I was wrong about Chris Scott!

Remove this Banner Ad

A really amazing interview tonight on AFL360 with Chris Scott. He confessed he met with the senior players after the failed finals of last year and asked them point blank if they wanted him to continue coaching them. He said if any showed even a smidge of hesitancy in answering, he would have left the club. But he got overwhelming support from everyone, and as they say, the rest is history. I couldn't imagine any other senior coach doing that. My respect for Scotty went to another level after listening to him tonight. I think what makes him a great coach is his honesty and his relationships with the players.

To add one thing to what I said in another post above, I think it's no coincidence that the change in direction with Scotty and the coaching group happened after Steve Hocking took over as CEO. Hocking cleaned out the assistant coaching group and got new people in to help Chris. That was a big part of what happened.
yes I watched that as well, nothing but pure admiration after seeing that interview and his reaction caught on camera post Grand Final when he thought he was alone in a room. Speaks volumes about the mans character.

He seems to have evolved as a coach and as a person culminating in the ultimate prize in 2022 , so happy for him although it won't be about individual success in his eyes.
Scott is a highly skilled manager and strategist - we had the cattle this year to support more aggressive ball movement and he has delivered on that admirably.
Incredible how 3 finals wins and a flag this year turns his finals coaching record around - he is now 13 wins , 15 losses and 2 flags. He has bookended 2011 and 2022 - eerily familiar to Bellicek at the Patriots - a coach he has studied and been compared to :)

Our behaviour and culture is unbelievable and the envy of many - as supporters we get to bask in a bit of that glory :thumbsu:
Winners on and off the field - so proud :D

When Lions were somewhat competitive in the first qtr of the prelim I knew that Chris Scott wouldn’t allow it.

Chris Scott and the Cats are so likeable I didn’t even mind losing by 71 points.

Beating Sydney by 81 in the GF and seeing Chris Scott and the boys having a good time was the icing on the cake.

I don't apologize for being critical of him during the years he stubbornly persisted with a dud game plan despite all the evidence saying it doesn't win you flags.
See this is still a ridiculous claim. Like I will give you that you are technically right because we didn't win a flag with our control game. But a dud game plan doesn't get you to 14 points up at half time in a grand final, we were only a solid half away from winning a flag with that game plan and that was pre Cameron and the loss of Kelly.

There were 3 common players between our 2011 and 2022 flags (1 was Duncan who was a very young substitute). So he basically rebuilt the entire side between flags. And he did that whilst missing the finals once and rarely being out of contention.

No tanking, no high draft picks and most importantly no years of irrelevance when all we have to hang out hat on as supporters is the vague hope that we will be good again in 5 years.

No other coach in the league has done that, ever.

He is the best coach in the league. No doubt.
There's been one game in his entire coaching career that has not seen the Cats as finals-relevant at the opening bounce. Round 23 2015.

After 286 matches at the helm, that is way less than 0.5% of games he's coached that haven't seen the team in finals contention when the ball was bounced. A simply insane statistic, when you think about it. The supposed coaching guns of this generation in Clarko and Dimma wouldn't have numbers that remotely resemble that capability to stay in the mix, year after year.

And it's all just further evidence that those here who believe he suddenly 'worked out' how to coach again in 2022 seriously know much less about football than our coach has forgotten about the game across his years in charge.

#justplayfasterwhydontyou
#youknowitmakessense

we have been trying to move the ball quick for years. Do you actually believe this is a new thing??? just go and watch the finals series from 2020 to work this one out. Please watch the collingwood, brisbane and first half of the grand final to figure it out. When the clamps got put on us from the likes of richmond we simply well apart and couldnt pull it off.

Common sense would tell you the likes of close, stengle, Isac Smith, cameron, Holmes to an extent, Miers improvement, Atkins, Guthrie coming along, have had a huge say in this now going to the level it has in 2022.

The intent has been obvious for years to rebound the footy quick, what was lacking was the capacity under the pressure of sides such as richmond to pull it off.
100% this.
2022 was the perfect culmination. Perfect.

I think Scotty deserved the criticism he got at the end of the last three years when he persisted with that chip kick game that even the least knowledgeable footy fan could see didn't work in finals. Let's not forget last year we lost the prelim by 83 points.

I can remember how one year he dropped Stanley for the finals to play Blicavs in the ruck. He took our AA full-back out of position, and it ruined the balance of the backline and the team. So, to say he hasn't got to here without mistakes is just pandering to the sentiment of winning the flag.

But this year, he has been outstanding, which I agree with. The way he tackled the restructuring of the Coaching department at the end of last season and let fresh ideas come in and change the game plan at long last was overdue. But it took a lot of maturity from Scotty to do that. I understand that sometimes game plans depend on the cattle you've got to work with. The injection of speed on the wings especially played a big part in the evolution of how the Cats played this year. So I applaud Scotty for leading all of that.

I don't apologize for being critical of him during the years he stubbornly persisted with a dud game plan despite all the evidence saying it doesn't win you flags.
I love your posts, but we differ a lot re CS.
Last year there were significant reasons for our finals flops, and they have been well publicised and ridiculed, but facts are facts, and when your top tier players, possibly 10, all had gastro, and they're in a hub, I would have expected a shellacking.
If he previously "made mistakes", it's a similar explanation as to the reason we won this year- it's always a collaborative effort, with CS being the spokesperson.
We all see that everything came together this year, but CS was very strong in pouring praise on those who have left us- Scarlo, Knights and Boris, as significant contributors to our 2022 success.
CS has overseen the evolution of Atkins, DeK, Close, Guthries x2, Stengle, Bews, Kolo, Stewart, Stanley, Blicavs, Parfitt, Holmes, Miers.
Tuohy, JC, Danger, Smith, Rohan all had reputations before heading our way, but it took time for it all to work and meld together.
Only a visionary coach would have the confidence in his plan and the ability for it to come together, with the backing of the MC, and leadership group- remember, he was prepared to walk.
LUCK- we had none in 2021, yet were 40 points up at 3QT in our last h & a game v eventual premiers Demons.
Stanley could well be our barometer, and it is no secret that trying to get the best of Stanley has been a challenge, but here we are now having witnessed his GF game being better than any GF game Ottens has played for us, imho.
So, everything came together perfectly this year, but it is the product of years of prior work. Mistakes- no. Just the process that was needed.

but we differ a lot re CS.
That's cool. I'm just as happy as everyone else that we won the flag this year. I just don't buy people using this year's premiership to whitewash the mistakes of 2018-21. Maybe it was a grand plan by Scotty and Geelong, and it's easy to say that now it's worked. But getting to this premiership was a rough ride. Mistakes were made, and potentially a few years were wasted sticking to a game plan that didn't win finals. I'm not apologizing for being critical of that. But I've moved on about it. I can't wait to see how the Cats go next season when they take the position of the hunted.

That's cool. I'm just as happy as everyone else that we won the flag this year. I just don't buy people using this year's premiership to whitewash the mistakes of 2018-21. Maybe it was a grand plan by Scotty and Geelong, and it's easy to say that now it's worked. But getting to this premiership was a rough ride. Mistakes were made, and potentially a few years were wasted sticking to a game plan that didn't win finals. I'm not apologizing for being critical of that. But I've moved on about it. I can't wait to see how the Cats go next season when they take the position of the hunted.

I agree with you Blakey - and as you say we are all very happy/esctatic that the Cats are Premiers

I think the ones who are being unrealistic and totally unfair - are the ones who dont give Scott any credit for the 2011 flag - ie got gifted a talented team - thats just hogwash - a talented team that got utterly demolished in the 10 PF - so the 11 flag Scott deserves tremendous credit

Re the 2022 flag - 3 things happened for mine - Geel got Tyson Stengle - a very talented player - so he turned out to be a huge inclusion and a massive list improvement - there was no super team this year - Melb fell away badly - and thirdly Geel changed their game style significantly - no one on this forum knows who implemented it - if it was Chris Scott - then he deserves 1000% credit for doing it . Was it Steven Hocking - or any of the Assistant coaches - maybe Eddie Betts input - or they have all had a round table and decided this is the way to go - far more attacking and flexible . Someone will write a book one day on the Cats flag - and then everyone will be the wiser

But how Geel played this year - right throughout the year - and so enjoyable to watch with the fast ball movement - some make excuses re the gastro final - but go back 2 weeks before that - no excuses that night - that was a horrendous loss - because Port Ade are/were a rabble - and 2 weeks later the Dogs beat that rabble by 14 goals - yet they flogged Geel

And up until that point - that was a typical Geel finals loss - where as this year has been like a breathe of fresh air - Premiers - and playing a very attractive brand of football .From memory i think Scott Gullan wrote a book on Geel 07 flag - then if something similar is done on the 22 flag - then you would think there will be a Chapter on the change in game style

This year Scott has changed his support team who have made the environment a lot more pleasurable. As a consequence, he and the players look more at ease.

The game plan is much more attacking instead of the slow style we played before. This has been helped because of the quicker players that have come on. The bottom 6 have improved out of site and the reliance on the top players has been reduced.

Plenty of depth and momentum to build on. He is at the helm so takes the kudos. The status has changed but it does not mean he was doing a great job before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like when he dropped Stanley for a final agains the Pies and Grundy went berserk. That was far from fantastic. But certainly has improved over the years
Was that the same game the defence gave up 3 of the easiest goals i've ever seen??
lol. Gotta laugh when people think that move caused the loss. hehe:D

I agree with you Blakey - and as you say we are all very happy/esctatic that the Cats are Premiers

I think the ones who are being unrealistic and totally unfair - are the ones who dont give Scott any credit for the 2011 flag - ie got gifted a talented team - thats just hogwash - a talented team that got utterly demolished in the 10 PF - so the 11 flag Scott deserves tremendous credit

Re the 2022 flag - 3 things happened for mine - Geel got Tyson Stengle - a very talented player - so he turned out to be a huge inclusion and a massive list improvement - there was no super team this year - Melb fell away badly - and thirdly Geel changed their game style significantly - no one on this forum knows who implemented it - if it was Chris Scott - then he deserves 1000% credit for doing it . Was it Steven Hocking - or any of the Assistant coaches - maybe Eddie Betts input - or they have all had a round table and decided this is the way to go - far more attacking and flexible . Someone will write a book one day on the Cats flag - and then everyone will be the wiser

But how Geel played this year - right throughout the year - and so enjoyable to watch with the fast ball movement - some make excuses re the gastro final - but go back 2 weeks before that - no excuses that night - that was a horrendous loss - because Port Ade are/were a rabble - and 2 weeks later the Dogs beat that rabble by 14 goals - yet they flogged Geel

And up until that point - that was a typical Geel finals loss - where as this year has been like a breathe of fresh air - Premiers - and playing a very attractive brand of football .From memory i think Scott Gullan wrote a book on Geel 07 flag - then if something similar is done on the 22 flag - then you would think there will be a Chapter on the change in game style
You’re wrong about one thing… there was a super team this year. It was us, we were just all too petrified of our recent finals record to believe it!

Was that the same game the defence gave up 3 of the easiest goals i've ever seen??
lol. Gotta laugh when people think that move caused the loss. hehe:D
They took the AA full back out of defense to play ruck, and the whole backline became unstable hence the goals. So it did have a roll-on effect. It was an error by the MC. They should have played Stanley in that game.

They took the AA full back out of defense to play ruck, and the whole backline became unstable hence the goals. So it did have a roll-on effect. It was an error by the MC. They should have played Stanley in that game.
What when 2 players drop simple marks without any real pressure??
Sorry nah i don't buy that type of excuse... they were brain fades of the highest calibre.
Stanley was a yo yo and still is. We even debated whether he should play this year. Seems nothing changes.
On Grundy though. They say Grundy won/enfluenced the game game.
Funny enough he played twice as well vs the Giants in a Prelim and they fell short.
Players have to be held accountable. Plenty were below par in that game... well for at least 3/4 of it.
Cheers Bud.

Yes, we could always control it from defence through the years of great coaching and practise. The fundamentals were built. Unfortunately, we never had that connection from our running small forwards to assist a fast transition out of defence that would benefit our forwards. And even if we did have that movement, we never had THREE dangerous forwards (Rohan included) who could separate opponents in an empty forward 50 and win one on ones.

It all had to come together after years of recruiting, training, coaching and tweaking.

Now that the immediacy of the game is long past, do you think Scott and the coaching staff sat down at the start of the year and made their plans around Stengle kicking 50 goals, SDK doing what he did, Holmes, Atkins and Zuthrie having huge years and Stanley probably having his best season at the club? We can't forget Cameron being fully fit either.

I enjoyed this season more than I had for years because you could see we were different, you could see the massive improvement in younger players.

As others have already posted, I'm happy to say I was wrong this year but don't believe I was in others. The coached admitted himself that he needed to change and he did. Hats off to him.

You’re wrong about one thing… there was a super team this year. It was us, we were just all too petrified of our recent finals record to believe it!

I didn't want to believe it pre finals but we clearly were the best side this season - in retrospect I guess 13 in a row should have told us that and stretching that to 16 confirmed it. We cannot say that about recent tilts at the Flag , we were never the favourite until this season.

To win a Flag so much has to go right , importantly we went in healthy and were able to cover our only injury so kudos to the medical team who played a blinder this season.

Without picking our game plan apart too much my belief is our game between the arcs has improved out of sight and that has been a huge factor in our success.
Prior to this season we protected possession with slow, precise ball movement and relied on our forward pressure to lock it in - invariably this led to a crowded forwardline and made it tough to score. Steven May told my son in 2021 that they loved playing us as their defenders have heaps of time to set up and counter our forwards - I doubt he'd say that this season.

I think Scott has been tinkering with the balance between fast footy and controlled slower movement. The 2021 Adelaide game saw us move it too quick and we got burnt badly on the turnover. My frustration with us in the past has been an inability to keep the flow happening between the arcs which leads to turnovers or poor F50 entries. We then went back to slower movement and gradually tried to get the balance right.

A lot has changed this season but I think there are a few things that standout and enable us to play the way we now do - a cohesive team that structures up extremely well behind the ball and can move it with devastating speed and precision into the best forwardline in the competition. Simply put we know when to go quick and when to slow it down so much better now than before

Close and Miers are both pressure and endurance forwards who cover the entire field and enable better ball movement. Rohan and Cameron are also playing higher up the field. This is a big structural change as we no longer rely solely on trapping the footy inside F50

We are using Duncan , Tuohy and Smith who are fantastic ball users between the arcs - as a result we are making better decisions and turning the ball over far less than we did in the past

Stengle - the absolute icing on the cake this season. Incredible impact.

Backline - SDK superb and Kolo /Zuthrie lifting their games to complement Bews, Stewart and Henry. Incredible we now have several who can play the intercept role so who cares if Stewart is tagged?

Mids - Great finals series from this group. 50% of our GF score from clearances was superb.

Can't wait to see what we serve up in 2023 :)

Hey... just had to fact check. So Harris Andrews was the AA Full Back.
Blitz just made the 40 man squad with no AA Team selection.
Stewart, Danger & Tim Kelly were our only AA players in 2019.
C'mon buddy... lol

Too true.. Had a feeling it was all ours after the close Richmond win but after the 10 years prior it made me uncomfortable to feel Geelong optimism for the first time in a decade

Now that the immediacy of the game is long past, do you think Scott and the coaching staff sat down at the start of the year and made their plans around Stengle kicking 50 goals, SDK doing what he did, Holmes, Atkins and Zuthrie having huge years and Stanley probably having his best season at the club? We can't forget Cameron being fully fit either.

I enjoyed this season more than I had for years because you could see we were different, you could see the massive improvement in younger players.

As others have already posted, I'm happy to say I was wrong this year but don't believe I was in others. The coached admitted himself that he needed to change and he did. Hats off to him.
No, definitely not.

But one thing that seems to be interesting is Brad Close and Tyson Stengle - both had recent premiership wins in their pre-AFL careers.

I think there was some thought about stacking the side with winners, who didnt falter in the heat of finals.

I think that they had an idea of how they wanted to play (SDK getting to stay as FB even if he was pantsed), having a style of game plan where when they upped the ante, it didnt look vastly different to their normal play, a bit more movement of the ball instead of static play (Tuohy, Stewart and Smith to provide more run) and Blicavs on the wing.

This was not designed to win a premiership, rather to rejuvenate a mentally and physically tired team that kept hitting the same wall in the finals. It was a building block and a slight change of direction of the ship for future years.

What evolved during the season, and what they took advantage of because it worked for their style - was what won the premiership. This included seeing Blicavs start really being a spanner in the works for other teams in the midfield. Holmes start to be a jet on the wing. SDK holding his own and letting other players have some freedom. Zuthrie getting confident to cover Stewart's absense. Resting players in game for burst impact. Atkins taking on a midfield role as Danger was out for conditioning. Miers and Stengle and Close really connecting together. Understanding that the midfield team didnt have to be as vaunted as the Bulldogs or Melbourne to actually take control there (they used great defensive positioning, aggression, perfectly timed rests in games and almost a predatory mindset to hunt those teams). Cameron starting to roam up the ground and really confusing and overmatching opposition midfields and wingers, not to forget - and poor defender that went with him.

Then add the excellent medical and conditioning team input and getting the ideal injuries (time of rest) and when we got them. It sort of became a goldilocks things. ANd the more wins we had in a row, the less pressure was on the team and the more confident they were. They were getting feedback that the system was really working.

What I am excited at, is that this year was supposed to be the beginning of how we will go. It was not a last gasp - Selwood must win a premiership thing. No, this team will compete for quite a while and it's going to be awesome.

Well they didn’t, as Blicavs wasn’t the AA fullback and hasn’t been AA until this year.

And whether it worked or not it seems mind blowing to me that people can’t work this out:

It was a gamble. We are going to lose the ruck battle against Grundy no matter what. Why not put someone on him that can at least outrun him and pressure him in general play?

Did it work? No. That’s why it’s called a gamble, because it’s not always going to. Was it worth it to try and negate the most influential player on the field in some capacity? I think it was worth the risk

Well they didn’t, as Blicavs wasn’t the AA fullback and hasn’t been AA until this year.

And whether it worked or not it seems mind blowing to me that people can’t work this out:

It was a gamble. We are going to lose the ruck battle against Grundy no matter what. Why not put someone on him that can at least outrun him and pressure him in general play?

Did it work? No. That’s why it’s called a gamble, because it’s not always going to. Was it worth it to try and negate the most influential player on the field in some capacity? I think it was worth the risk
Hallelujah!!! Some one that actually understands. Thank u dear Lord.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back