Bang for buck draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to wonder if the games played average of higher draft picks is not impacted by the fact the players wouldn’t get so many games to prove their worth, were they taken later in the draft.

Richard Tambling for example. If he was a Pick 25, would he have been given so many opportunities to find his form? I think I know the answer to that. Clubs are stubborn and can often try very hard to redeem themselves for bad selections.
Josh Schache is another that comes to mind.

Schache reminds me of Dowler. Supremely gifted but lacking the heart.

It makes me wonder how clubs test for this leading up to national drafts.

I'm not sure I would put DGBs rebounding ability up with CJs (or even Scrimshaws or Sicily's).

He's only averaging 8 possessions a game so it's not like he is getting enough of the ball to be a high possession rebound defender.

That's my main query in DGB. What position will he end up playing? I can't see him ever having the build to be a Weitering/May KPD and he is probably the worst runner on our list which makes me query whether he can make it as a pure rebound defender.

He needs a massive pre season to build both his strength and fitness.
He often has 100% disposal efficiency. Who do you think those disposals are going to? CJ, Scrimshaw and Sicily perhaps, just maybe just perhaps.

We get it, you don't like him. Not sure if he ran over your cat, but your dying on a hill that just doesn't exist.

He often has 100% disposal efficiency. Who do you think those disposals are going to? CJ, Scrimshaw and Sicily perhaps, just maybe just perhaps.

We get it, you don't like him. Not sure if he ran over your cat, but your dying on a hill that just doesn't exist.
I have never said I don't like him, like I said previously I did see some signs last year that he could play.

But I do struggle with many posters on this forum making out like he has set the world on fire since he was drafted as both the eye test and statistically he has struggled quite a bit at times. I get that he is being thrown in the deep end being asked to be a key position defender but that's what he was drafted as.

I don't think it's being overly negative to point this out and suggest that this year is massive year for DGB to prove he belongs in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back