2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 42 South Africa v Afghanistan 10/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

South Africa from, Temba Bavuma (c), Gerald Coetzee, Quinton de Kock, Reeza Hendricks, Marco Jansen, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen, Lizaad Williams.
Afghanistan from, Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Riaz Hassan, Rahmat Shah, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Ikram Alikhil, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Abdul Rahman, Naveen ul Haq.

Another opportunity to see how well SA chase before Aus play them in the semis.

Aussies got it easy by taking on Proteas, they couldn't even make 100 runns against us. In semis Proteas winning against Aussies will be bigger upset than Afghanistan beating England.

We just saw a review for a bump ball on a sweep shot to short fine leg. Given not out, but I have a question.

Hypothetically, the batsman sweeps the ball straight into the ground, but his sweep shot is so rapid that the end of his bat actually catches up to the ball after it's hit the ground, it hits the toe of the bat and is caught without bouncing again. Is it out caught?

We just saw a review for a bump ball on a sweep shot to short fine leg. Given not out, but I have a question.

Hypothetically, the batsman sweeps the ball straight into the ground, but his sweep shot is so rapid that the end of his bat actually catches up to the ball after it's hit the ground, it hits the toe of the bat and is caught without bouncing again. Is it out caught?
Im pretty sure they would go to the video review for that. In all likelihood the longer a catch takes to be determined by video review- the more unlikely the batter will be given out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but my question is about the second contact with the bat, after the ball has already bounced.
Pretty sure it would be out. I thought the same thing when I watched the replay.

Yes but my question is about the second contact with the bat, after the ball has already bounced.
I reckon based on your description it would be given not out. From MCC:

34.1 Out Hit the ball twice

The striker is out Hit the ball twice if, while the ball is in play, it strikes any part of his/her person or is struck by his/her bat and, before the ball has been touched by a fielder, the striker wilfully strikes it again with his/her bat or person, other than a hand not holding the bat, except for the sole purpose of guarding his/her wicket. See 34.3 and Law 37 (Obstructing the field).

34.1.2 For the purpose of this Law ‘struck’ or ‘strike’ shall include contact with the person of the striker.

34.1.3 This Law will apply whether or not No ball is called.

34.2 Not out Hit the ball twice

The striker will not be out under this Law if he/she

34.2.1 strikes the ball a second or subsequent time in order to return the ball to any fielder. Note, however, the provisions of Law 37.4 (Returning the ball to a fielder).

34.2.2 wilfully strikes the ball after it has touched a fielder. Note, however the provisions of Law 37.1 (Out Obstructing the field).

34.3 Ball lawfully struck more than once

The striker may, solely in order to guard his/her wicket and before the ball has been touched by a fielder, lawfully strike the ball a second or subsequent time with the bat, or with any part of his/her person other than a hand not holding the bat.

The striker may guard his/her wicket even if the delivery is a No ball. However, the striker may not prevent the ball from being caught by striking the ball more than once in defence of his/her wicket. See Law 37.3 (Obstructing a ball from being caught)

34.4 Runs permitted from ball lawfully struck more than once

When the ball is lawfully struck more than once, as permitted in 34.3, if the ball does not become dead for any reason, the umpire shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as the ball reaches the boundary or at the completion of the first run. However, he/she shall delay the call of Dead ball to allow the opportunity for a catch to be completed.

The umpire shall

- disallow all runs to the batting side

- return any not out batter to his/her original end

- signal No ball to the scorers if applicable.

- award any 5-run Penalty that is applicable except for Penalty runs under Law 28.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).

34.5 Bowler does not get credit

The bowler does not get credit for the wicket.

I reckon based on your description it would be given not out. From MCC:

34.1 Out Hit the ball twice

The striker is out Hit the ball twice if, while the ball is in play, it strikes any part of his/her person or is struck by his/her bat and, before the ball has been touched by a fielder, the striker wilfully strikes it again with his/her bat or person, other than a hand not holding the bat, except for the sole purpose of guarding his/her wicket. See 34.3 and Law 37 (Obstructing the field).

34.1.2 For the purpose of this Law ‘struck’ or ‘strike’ shall include contact with the person of the striker.

34.1.3 This Law will apply whether or not No ball is called.

34.2 Not out Hit the ball twice

The striker will not be out under this Law if he/she

34.2.1 strikes the ball a second or subsequent time in order to return the ball to any fielder. Note, however, the provisions of Law 37.4 (Returning the ball to a fielder).

34.2.2 wilfully strikes the ball after it has touched a fielder. Note, however the provisions of Law 37.1 (Out Obstructing the field).

34.3 Ball lawfully struck more than once

The striker may, solely in order to guard his/her wicket and before the ball has been touched by a fielder, lawfully strike the ball a second or subsequent time with the bat, or with any part of his/her person other than a hand not holding the bat.

The striker may guard his/her wicket even if the delivery is a No ball. However, the striker may not prevent the ball from being caught by striking the ball more than once in defence of his/her wicket. See Law 37.3 (Obstructing a ball from being caught)

34.4 Runs permitted from ball lawfully struck more than once

When the ball is lawfully struck more than once, as permitted in 34.3, if the ball does not become dead for any reason, the umpire shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as the ball reaches the boundary or at the completion of the first run. However, he/she shall delay the call of Dead ball to allow the opportunity for a catch to be completed.

The umpire shall

- disallow all runs to the batting side

- return any not out batter to his/her original end

- signal No ball to the scorers if applicable.

- award any 5-run Penalty that is applicable except for Penalty runs under Law 28.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).

34.5 Bowler does not get credit

The bowler does not get credit for the wicket.

Yes I'm comfortable that it wouldn't be out hit the ball twice... I was more wondering if it could be out caught?

245 won't be an easy chase for South Africa. India would chase this down at a canter but South Africa's issues in this World Cup have come batting 2nd so it'll be good to see how they go.

Yes I'm comfortable that it wouldn't be out hit the ball twice... I was more wondering if it could be out caught?
The key word in that MCC statement is 'wilfully' which is intent to score runs on that 2nd instance where the ball hits the bat.

From what I am reading if the intent of the batsman was to score runs on that 2nd hit (on the same ball) he can be given out.

If somehow and Ive never seen that situation, a ball brushes the bat twice in the same delivery, he could be given out - provided that the ball doesnt hit the ground on any instance during the particular delivery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back