2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 41 New Zealand v Sri Lanka 9/11 1900hrs @ M Chinnaswamy Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand from, Kane Williamson (c), Trent Boult, Mark Chapman, Devon Conway, Lockie Ferguson, Kyle Jamieson, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, Mitch Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Will Young.
Sri Lanka from, Kusal Mendis (c), Kusal Perera, Pathum Nissanka, Dushmantha Chameera, Dimuth Karunaratne, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Maheesh Theekshana, Dunith Wellalage, Kasun Rajitha, Angelo Mathews, Dilshan Madushanka, Dushan Hemantha, Chamika Karunaratne

Google says it's gonna rain the next 5 hours in Bengaluru. You'd think that would be it for NZ.

They lost last week due to rain even though Pakistan would have needed to pull off the second highest ODI chase ever.

Given how they 'lost' the last world cup, I'd have to ask what they did to God.

Google says it's gonna rain the next 5 hours in Bengaluru. You'd think that would be it for NZ.

They lost last week due to rain even though Pakistan would have needed to pull off the second highest ODI chase ever.

Given how they 'lost' the last world cup, I'd have to ask what they did to God.
I'd say they lost last week due to taking 1/200 off 25 overs.

Let's say if India meets Pakistan in the semi final of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup, and Pakistan somehow defeats India.
The mood throughout India would be like what happened to Brazil when they lost the 1950 FIFA World Cup to Uruguay-it will plunge the whole of India into national mourning, and there will be deep resentment towards Pakistan, both on and off the field.

I get that it’s as close as we will get to a fair system given the absurdity of what has happened with rain rules in the past but it still hurts the team batting first and they copped it again this time around.
Can you find anything that says what percentage of teams win batting second in DLS effected matches? Because I can only find a journal article from 2015 that says the team batting first wins 64% of the time and an article in the Roar from 2017 that says the team batting 2nd wins 60%. Both of which don't seem greatly researched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you find anything that says what percentage of teams win batting second in DLS effected matches? Because I can only find a journal article from 2015 that says the team batting first wins 64% of the time and an article in the Roar from 2017 that says the team batting 2nd wins 60%. Both of which don't seem greatly researched.

Would not have a clue.
For all I know it could be 99 per cent of the time the team batting first gets favoured.

But the definitive metric would be the amount of times the team batting first doesn’t have an interruption and wins.

If they play out 50 overs and do so under the assumption that they are not going to lose any, they will bat normally with the aim of batting out those 50 overs and structure their innings accordingly.

The beauty of D/L is that for the team batting second they don’t just have to match the other team’s score by the same point etc etc - the system as I said is as good as it is going to get because it factors in wickets lost, wickets available, runs scored, overs left, overs gone, everything.

But the team batting second will ALWAYS have the equation in front of them as to what they need to do.
That is true of any run chase rain impacted or not, but when the time gets restricted and one side has to maintain the rage for 25 overs not 50, it’s hard not to feel for the defending team.

Let's say if India meets Pakistan in the semi final of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup, and Pakistan somehow defeats India.
The mood throughout India would be like what happened to Brazil when they lost the 1950 FIFA World Cup to Uruguay-it will plunge the whole of India into national mourning, and there will be deep resentment towards Pakistan, both on and off the field.
If that was to happen, the other two finalists may need to forfeit then get out of Dodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back