2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, I always thought it was getting on to the ground. Would have been handy on Saturday, could have timed out the opening batsman, although I’m guessing it doesn’t affect openers, Davey Warner and Matthew Hayden would have been timed out every game…

Yep - same

But they did say the WC have rules that supersede MCC rules

It’s funny to see people who just a few months ago said a wickets a wicket if within the law of the game are now suddenly calling on the spirit of cricket and calling players grubs for appealing…

I have no problem with the timed out decision.

It isn't too much to expect an incoming batsmen to come out with the correct equipment.

Good on Bangladesh.

Rules are rules, don't use an old helmet.
Bangladesh are looking good for the chase, according to cricinfo so far Shakib has hit 41 off 21 balls from Matthews :)

Last edited:
Sri Lanka had lost a wicket after a 60 odd run stand when Mathews came in. Some momentum for Bangladesh that is.

Mathews - "Oh, we've lost a wicket, I'd better stop that momentum by having a strap on my helmet break and hold up play".

Suuuuuuure.
All he had to do was either face a ball, or ask the bowler can I replace it? The arrogance of him just walking off to replace it, is against the so called spirit of cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shakib POTM with 82 & 2-57 and a great post match interview.

"One of our fielders came to me and said that if I appealed, he would be out. The umpire asked me if I was serious. It's in the laws; I don't know if it's right or wrong. I felt like I was at war. Whatever I had to do, I did it. There will be debates. Today that (the time out) helped, I won't deny that!"

An awkward moment made worse by the umpires who let Mathews stay on the ground trying to plead his case when they should have sent him off as quickly as possible.

He wasn’t slow and lazy getting out there genius. He passed the departing batsman on the field, he went to mark guard, adjusted his helmet strap and it broke.

Maybe watch what you’re commenting on.

I'll freely admit I haven't seen it in full, but the 4th umpire was just on Foxsports and said that he'd already breached the time (2 minutes apparently in this tournament) before the issue with the strap.

I just hope the broadcasters turn the stump mikes up to 11 when Shakib comes out to bat against Australia. Or maybe just mike up Davey Warner. The sledging will be delicious.

Angelo Matthews was clearly ready to "receive the ball" and was waiting for Shakib to make changes to his field placements before the helmet strapping broke. (Can be clearly seen in the photo above - Matthews at the strikers end, Shakib pointing to the 3rd man area).

Pathetic appeal.

I just hope the broadcasters turn the stump mikes up to 11 when Shakib comes out to bat against Australia. Or maybe just mike up Davey Warner. The sledging will be delicious.

Angelo Matthews was clearly ready to "receive the ball" and was waiting for Shakib to make changes to his field placements before the helmet strapping broke. (Can be clearly seen in the photo above - Matthews at the strikers end, Shakib pointing to the 3rd man area).

Pathetic appeal.

He was already over the 2 minutes when he was "ready to receive the ball", the 4th umpire confirmed it last night, they have a timer and he was over I trust their timer. The equipment malfunction is irrelevant he was over the limit before then. Why is he not out there ready in 50 seconds, stop dawdling talking to the last batsmen who was going as quick as Ranatunga off the field anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back