.

God knows we need a KPF - is it one of Tucker, Elliot or Maric? Or maybe two of those guys.

I read somewhere Elliot had been touted as Top 10 material before the knee injury and was initially the captain at Oakleigh last year.
Tucker & Elliot, for mine. Both.

Probably in that order.

Elliott has the attributes, but I'm not sure why he was touted as a top-10 prospect. It was mainly based off his start to the 2021 NAB League season, but he wasn’t exactly putting up big stats. And since then, he hasn’t really dominated one bit. The form of Clay Tucker has been much better.

Best available at both picks. We don't need another project ruck on the list.
Should be 'highest ceiling available', not just best available. If we believe Tucker to have the highest ceiling then we should jump at the opportunity, even if he is a 'project ruck'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this says pretty well where our priorities lie pertaining to potential selections for the midseason draft. It appears it will be Maric or Tucker with our first pick, and if we do take a second pick after Max Lynch being ruled out for the rest of the year, it seems we'll take 188cm wing/forward Ethan Stanley, who has been impressing for Box Hill. I know Will Elliott is also on Box Hill's list like Clay Tucker, but we seem more interested in Tucker.

Last edited:
With Lynch out for the rest of the year my money is on us taking Clay Tucker (18, 204cm, 99kg).

…Another teenager that missed out on selection at the 2022 National Draft, Tucker stands at 204cm and is seen as more of a project player for AFL clubs to consider.

Several sides will be looking toward ruck options that can have an immediate impact through this month's intake, while others will see Tucker's long-term upside as a tempting avenue for their list build.

"It is typically a taller draft and Clay Tucker is going to be right up there. I think he is a little more long-term. There's probably guys who are more of a mature age and ready to go if clubs are in desperate need of that ready-made ruck," Alvaro said.

"Able to play across all three lines of the field, Tucker firms as an appealing prospect for clubs with vacant list spots

"Clay's probably a guy who needs a little bit more development. He probably hasn't necessarily taken games by the scruff of the neck yet, but the signs are there.

"He's awesome at the centre bounces, he's got really good ruck craft. Over 200cms, so he ticks that box and covers the ground quite nicely. He's been able to sort of expand his game around the ground, whether that be dropping back to take intercept marks in defence or going forward. We saw in the most recent Young Guns game he kicked two goals in a quarter, storming out on the lead presenting really strongly.

"He's a guy who's slowly adding pieces to the puzzle. Talented 204cm players who are quite athletic don't come around too often. (Leading ruckmen from) previous drafts were probably second-rounders, whereas we might have three or four first-rounders this year.

"So whether a club wants to take the chance on Tucker or wait for the end-of-season draft we'll see."

Attachments

• IMG_2847.jpeg
    IMG_2847.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 120
Stanley with 2nd pick
Can’t say I have seen it with Stanley not to say he’s not a decent player but I don’t see enough upside or the need for his type I would be surprised. Seems like my hope for teal is forlorn and it’s maric or tucker. Maybe they now open the second list spot and Punxsutawney Jed Rule emerges from his temporary home on Damian Barrett…

Can’t say I have seen it with Stanley not to say he’s not a decent player but I don’t see enough upside or the need for his type I would be surprised. Seems like my hope for teal is forlorn and it’s maric or tucker. Maybe they now open the second list spot and Punxsutawney Jed Rule emerges from his temporary home on Damian Barrett…
Stanley has talent but is not what we need. A hard pass for the MSD for mine?

Ryan Maric: looked a good HF flanker. At 18 years old he plays like a 22 year old. He seems a solid prospect.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back