2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

There's enough time wasting and clock milking in cricket already. If this incident encourages players to be a bit snappy about getting to the crease, instead of milking every last second and finally deciding they're ready to face the bowler with seconds to spare, it'll be a good thing. Two minutes is plenty of time to get your act together and make sure your equipment is in order. Shakib may be a grub, but he's 100% in the right on this one.

More than anything, I'm just surprised the Timed Out dismissal has never happened before in international cricket...Thought it would of at least occurrred a couple of times like Handled Ball & Obstructing the Field

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now I think we are just waiting for a Hit The Ball Twice dismissal and the international cricket bingo card will be complete!

Oh snap... Anyone catch the Malta v Romania blockbuster in August?

This definitely is closer to the whole spirit of cricket argument as, unlike mankads or bairstows where they are legitimate dismissals that some have arbitrarily deemed "unsporting", this is actually something that could be resolved with an actual conversation with the opposition captain and umpire where a common sense consensus can be reached.

What I don't like is it places the umpires in a situation where all they can consider is the rules of the game, and have no option but to give the batsman out. I'm a stickler for the rules, I have no problems with Mankads or Bairstow's dismissal, but I think this is one rule that perhaps needs to be reviewed.

My comment at the time was it's amazing how much time batsmen waste throughout a day, and yet you can be dismissed in this fashion? Weird.

He was already over the 2 minutes when he was "ready to receive the ball", the 4th umpire confirmed it last night, they have a timer and he was over I trust their timer. The equipment malfunction is irrelevant he was over the limit before then. Why is he not out there ready in 50 seconds, stop dawdling talking to the last batsmen who was going as quick as Ranatunga off the field anyway.

The problem with this rule is the lack of consistency, I'm sure there have been other batsmen that have taken as long as Mathews or longer to get out on to the pitch and be ready to receive the ball but they weren't timed out as the umpires either ignored it or there was no appeal.

The problem with this rule is the lack of consistency, I'm sure there have been other batsmen that have taken as long as Mathews or longer to get out on to the pitch and be ready to receive the ball but they weren't timed out as the umpires either ignored it or there was no appeal.

Doesn't mean it's legal and the batsmen should get away with it. If anything about time a captain said enough is enough.

What I don't like is it places the umpires in a situation where all they can consider is the rules of the game, and have no option but to give the batsman out. I'm a stickler for the rules, I have no problems with Mankads or Bairstow's dismissal, but I think this is one rule that perhaps needs to be reviewed.

My comment at the time was it's amazing how much time batsmen waste throughout a day, and yet you can be dismissed in this fashion? Weird.
They should also crack down on the amount of time wasted by batting teams during the innings. There are five penalty runs for time-wasting in the rules, but it's the changing of gloves, constantly bringing out drinks, etc that slows the game down.

If it was me, I'd be giving teams (and umpires) a heads-up to read this rule.

41.10.1 It is unfair for a batter to waste time. In normal circumstances, the striker should always be ready to take strike when the bowler is ready to start his/her run-up.

Should either batter waste time by failing to meet this requirement, or in any other way, the following procedure shall be adopted. At the first instance, either before the bowler starts his/her run-up or when the ball becomes dead, as appropriate, the umpire shall
  • warn both batters and indicate that this is a first and final warning. This warning shall apply throughout the innings. The umpire shall so inform each incoming batter.
  • inform the other umpire of what has occurred.
  • inform the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of what has occurred.

41.10.3 If there is any further time wasting by any batter in that innings, the umpire shall, at the appropriate time while the ball is dead
  • award 5 Penalty runs to the fielding side.
  • inform the other umpire of the reason for this action.
  • inform the other batter, the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of what has occurred.

Didn't an Englishman or Aussie bloke get done for hit the ball twice against India way back?
That would be Len Hutton in a test against South Africa. He hit the ball twice but because that prevented the fielders from taking a catch it was given out as Obstructing the Field.

He was already over the 2 minutes when he was "ready to receive the ball", the 4th umpire confirmed it last night, they have a timer and he was over I trust their timer. The equipment malfunction is irrelevant he was over the limit before then. Why is he not out there ready in 50 seconds, stop dawdling talking to the last batsmen who was going as quick as Ranatunga off the field anyway.

No.
He was at the crease, with his bat standing on the pitch, he had momentarily lent it against his thigh pad while he adjusted the strap, on his helmet that was already on his head. This was done around 1:50 from when the catch was taken to dismiss the previous batsman.

You’ve clearly not bothered watching any of it, let alone timed it.

Doesn't mean it's legal and the batsmen should get away with it. If anything about time a captain said enough is enough.

About what? What are you even talking about mate? What are they ‘standing up to’?

Batsmen with contracts with helmet manufacturers whose straps break once every 500000 innings?

What are you even talking about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's enough time wasting and clock milking in cricket already. If this incident encourages players to be a bit snappy about getting to the crease, instead of milking every last second and finally deciding they're ready to face the bowler with seconds to spare, it'll be a good thing. Two minutes is plenty of time to get your act together and make sure your equipment is in order. Shakib may be a grub, but he's 100% in the right on this one.

How will this encourage anything of the sort?

Players aren’t going to watch this and go ‘oh well f**ken hell better check my pad buckles for structural damage before heading out to bat in case I get out there well and truly within the time limit and then it breaks.’

SL v Bangladesh 2023 WC match >>> 2023 Ashes.

Although not really a fan of the act, it would have been funny if we could have got Bairstow out that way on Saturday.

No.
He was at the crease, with his bat standing on the pitch, he had momentarily lent it against his thigh pad while he adjusted the strap, on his helmet that was already on his head. This was done around 1:50 from when the catch was taken to dismiss the previous batsman.

You’ve clearly not bothered watching any of it, let alone timed it.

I trust the 4th umpire he stated in the innings break he was over regardless of the strap thing, ended up being over 7 minutes too after all of it. The official timer is in the box and they relay the time to the central ump, if you heard the interview you’d have heard that. He should have made his way out quicker and he had options when it occurred anyway. Meh it’s hardly a big deal least it happened in a game that wasn’t important anyway. I’m glad it happened might make players away just how much time wasting goes on and I applaud captains for making them stick to the rules.

I trust the 4th umpire he stated in the innings break he was over regardless of the strap thing, ended up being over 7 minutes too after all of it. The official timer is in the box and they relay the time to the central ump, if you heard the interview you’d have heard that. He should have made his way out quicker and he had options when it occurred anyway. Meh it’s hardly a big deal least it happened in a game that wasn’t important anyway. I’m glad it happened might make players away just how much time wasting goes on and I applaud captains for making them stick to the rules.

The umpires may have been covering their arses by saying Mathews was over 2 minutes regardless of the helmet strap issue rather than admitting they got it wrong by allowing the appeal and causing more of an uproar about it. You can't always rely on umpires being truthful.

Also this game was still important in terms of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka qualifying for the Champions trophy, it wasn't just a dead rubber.

How will this encourage anything of the sort?

Players aren’t going to watch this and go ‘oh well f**ken hell better check my pad buckles for structural damage before heading out to bat in case I get out there well and truly within the time limit and then it breaks.’
If it happens again they might.

Fingers crossed more captains around the world have the gumption to follow Shakib's lead.

If it happens again they might.

Fingers crossed more captains around the world have the gumption to follow Shakib's lead.

Yeah I know I’m desperately hoping all players have the ‘gumption’ (translation: are a big enough bottom feeder) to try and dismiss players by citing factors completely out of their control.

Great notion and will really enhance the game.

Hopefully we can see afl players get suspended for things like boot studs breaking off and opponents falling on them later in the game.

Yeah I know I’m desperately hoping all players have the ‘gumption’ (translation: are a big enough bottom feeder) to try and dismiss players by citing factors completely out of their control.

Great notion and will really enhance the game.

Hopefully we can see afl players get suspended for things like boot studs breaking off and opponents falling on them later in the game.
We've already established the factors were in Mathews' control; there was no compulsion for him to bat with a helmet for his first ball. I note we are still waiting for a response to my question to you about keepers wearing helmets as opposed to batsmen. Looks like you surreptitiously dropped that line of argument when you realised how stupid it was.

I heard a lot of this "HOW DARE THEY" bleating when bowlers started running out the non-striker. For a while it almost never happened, then we had a handful of incidents along with a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but guess what? The non-striker pretty much always stays behind the crease these days where he belongs. One or two players get timed out for sauntering along, wasting time, and then finding out they're not ready to take strike after all and I guarantee they'll all stop carrying on.

I heard a lot of this "HOW DARE THEY" bleating when bowlers started running out the non-striker. For a while it almost never happened, then we had a handful of incidents along with a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but guess what? The non-striker pretty much always stays behind the crease these days where he belongs. One or two players get timed out for sauntering along, wasting time, and then finding out they're not ready to take strike after all and I guarantee they'll all stop carrying on.
Nailed it. Crucify one to educate a thousand.

We've already established the factors were in Mathews' control; there was no compulsion for him to bat with a helmet for his first ball. I note we are still waiting for a response to my question to you about keepers wearing helmets as opposed to batsmen. Looks like you surreptitiously dropped that line of argument when you realised how stupid it was.

Yeah sorry but you can’t dictate to a player whether he should wear a helmet or not. A wicketkeeper wouldn’t stand at the stumps without one, why the f**k should a batsman just because you don’t have the coping skills to wait the requisite 90 seconds for one of his teammates to bring him a functional one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back