2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 15 South Africa v Netherlands 17/10 1900hrs @ HPCA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, beaten them at the T20 and now ODI WCs in the space of a year! Remarkable win. South Africa were coming in with red hot form, especially with the bat, and barely scraped to 200.
My spies are telling me that before the game, the South Africans were on a tomato soup only diet, in the hope that they wouldn't choke after what happened in the T20 World Cup. Worked a treat.........

South Africa clearly put very little planning in to this game. Scott Edwards is a great player of spin and he does it by sweeping the * out of everything. Since the last ODI World Cup he has the most runs and has attempted the most sweeps of anyone in ODI cricket yet has only been dismissed twice playing the shot with a strike rate playing it of 154.

So what they do is bowl mostly spin at him with barely anyone out on the legside. As a result of his 11 boundaries, 7 came from sweeps.

That's an absolute failure of planning. Even if they've never seen him play before (despite the fact he'd already played against South Africa 4 times previous to this) any sort of analyst could have found that information in 30 seconds.

Rain delaying start of game.

A washed out result, would be a huge helping hand to other main 5 contenders.
The actual result was better though.

Was kind of assuming at the time, South Africa would go on to win. But that loss last night for South Africa opens its up again.
I watched the entire thing and made myself exhausted after three in a row. Afg, Aust, Neth. Now I need a nap. I wonder if the students will allow me that luxury.

Have been told that Scott Edwards hopefully will be playing some T20 games for Blackburn South in the BHRDCA this season.Not sure about his plans for Premier Cricket are at the moment.
I grew up in Tonga, and he was born there. Tonga REPRESENT!!!

planet-of-the-apes-charlton-heston.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By my count the Dutch had three native South Africans in their team. Ackermann, Engelbrecht and van der Merwe. Nice one for them.

You are correct,born in Tonga raised in Australia.Not sure how he qualifies to play for Netherlands but presume his father was born there.
His grandfather was dutch and moved to New Zealand. His mother (old mate's daughter) went from NZ to Tonga for a short time and gave birth to him in Nuku'alofa. When he was very young they moved to Australia.

His grandfather was dutch and moved to New Zealand. His mother (old mate's daughter) went from NZ to Tonga for a short time and gave birth to him in Nuku'alofa. When he was very young they moved to Australia.
Potentially the best Aussie keeper bat at the world cup

Potentially the best Aussie keeper bat at the world cup
I googled Scott Edwards and at 27 years of a age is a great story but unable to get on this site unless some one else can.Only know the boy playing at local club Blackburn South CC.Perhaps can add captain mate looking at the current World Cup Captains.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back