2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 30 Afghanistan v Sri Lanka 1900hrs @ Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I agree an ODI World Cup requires more skill to win , I believe a T20 World Cup is more competitive and depth wise more stronger and now as we saw in last T20 World Cup, teams like: Namibia, Ireland, Zimbabwe can beat anyone on their day.

Im very much more looking forward to USA T20 World Cup 2024 and I believe more than every a dark horse might win it.

ODI requires : more game tactic awareness, more resilience, ability to adjust and play to a game situation, and to be better than your opponent over a longer period of a time.

I still enjoy each format ODI and T20 . But given we are living a more time savvy world, Im not sure if ODI cricket will necessarily catch on with todays younger ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will have to play well to beat Afghanistan
Underestimate them at your peril.

They have a path top the finals with Netherlands Australia and South Africa to close.

You'd expect them to beat Netherlands, then if beating us or south africa would put them on 10 points meaning we'd need to win at least ones of our closing games.

If we don't get the job done against England it becomes a pretty cut throat game. Or if we hit bad weather and have a washout it makes things tight.

Underestimate them at your peril.

They have a path top the finals with Netherlands Australia and South Africa to close.

You'd expect them to beat Netherlands, then if beating us or south africa would put them on 10 points meaning we'd need to win at least ones of our closing games.

If we don't get the job done against England it becomes a pretty cut throat game. Or if we hit bad weather and have a washout it makes things tight.

It’s true that Afghan are playing well but one thing our team is excellent at it’s front running and clubbing associates around.

Our paceman will be too good for their batsmen, expect we will try to bowl first and bundle them out early.

Imagine if on September 11 2001 someone had told you that just under twenty five years later Afghanistan would have three wins in a cricket World Cup that the West Indies didn't even qualify for?

And the Netherlands had twice as many wins as England after 6 games.

It’s true that Afghan are playing well but one thing our team is excellent at it’s front running and clubbing associates around.
I don't ever recall us losing a world cup game that we should have won comfortably... At least not since I started watching in the early 90s.

Even in the 1992 world cup we missed the semi finals but beat all the teams below us on the table.

I'm pretty sure every other nation has lost to a team that are either an associate nation or one of weaker teams.

I don't ever recall us losing a world cup game that we should have won comfortably... At least not since I started watching in the early 90s.

Even in the 1992 world cup we missed the semi finals but beat all the teams below us on the table.

I'm pretty sure every other nation has lost to a team that are either an associate nation or one of weaker teams.
Zimbabwe in 1983 is the obvious one.

Zimbabwe in 1983 is the obvious one.
Yep, just had a look through our results and that's the only genuine slip up we've ever had a world cup, which is a decent bit before my time..

Now wouldn't be a great time for #2, but it's extremely unlikely anyone is breaking into the top four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back