AFLW Autopsy Play nice - that was the season that was 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
For starters - anyone that wants to pot a player, back it up with evidence, and not your "vibe"

Onto what worked and what not

Love stratton, she's my smokey for the best and fairest. Felt that she never dropped her head in any game, and the players lifted

The season felt like a mishmash. We came in underdone due to injuries and were never really able to get going. We had passages this year where we looked amazing. Even the Melbourne game, a 10 goal loss but if you weren't keeping score, you'd think it was closer

Geelong game the only game we really looked put of our depth, and I think that's partly as we were flat as nothing glto play for, and the cats everything to play for

Mattea Breed will be an absolute weapon playing second ruck next year - remember, she is a first year player

A few aren't fans of Fleming, but she spent a lot of time on the flank (a position which may as well not exist with our gameplan of using the corridor at all costs). When she was in the middle she was heavily tagged. Great to learn how to do it now

Aine McDonagh wins our goalkicking for the year. Only 9 goals, but still a feather in the cap given she hadn't touched a sherin before last year

For starters - anyone that wants to pot a player, back it up with evidence, and not your "vibe"

Onto what worked and what not

Love stratton, she's my smokey for the best and fairest. Felt that she never dropped her head in any game, and the players lifted

The season felt like a mishmash. We came in underdone due to injuries and were never really able to get going. We had passages this year where we looked amazing. Even the Melbourne game, a 10 goal loss but if you weren't keeping score, you'd think it was closer

Geelong game the only game we really looked put of our depth, and I think that's partly as we were flat as nothing glto play for, and the cats everything to play for

Mattea Breed will be an absolute weapon playing second ruck next year - remember, she is a first year player

A few aren't fans of Fleming, but she spent a lot of time on the flank (a position which may as well not exist with our gameplan of using the corridor at all costs). When she was in the middle she was heavily tagged. Great to learn how to do it now

Aine McDonagh wins our goalkicking for the year. Only 9 goals, but still a feather in the cap given she hadn't touched a sherin before last year
Agree 100% MM, the season rarely looked like getting up and going. Some glimpses of how we will play in the future which was really pleasing. Disposal was the most disappointing thing for me, but another preseason and we will improve, if we can tighten our zone and execute our disposal we will win more games.
The new additions will be more connected and I reckon the third season will be the charm.
Go Hawks.

Agree 100% MM, the season rarely looked like getting up and going. Some glimpses of how we will play in the future which was really pleasing. Disposal was the most disappointing thing for me, but another preseason and we will improve, if we can tighten our zone and execute our disposal we will win more games.
The new additions will be more connected and I reckon the third season will be the charm.
Go Hawks.

I think a lot of the disposal issues are overstated. Yes, there's some bad miskicks, but most are the result of high pressure.
On TV it doesn't look great, but at the ground it's evident how little time they have. Young players will fix that up.

I also noticed the last couple of weeks that the players were making an effort not to overcommit to the contest. Which stopped a lot of the out the back goals teams were getting against us, and stopped the defence having to scramble

My thoughts it was a good season of progress. On the list
Backline
Eardley star build around
Jenna Richardson underrated 3rd defender
Kemp I like great user
Tam smith excellent old school back pocket
Need a quick run and carry player and that’s not gilroy shes no good down back she’s a wing/HF

Midfield
Bates star
Fleming on the way to being a star
TLR underrated
Baskaran developing nicely
Everett looks decent prospect as a defensive winger
Need more depth and another gun the cats absolutely towelled us up

Forwards
McDonagh actually liked her back but needed forward
Hipwell will be very good when she learns where to run and use her speed
Bodey and stratton excellent this year
Really need a KP number 1 as mcDonagh is 2 and hipwell 3

Rucks
Wales coming along really nicely
Breed good as a defender and 2nd ruck chop out and give a contest
Need to add a ruck this off season at least for depth

Anyone I haven’t covered I either don’t know enough about or I dont think will make it.

My thoughts it was a good season of progress. On the list
Backline
Eardley star build around
Jenna Richardson underrated 3rd defender
Kemp I like great user
Tam smith excellent old school back pocket
Need a quick run and carry player and that’s not gilroy shes no good down back she’s a wing/HF

Midfield
Bates star
Fleming on the way to being a star
TLR underrated
Baskaran developing nicely
Everett looks decent prospect as a defensive winger
Need more depth and another gun the cats absolutely towelled us up

Forwards
McDonagh actually liked her back but needed forward
Hipwell will be very good when she learns where to run and use her speed
Bodey and stratton excellent this year
Really need a KP number 1 as mcDonagh is 2 and hipwell 3

Rucks
Wales coming along really nicely
Breed good as a defender and 2nd ruck chop out and give a contest
Need to add a ruck this off season at least for depth

Anyone I haven’t covered I either don’t know enough about or I dont think will make it.
We will be getting a second ruck as a pre-draft signing along with stone. Think that will also solve our tall-forward issue as she will be a forward/ruck whilst it will allow Wales to play ruck/forward.

Kemp, whilst I love the way she plays, will probably be on the way out to allow Breed to play defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back