I was wrong about Chris Scott!

Remove this Banner Ad

The next question that we all get to ask is - where to next. As supporters- We’ve all won in the end.

Is this team a good backbone for the future? Can it be rebuilt with this style while still contending? Will it evolve and become more draft focused?

That top 5 list of players from the GF shows us that the older players were instrumental. Who can step up and keep it going the same way?

I thought we should have kept him but didn’t honestly think this group had a year in them like this one. 👏🏻

Scott proved to me he is even a better coach than I thought. Not much better in the AFL. Z

Chris Scott - and Geelong in general - realised ahead of time how big a deal Free Agency is and how much it changes everything. No longer need to rebuild; can instead get senior players for cheap and surround youngsters with them and get finals experience into young players fast. Its a double edged sword because players can also leave, but build the culture and build the success and players for the most part will play.

A bit conflicted on this one, as I used to constructively criticise a bit. It seems the two things that I disliked the most changed this year though.

1. A more attacking game plan that didn't have us clamming up in finals
2. More prepared to play the kids - the irony being that it meant when the whips were cracking, the likes of Joel, Mitch and Rodney were cherry ripe to dominate.

I also found it interesting that he deliberately stopped his coaching box histrionics this year - in solidarity with players and umpires around the new dissent rules.

I never had a huge problem with it - he was blowing off steam and never carried the grudge into the post game press conferences - but I do wonder if it helped him to focus energy on the things he could control.

Chris Scott - and Geelong in general - realised ahead of time how big a deal Free Agency is and how much it changes everything. No longer need to rebuild; can instead get senior players for cheap and surround youngsters with them and get finals experience into young players fast. Its a double edged sword because players can also leave, but build the culture and build the success and players for the most part will play.
Yeah. I read an article recently that revealed something I didn't think about as much - and that is, often low numbered draft picks who have a couple of good seasons can command quite a bit of salary and if you have too many of them you can get a bit stuck.

Also it must be remembered that even top 10 picks are no guarantee of being a great player. Might be better to watch some top 30 picks for a couple of years at other teams and then try to trade one in that you like but believe ca nadd some improvement to.

I thought we may have needed a fresh voice, but always thought he was a quality coach, to get us back to this though is an amazing effort.

I do wonder though if Hocking coming in, he is more worried about premierships than finishing top 4 contributed?

But 2 flags 11 years apart there is without a shadow of a doubt now the fact that Chris Scott is a Geelong Legend!!!!

(Or as the Sunday Age have you believe Brad)

A bit conflicted on this one, as I used to constructively criticise a bit. It seems the two things that I disliked the most changed this year though.

1. A more attacking game plan that didn't have us clamming up in finals
2. More prepared to play the kids - the irony being that it meant when the whips were cracking, the likes of Joel, Mitch and Rodney were cherry ripe to dominate.

I also found it interesting that he deliberately stopped his coaching box histrionics this year - in solidarity with players and umpires around the new dissent rules.

I never had a huge problem with it - he was blowing off steam and never carried the grudge into the post game press conferences - but I do wonder if it helped him to focus energy on the things he could control.
Exactly my thoughts with point 1 and 2.

I think a lot of us wanted to see this happen and we can be glad it did!

Scott and his team have done an amazing job this year.

There were some serious issues in regards to getting the job done when it counted in the past, and I won't just forget everything and say my views on him were wrong because it all aligned this year.

Still feel like we have left one flag on the table in the last 10 years... but this one clearly eases and washes away plenty of the past anguish.

This year was just about perfect... Everyone at the club "especially CS" deserve plenty of credit for it.

Winning a flag brings massive relief...Even more so when we are so old and clearly went all in for a flag tilt in recent years before the window shut on us.

I am just proud for him. He obviously cares a lot. And I am sure all coaches care, but the way he is with his players and how he talks highly of the staff around him, he really truly does give a s**t. So regardless of his apparent talent or not, at the end of the day he seems like a great guy, and I am sure that is one of the reasons why the club has backed him in for so long.

I will always remember Scott going nuts and cheering when Menzel kicked his first goal after being out for so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was clearly the best he’s not just coached but managed the team. It was done with a sense of calmness that he’s not quite had in the past. I sense he was also more open to suggestion which again shows he’s grown as a coach. Good on him. You could never question his application or motivation. He thoroughly deserves to shake off the “2011 was coached on autopilot” monkey that’s been hanging over him.

I think Scotty deserved the criticism he got at the end of the last three years when he persisted with that chip kick game that even the least knowledgeable footy fan could see didn't work in finals. Let's not forget last year we lost the prelim by 83 points.

I can remember how one year he dropped Stanley for the finals to play Blicavs in the ruck. He took our AA full-back out of position, and it ruined the balance of the backline and the team. So, to say he hasn't got to here without mistakes is just pandering to the sentiment of winning the flag.

But this year, he has been outstanding, which I agree with. The way he tackled the restructuring of the Coaching department at the end of last season and let fresh ideas come in and change the game plan at long last was overdue. But it took a lot of maturity from Scotty to do that. I understand that sometimes game plans depend on the cattle you've got to work with. The injection of speed on the wings especially played a big part in the evolution of how the Cats played this year. So I applaud Scotty for leading all of that.

I don't apologize for being critical of him during the years he stubbornly persisted with a dud game plan despite all the evidence saying it doesn't win you flags.

Last edited:
I think Scotty deserved the criticism he got at the end of the last three years when he persisted with that chip kick game that even the least knowledgeable footy fan could see didn't work in finals. Although, it seems Fremantle hasn't got the memo yet. I can remember how one year he dropped Stanley for the finals to play Blicavs in the ruck. He took our AA full-back out of position, and it ruined the balance of the backline and the team. So, to say he hasn't got to here without mistakes is just pandering to the sentiment of winning the flag.

But this year, he has been outstanding, which I agree with. The way he tackled the restructuring of the Coaching department at the end of last season and let fresh ideas come in and change the game plan at long last was overdue. But it took a lot of maturity from Scotty to do that. I understand that sometimes game plans depend on the cattle you've got to work with. The injection of speed on the wings especially played a big part in the evolution of how the Cats played this year.

So I applaud Scotty for leading all of that. I don't apologize for being critical of the times I thought he was stubbornly persisting with a dud game plan despite all the evidence saying it doesn't win you flags.

He has made mistakes for sure. But did he have the players to do what was done this year? De Koning coming along faster than anyone anticipated and C Guthrie improving 1000% meant they could shift Blicavs out of defense. Stengle was huge, Close improved heaps, Holmes was great on the wing and Isaac Smith was back to his best, C Atkins exploded in the midfield. All of a sudden, they had more flexbility and more attacking power they didn't have previously. I am not saying that he shouldn't have tried something more, but ultimately the team is better this year than it was in the previous couple.

ultimately the team is better this year than it was in the previous couple.
I'm not arguing with that. I even say so in my post. Credit where credit is due. Scotty has done an outstanding job this season. But it's been a bumpy ride to get here. Let's not forget that. I've even heard Scotty admit in various interviews over the weekend he deserved the criticism sometimes.

I was wrong about Chris Scott. I thought he was arrogant, stubborn and did not learn from our mistakes. This year he was none of those things. To rebuild without throwing the baby out with the bath water in terms of game style has proven to be a stroke of genius. The way that we have constructed the spare, regardless of who it is was a decisive component of our eventual premiership win. Others will try to emulate the model but unless they have a Mark Blicavs coming through it may prove difficult.

I think Scotty deserved the criticism he got at the end of the last three years when he persisted with that chip kick game that even the least knowledgeable footy fan could see didn't work in finals. Let's not forget last year we lost the prelim by 83 points.

I can remember how one year he dropped Stanley for the finals to play Blicavs in the ruck. He took our AA full-back out of position, and it ruined the balance of the backline and the team. So, to say he hasn't got to here without mistakes is just pandering to the sentiment of winning the flag.

But this year, he has been outstanding, which I agree with. The way he tackled the restructuring of the Coaching department at the end of last season and let fresh ideas come in and change the game plan at long last was overdue. But it took a lot of maturity from Scotty to do that. I understand that sometimes game plans depend on the cattle you've got to work with. The injection of speed on the wings especially played a big part in the evolution of how the Cats played this year. So I applaud Scotty for leading all of that.

I don't apologize for being critical of him during the years he stubbornly persisted with a dud game plan despite all the evidence saying it doesn't win you flags.

Except it did.

Hawthorn played a control based game plan for massive chunks of the triple premiership run. The difference being they were better by foot and had three legitimately elite forwards. We were trying to do it with one, and less footskills in general.

Scott is an American Sports fanatic which I think played a part personally, he's going to the US yet again this off-season as well.

Through free-agency and such the ideology of rebuilding on the run and never bottoming out has been commonplace in American Sports for years...luckily we're the only ones who seem to have caught on and it's working brilliantly.

Scott is an American Sports fanatic which I think played a part personally, he's going to the US yet again this off-season as well.

Through free-agency and such the ideology of rebuilding on the run and never bottoming out has been commonplace in American Sports for years...luckily we're the only ones who seem to have caught on and it's working brilliantly.

I think Richmond are going to attempt to do it as well. They have been recruiting aggressively and have been quite good at picking up players in the draft for specific roles and having them do well. Its interesting how the team that is most likely to follow in Geelongs footsteps is the Tigers, which I am sure their supporters would absolutely love the comparison :p

I wasn't wrong about Chris Scott. ;)

Nor were those who really counted.

A really amazing interview tonight on AFL360 with Chris Scott. He confessed he met with the senior players after the failed finals of last year and asked them point blank if they wanted him to continue coaching them. He said if any showed even a smidge of hesitancy in answering, he would have left the club. But he got overwhelming support from everyone, and as they say, the rest is history. I couldn't imagine any other senior coach doing that. My respect for Scotty went to another level after listening to him tonight. I think what makes him a great coach is his honesty and his relationships with the players.

To add one thing to what I said in another post above, I think it's no coincidence that the change in direction with Scotty and the coaching group happened after Steve Hocking took over as CEO. Hocking cleaned out the assistant coaching group and got new people in to help Chris. That was a big part of what happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back