Hypothetical Draft Pick Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Best case scenario
Is keep pick 6 this year
Trade Bombers draft points for pick 22 to match bids for Davey & Munkara
Trade GWS a future 2nd(bulldogs) & 3rd round(Hawks) for pick 19
Then we have pick 6, 19, 22 & 25 in this year's draft
And still have our 1st and 2nd round next year

If Tsatas is still on the board, and the Roos want him as he is mates with Wardlaw, could we trade 6 and WB f2 for North's future first and 23?

Or if they don't like that give them our future second instead?

Gives us a good chance of a top 2 pick next year-can't see who would be worse than them outside of west coast- and another top 10 pick, while having 23 and 24 this year could get us 2 of Jones, Hotton, Clarke, Burgiel or Keeler

what id like done if you isn't available at 6.

Hawks: 41, 50, 52
Lions: 34 and dogs future 3rd

Hawks: 6, 48, Future 2nd (dogs), future 4th (lions)
Saints: 9, 28 and future 1st

2022: 9, 24, 28, 34, 63
2023: 1st rounder (ours and stk), 2nd rounder (ours), 3rd rounder (ours and WB)

9. Cam Mackenzie
24. Charlie Clark
28/34. Mitch Szybkowski/ Adam D'Aloia/ Isaac Keeler
63. Vickery

or

Hawks: 41, 50, 52
Lions: 34 and dogs future 3rd

Hawks: 6, future 2nd (WB), Future 3rd (WB), future 4th (lions)
Melb: 13, 37, Future first (Melb and freo)

2022: 13, 24, 34, 37, 48, 63
2023: 1st rounder (ours, Melb, freo), 2nd rounder (ours), 3rd rounder (wb)

13. Matt Jefferson
24. Charlie Clark
34. Mitch Szybkowski/ Adam D'Aloia/ Coby Burgiel
37. Mitch Szybkowski/ Adam D'Aloia/ Coby Burgiel
48. Bailey McDonald
63. Vickery

Last edited:
people getting wild in the run up to the draft. We need to calm the farm and be realistic about our limited capital and where we should focus. We aren’t getting dons 22 or gws 19 there are sides in far better positions to give them what they want. Our focus should be to immediately get 2 picks 35,36 from lions with our later picks which gives us 4 decent picks. If there are sliders we may even get a decent offer for one of them. If possible use leverage to strengthen our future hand an extra f2 would be ideal as the main target should be suns f1. They need to convert their 6 3rd and 4th round picks into higher picks for their academy 4 without needing a million open list spots.
Also can we have a new tapping sign
“Don’t ask for lions pick 34 it’s the same as 35”

people getting wild in the run up to the draft. We need to calm the farm and be realistic about our limited capital and where we should focus. We aren’t getting dons 22 or gws 19 there are sides in far better positions to give them what they want. Our focus should be to immediately get 2 picks 35,36 from lions with our later picks which gives us 4 decent picks. If there are sliders we may even get a decent offer for one of them. If possible use leverage to strengthen our future hand an extra f2 would be ideal as the main target should be suns f1. They need to convert their 6 3rd and 4th round picks into higher picks for their academy 4 without needing a million open list spots.
Also can we have a new tapping sign
“Don’t ask for lions pick 34 it’s the same as 35”
exactly, been hanging around few of the other club boards and I would think there are others who can do better deal for GWS pick 19 or Dons 22 or even melb 13 or Swans 14 and/or 17. Most seem happy to take sliders and not in tearing hurry to move up to take Tsatas or Humphrey

We should not be chasing any of them. Just interviewing people is enough to put cat among pigeons. I perfectly fine to use pick 6/7 and take Tsatas or Mackenzie and remain open to offers.

exactly, been hanging around few of the other club boards and I would think there are others who can do better deal for GWS pick 19 or Dons 22 or even melb 13 or Swans 14 and/or 17. Most seem happy to take sliders and not in tearing hurry to move up to take Tsatas or Humphrey

We should not be chasing any of them. Just interviewing people is enough to put cat among pigeons. I perfectly fine to use pick 6/7 and take Tsatas or Mackenzie and remain open to offers.
Twomey hardly mentions us trading with lions he mentions north trading pick 40 and when he does mention It at the absolute bottom of our spiel it’s for one pick only. He’s not dumb it has to be his scum allegiance the most obvious trade is us getting 35,36 surely???

If Rowston is bid on before pick 18( as seen on the Foxfooty phantom draft), would it make sense to offer GWS both our F2's for 18 & 19 and then after bid match trade 24 for their F2/F3

IN : 18,19, F2/F3(GWS)
OUT: 24, F2, F2(WB)

GWS will lose their pick 31 & 57 in the bid match. I am sure Essendon are offering the same with their 22+F2

There is no way we should be trading pick 6 for future firsts or whatever and end up with a pick later than 9 in this draft. Ridiculous.
We're rebuilding. We need at least one good pick every year.
Last year was Ward & CMac (CMac surprisingly good!) and this year will be either Tsatas or Mackenzie or Phillipou and any of them is a win too.
We go from there. Next year we have a 1st and two seconds.
We should keep both those future seconds because Will McCabe will be f/s next year and he's already being talked up as a first rounder.
If Rowston is bid on before pick 18( as seen on the Foxfooty phantom draft), would it make sense to offer GWS our F2 for 18 & 19 and then after bid match trade 24 for their F3

IN : 18,19, F3(GWS)
OUT: 24, F2

GWS will lose their pick 31 & 57 in the bid match. I am sure Essendon are offering the same with their 22, so we may have to better it and only ask for F4 back( assuming AFL approves such a deal)
Is this 18,19 for about pick 24?
Not very likely.
Maybe 18,19,31 for 50 ,2023r1.

After Cal's Phantom dropped, I saw a Crows fan offer their f1 & North F2 they have for Saints pick so they can get The Pou.

Was wondering would something like that work for pick 6, i can see it opening quite a few options to get back in to the top of this draft. So hear me out.

Adel : F1, F2, F2(North)
Hawks pick 6, F2(WB) - ( they need to have a F2 pick)

We can use the Crows or our F1 to trade for Dees 13 & 2 F1's, these top F1's woudl be mighty tempting for Dees or Swans and I would be loathe to trade them away as well. Either way, we will still have 3 F1's for 2013 + extra F2. The extra F2's also make trade for GWS 18,19 given above more of a possibility.

After Cal's Phantom dropped, I saw a Crows fan offer their f1 & North F2 they have for Saints pick so they can get The Pou.

Was wondering would something like that work for pick 6, i can see it opening quite a few options to get back in to the top of this draft. So hear me out.

We can use the Crows or our F1 to trade for Dees 13 & 2 F1's, these top F1's woudl be mighty tempting for Dees or Swans and I would be loathe to trade them away as well. Either way, we will still have 3 F1's for 2013 + extra F2. The extra F2's also make trade for GWS 18,19 given above more of a possibility.
Deal, cut and run lads.

Pick 6
~Pick 30-34

for

~Pick 3-8
~Pick 19-24
~Pick 21-26

If Tsatas isn't there you sign that deal and giggle your way to the bank. Don't mess around with that other stuff, Crows could still well be a bottom four side and even if they aren't two top ten picks next year gives us a mountain of flexibility to wheel and deal for higher or lower picks, plus it's just another shot at the HARLEY REID lottery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a great result imo

The concept is good but they don't do that deal.

They would look at F1 and F2 (tied to kangas - should be pick 19) for WBF2 and 6... And I personally would do that deal

They would look at F1 and F2 (tied to kangas - should be pick 19) for WBF2 and 6... And I personally would do that deal
I love the intent I’m not sure it’s enough. Effectively we take pick 6 and convert it to something like pick 6 next year (crows f1), so it’s mainly upgrading dogs f2 roughly pick 30 to pick 19. Written like that I’d want more to give up a good player this year, but I think their f2 outright is too much. I would ask for a swap of their f2 for our f3. That also supports my view that we should be targeting suns f1 and the way to get it is give them multiple f2 picks to convert their 6 late picks into more points with less picks. We end up with 24,35,36,65 this year after lions trade.
We start with 2 f1s and 3 f2s in 2023. potentially if we trade with suns then 3 f1s inside 10 plus McCabe next year. That’s a gamechanger and worth losing our first this year IMO.

Last edited:

Crows with Rankine & Max M and after this deal will have The pou. So it is quite likely they are not bottom 4 but more like 10-14, so even though it is F1, we would need better.

Either way, I would want MM to keep lines open with them and keep going the drum rolls of recruiting The Pou at 6.

Trading out of this top 10 or first round is madness. Why do you think clubs would offer these deals? And why would we go without another year of developing a gun talent right now??

Absolute madness.
Early in a rebuild we need to be open to deals that dramatically improve our hand we have no players to trade and essentially no draft capital that’s better than our ladder position so if a team are keen to pay way overs we have to consider it. Playing the long game.

Early in a rebuild we need to be open to deals that dramatically improve our hand we have no players to trade and essentially no draft capital that’s better than our ladder position so if a team are keen to pay way overs we have to consider it. Playing the long game.
We could have played the long game in 2005 and probably wouldn't have won the flag in 2008.
If you have a chance, you take it. If you've got a top-ten pick, you use it.
Whether it's Tsatas, Phillipou or Mackenzie we'll be getting a gun. You want to pass on that and delay our development just because next year's gun may be better?
Tyler said it right - Absolute madness.

We could have played the long game in 2005 and probably wouldn't have won the flag in 2008.
Whether it's Tsatas, Phillipou or Mackenzie we'll be getting a gun. You want to pass on that and delay our development just because next year's gun may be better?
In 2005, we took Xavier Ellis & Beau Dowler. As good as Ellis’ first quarter may have been, I’d not think he was the deciding factor in that 2008 GF.

It’s not the exact science you profess it to be and one example doesn’t mean it’s always that way. We are rebuilding we have limited ways to improve our hand we must consider all options that do that. I didn’t say trade out 6 if you actually read my post I used the word “consider” twice. I am circumspect with my language as I’m not a professional just proud passionate and paid up.

Trading out of this top 10 or first round is madness. Why do you think clubs would offer these deals? And why would we go without another year of developing a gun talent right now??

Absolute madness.
Agree only would happen if we could guarantee getting player we rated best like Mackenzie and the deal was too good to say no to. I think it is all talk and we will take pick 7. Can’t wait for it to be over!

Agree only would happen if we could guarantee getting player we rated best like Mackenzie and the deal was too good to say no to. I think it is all talk and we will take pick 7. Can’t wait for it to be over!
You can't guarantee anything if you are relying on other clubs to pick certain players for another 5 or so picks. Those clubs will pick who they believe is the best for them at each pick.

It's a quick way to become undone. Something Dodo would do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back