2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming no issue with his hat hitting the rope?

I was incredibly surprised the other day when a fielders hat came off and landed over the ball that 5 penalty runs weren’t awarded

Wasn’t aware the rule had changed to deliberately throwing clothing at the ball

I think LukeParkerno1 is more commenting on the relative absence of urgency to get a replacement helmet out there pronto, or, better, find a way to face up without a helmet against a spinner for at least a ball.

By extension, it quite regularly seems batsmen get to play the game at the pace of their choosing. So much so that the other night when Travis Head was rushing through his overs, the commentators were saying how the batsmen should be pulling away and making him wait. That is not in the rules (or the spirit) of the game! And it should not be normalised as being OK, no matter how rushed the batsman feels.

Exactly honestly batsmen get away with so much of this rubbish, and not facing up when a bowler is ready annoys me to no end. Then the bowling side has to rush through, and in test matches you run the risk of point penalties in WTC.

Does the timer not stop for things like batsmen changing gloves, helmets etc?

I'm 99.9% positive it stops for concussion tests but not sure about the above...
Yeah I genuinely have no idea about how that timer works. The first innings regularly seems to go for 4 hours, so I have no idea how they decide when time is up or whatever.

It's a joke regardless... Cricket games should not be taking so long to complete... Tests, one dayers, T20s whatever.

What was Johnny Bairstow trying to get away with? 🤷‍♂️

Rules are rules.
You'd better ask the poster I quoted that question, who said "batsmen thinking they can get away with everything".

I was simply asking how that applied to Mathews in this instance.

Plus the sign of the cross and then get yourself set after that.

It's 90 seconds in some T20 competitions and they can do that easily.

Pretty sure it’s all t20 comps now but your point is correct

I was incredibly surprised the other day when a fielders hat came off and landed over the ball that 5 penalty runs weren’t awarded

Eh? How does the rule apply now then when the ball hits a stationary helmet behind the keeper?

I wondered about that too.

This seems to cover it though:
28.2.2 It is not illegal fielding if the ball in play makes contact with a piece of clothing, equipment or any other object which has accidentally fallen from the fielder’s person, or been dropped by an umpire.

Ok well you can let all the wicket keepers know about that before they immediately put a helmet on to stand further back than the batsmen do, in order to not even run the risk of a top edge into their face.
Who do you think is more likely to cop a ball in the face when a spinner is bowling? The batsman or the keeper?

Next ashes - when an Englishman is going out to bat - send a just stop oil protestor to them so they can be carried off - and new batsman gets timed out for not being ready to face on time
I’d rather the batsman stay in and stink it up and bring us more laughs… and they do love playing together on the Titanic deck chairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting the ump said he was already timed out before the ball was bowled

Would love to know the stats of players who fall foul of that rule

By the time you walk from the changerooms to the middle, take guard, chat to your partner and assess the field - reckon most blokes wouldn’t make it

Interesting the ump said he was already timed out before the ball was bowled

Would love to know the stats of players who fall foul of that rule

By the time you walk from the changerooms to the middle, take guard, chat to your partner and assess the field - reckon most blokes wouldn’t make it
Would love somebody to do a forensic video on this and show us if there is any real hypocrisy

Eh? How does the rule apply now then when the ball hits a stationary helmet behind the keeper?

Read the rule below - it hasn’t fallen from a fielder - so it’s still a penalty

Guess if short leg runs after the ball and the helmet bobbles off and hits the ball - then it’s no penalty

On another note - cricket really does love using subjective language in the rules

The mankad rule would be so much easier if they simply said when the front foot landed instead of the current state of play

Timed out uses “ready to receive the ball” - surely there is something more objective - like getting to the pitch

If someone drags out a couple of minutes after getting to the middle before the first ball - it’s really no different to doing it after 10 balls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back