[ICC Cricket World Cup 2003] - Australia vs the Netherlands

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Discuss the upcoming Australia vs Netherlands game on this thread.

Australia will be resting Adam Gilchrist in this game, with Jimmy Maher chancing himself with the gloves yet again. A loss for Holland will be the end of the 2003 World Cup campaign, following early losses against India and England.

This day game will be played in Potchefstroom, but won't be aired at all on free to air TV.

Originally posted by GoEagles
Discuss the upcoming Australia vs Netherlands game on this thread.

Australia will be resting Adam Gilchrist in this game, with Jimmy Maher chancing himself with the gloves yet again. A loss for Bangladesh will be the end of the 2003 World Cup campaign, following early losses against India and England.

This day game will be played in Potchefstroom, but won't be aired at all on free to air TV.

Not that I'm being pedantic, but which two teams are playing? Aus, Holland or Bangladesh? And why would a loss to Bangaldesh end the tournament? Or would it merely dash Bangladesh's hopes, if that's what you call them?

Australia vs Holland, LIVE for those of us lucky enough to have Foxtel at 7pm. :D

This is a game which Australia should win quite easilly. The only thing which can save Holland from suffering a terrible thrashing in this game is the rain. (dare I say it after the other night!)

Holland have tried hard in their 2 matches so far in the World Cup but lack the experience and talent to compete against the stronger cricketing nations.

I am expecting an easy win to the Aussies in this one.

Where are the odds of a 2000-1 Holland win being offered? I know it sounds stupid but one or two dollars on Holland wouldn't hurt. Australia lost to Zimbabwe in 1983.

I'm a bit annoyed that Gilchrist is being rested. Sure give him a break from 'keeping duties, but he should play as a batsman. He's in my Fantasy Team and he would make a s-load of runs if we batted first. :mad:

I guess it will now be up to Hayden and Ponting to get huge scores. I hope we bat first, I don't have any Aussie bowlers in my Fantasy Team.

If we win the toss we had better bowl. Stuff this giving Martyn some time in the middle crap, that's what net practices are for.

Imagine we racked up 400, had them 7-19 after 10 overs and it was rained out - disaster.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
If we win the toss we had better bowl. Stuff this giving Martyn some time in the middle crap, that's what net practices are for.

Imagine we racked up 400, had them 7-19 after 10 overs and it was rained out - disaster.

There's nothing like spending time out in the middle. If you've ever played cricket before, you would realise it's completely different to having a hit in the nets.

And even if this match is washed out, it won't really matter to us.

Originally posted by Kenny_01
There's nothing like spending time out in the middle. If you've ever played cricket before, you would realise it's completely different to having a hit in the nets.

Agreed - but the result is far more important than getting a few batsmen into form. Besides, how much in technique and skill will be gained from flaying a few medium pacers around?

And even if this match is washed out, it won't really matter to us.

It could, because 1 point is carried across from each win against a side not in the Super Six.

I see this game as an easy win for us.

If Holland bat first, i expect it to be over very quickly, if the Aussies go in first tho, then us people on Pay TV will get our monies worth :D

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

There has been heaps of rain overnight and the pitch has a huge puddle in the middle of it. The have all sorts of things on the ground to dry out the ground... helicopters, hair dryers, etc etc. There was even talk of moving the pitch over a couple of wickets but have decided not to do that.

They were talking at the start of the day that it could be a 25 over match but things have improved and hopefully they'll be able to get a decent game in today.

Inspection to take place in around 35 minutes from now.

Originally posted by ScouseCat
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

There has been heaps of rain overnight and the pitch has a huge puddle in the middle of it. The have all sorts of things on the ground to dry out the ground... helicopters, hair dryers, etc etc. There was even talk of moving the pitch over a couple of wickets but have decided not to do that.

They were talking at the start of the day that it could be a 25 over match but things have improved and hopefully they'll be able to get a decent game in today.

Inspection to take place in around 35 minutes from now.

What a time for this to happen!!

I just turned on the TV and was wondering why the game hadnt started.... hope it does soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not exactly a flat track either, some of that naggy medium stuff that these guys serve up could nip about a bit. Martyn and Maher opening for us

Originally posted by Adrian Shelton
It's not exactly a flat track either, some of that naggy medium stuff that these guys serve up could nip about a bit. Martyn and Maher opening for us

Matthew Hayden was put back up to open with Jimmy Maher, probably because there could be a bit in the wicket early. Regardless of what is in the pitch for the Holland medium pacers, they still have to make whatever we make and I doubt very much they'll be able to do that.

Australia: 0 for 6 after 1 over.

Aus Team: JP Maher, ML Hayden, RT Ponting, DR Martyn, DS Lehmann, MG Bevan, A Symonds, IJ Harvey, AJ Bichel, JN Gillespie, GD McGrath. Must be a bit in the track as I though Gillespie was going to be rested too. CircInfo has Peter Willey as one of the unpires, but I thought he refused to go?? Can anyone with Fox confirm this.

willey is umpiring and noticed that the groundstaff forgot to put the white discs out that measure the catching position radius :rolleyes:

matthew hayden extremely lucky to survive an LBW shout, we would have been 1-7. they are bowling tight and our run rate would be after 6 overs the lowest for several years.

Originally posted by Perty4
Peter Willey has refused to umpire Aus vs Zimbabwe, which is our next game on monday.

He made that decision because he felt uncomfortable going to Zimbabwe after his country, England had boycotted going there.

Back to the game...

We now have a 44 over match.

Australia: 2 for 109 after 25 overs.

Not sure what will happen to our total after the Duckworth-Lewis method has been used. :confused:

Originally posted by ScouseCat
Not sure what will happen to our total after the Duckworth-Lewis method has been used. :confused:

Rain has stopped play yet again with Australia 2 for 123 after 28 overs. This is very frustrating to watch, probably even more frustrating if you were a player in a game like this. It cant be easy for players to go on and off the field like this.... hopefully the rain can clear so we can get a result from this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back