2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Steve Smith, Alex Carey, Josh Inglis, Sean Abbott, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa, Mitchell Starc.
Afghanistan from, Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Riaz Hassan, Rahmat Shah, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Ikram Alikhil, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Abdul Rahman, Naveen ul Haq.

Wankhede seems to favour pace so we should get the job done here

Why aren't we boycotting this match like we did earlier in the year? Or are the human rights in Afghanistan ok now according to CA?

Because money from ICC tournaments doesn't go to the Taliban...

Last edited:
Why aren't we boycotting this match like we did earlier in the year? Or are the human rights in Afghanistan ok now according to CA?
Saw a quote that summed it up simply. A bilateral series in Australia is a CA endorsed series that provides money and status to the Afghan government, so it was boycotted. This is an ICC World Cup, boycotting here could propel them into the finals and provide the government with money and status. Bundling them from the World Cup is the best solution.

You can't say Australia isn't putting in the effort behind the scenes. The Afhgan women's cricket team is now based in Australia (as is their soccer team, apparently).

Saw a quote that summed it up simply. A bilateral series in Australia is a CA endorsed series that provides money and status to the Afghan government, so it was boycotted. This is an ICC World Cup, boycotting here could propel them into the finals and provide the government with money and status. Bundling them from the World Cup is the best solution.

You can't say Australia isn't putting in the effort behind the scenes. The Afhgan women's cricket team is now based in Australia (as is their soccer team, apparently).
I get that but Cricket Australia would never boycott on a series against India or England on human rights grounds. Rashid Khan could have also followed through on his threat boycott the BBL if he feels as strong as he does about Australia boycotting the series in Afghanistan earlier this year.

Hope Afghanis win. Love to see them in the semis. Interesting what they do if they win the toss. Bat first seems to be the go at wankhede. You get a twilight period where in the first 10 overs of the 2nd innings the ball tends to move around a bit. It's just before any dew sets in.

Hope Afghanis win. Love to see them in the semis. Interesting what they do if they win the toss. Bat first seems to be the go at wankhede. You get a twilight period where in the first 10 overs of the 2nd innings the ball tends to move around a bit. It's just before any dew sets in.
I placed a basic $5 win bet on the Melb Cup today (finished 4th, didn't win anything). Had a leftover 5 in my account, chucked it on the Afghans for the upset, @ $5.75. I think the Aussies will beat them but an upset isn't too crazy here tonight, but good luck my friends of Kabul!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with people being anti-Taliban and pro-human rights but the 11 guys that pull on the Afghanistan shirt are neither here nor there when it comes to that. Most cricket nations have had some form of governmental skullduggery operating in their homeland and it seems a case of picking and choosing which ones raise a response and which ones get ignored.

I’m glad to see the Afghanis doing well just as I’ll be glad to see their women’s team do well if they’re afforded the opportunity to do so.

I don't understand people who support countries playing against Australia. You can like them or wish them well but to actively barrack against your own team is weird (in my humble opinion).

From my perspective it’s simply a case that a) you didn’t have someone (a sibling, parent etc) preaching from the youngest years about how you ‘have to support your country.’ As a consequence I grew up liking a team that isn’t even a country. By the time I realised what delineates nations and their sporting teams, I couldn’t just ‘decide’ to go for Australia. B) its sport. It’s not war. As seriously as I take it, at the end of the day it’s two groups of blokes chucking a ball at each other.

I have no problem with people being anti-Taliban and pro-human rights but the 11 guys that pull on the Afghanistan shirt are neither here nor there when it comes to that. Most cricket nations have had some form of governmental skullduggery operating in their homeland and it seems a case of picking and choosing which ones raise a response and which ones get ignored.

I’m glad to see the Afghanis doing well just as I’ll be glad to see their women’s team do well if they’re afforded the opportunity to do so.
By that logic, we shouldn't have boycotted South Africa in the '80s because it wasn't the players' fault and the government wouldn't have had an incentive to dismantle apartheid. The Taliban isn't involved in a little 'governmental skullduggery', it's involved in active subjugation of women and human rights abuses. Sucks for the players, but I wouldn't be supporting any tours to this country in a bid for their government to gloss over its abuse.

By that logic, we shouldn't have boycotted South Africa in the '80s because it wasn't the players' fault and the government wouldn't have had an incentive to dismantle apartheid. The Taliban isn't involved in a little 'governmental skullduggery', it's involved in active subjugation of women and human rights abuses. Sucks for the players, but I wouldn't be supporting any tours to this country in a bid for their government to gloss over its abuse.
I think the difference between Afghanistan and South Africa is the place that sport holds in society in the respective countries. I doubt a ban would have the same punitive effect.

Yes, and using the logic that we SHOULD boycott the SA side, the WI, India and Pakistan should have boycotted Australia until the 70s, countries should have been boycotting Pakistan all along, probably India as well, and potentially Sri Lanka up until about 2000.

Where did I say I agreed with the ban on SA teams?

It’s either everyone or it’s no one, if it’s going to be fair.

Yes, and using the logic that we SHOULD boycott the SA side, the WI, India and Pakistan should have boycotted Australia until the 70s, countries should have been boycotting Pakistan all along, probably India as well, and potentially Sri Lanka up until about 2000.

Where did I say I agreed with the ban on SA teams?

It’s either everyone or it’s no one, if it’s going to be fair.
Every country has its issues but I think you would be struggling to find an contemporaneous equivalence to what the Taliban is doing in 2023.

It's a vexed issue, we should be boycotting countries like Saudi Arabia, not handing them the soccer World Cup, but just because we appear unable to apply it equally because of economic and political imbalances doesn't mean we should just ignore it everywhere. I'm not comfortable with the argument that since one country gets away with human rights abuses, we should just let them all go at it. Make the change where you can.

Every country has its issues but I think you would be struggling to find an contemporaneous equivalence to what the Taliban is doing in 2023.

It's a vexed issue, we should be boycotting countries like Saudi Arabia, not handing them the soccer World Cup, but just because we appear unable to apply it equally because of economic and political imbalances doesn't mean we should just ignore it everywhere. I'm not comfortable with the argument that since one country gets away with human rights abuses, we should just let them all go at it. Make the change where you can.

That’s the point. They’re either all at fault to the point of sanctions, or none of them are.
Tell a Christian in Pakistan that his tribulations are less than those faced by minorities in Afghanistan.

Who decides what is too much and what isnt

That’s the point. They’re either all at fault to the point of sanctions, or none of them are.
Tell a Christian in Pakistan that his tribulations are less than those faced by minorities in Afghanistan.

Who decides what is too much and what isnt
That's not my point at all. It's not a zero sum game.

As to who decides, like everything in life, it's up to the individual (person, sporting organisation of government). Saying it's all or nothing means no good can ever be done. If we apply sanctions against Afghanistan that achieve some good, but not against China, we've still achieved some good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back