2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 46 First Semi Final India v New Zealand 15/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

India from, Rohit Sharma (c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ishan Kishan, Prasidh Krishna, Suryakumar Yadav.
New Zealand from, Kane Williamson (c), Trent Boult, Mark Chapman, Devon Conway, Lockie Ferguson, Kyle Jamieson, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, Mitch Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Will Young.

India have looked really solid throughout this tournament, and despite New Zealand's relatively strong record in World Cups, you'd expect India to win this one comfortably.

NZ are the worst opponent for India but yep India should win let’s be real they are winning the whole thing easily

IMO to beat India you have to go after one of their bowlers. They only play 5 bowlers with Hardik out so if you attack one they will still have to bowl their 10 overs.

Additionally how will India deal with the pressure of being the clear favourites at home, against their bogey side.

India should win but NZ will definitely be competitive and I wouldn't be surprised if they caused one of the all time upsets

IMO to beat India you have to go after one of their bowlers. They only play 5 bowlers with Hardik out so if you attack one they will still have to bowl their 10 overs.

Additionally how will India deal with the pressure of being the clear favourites at home, against their bogey side.

India should win but NZ will definitely be competitive and I wouldn't be surprised if they caused one of the all time upsets

You need to be no more than 1 down after the Powerplay too, India's spinnners are outstanding but they are even harder to play if you are 2-3 down for nothing after 10.

Do NZ have their squad available now or is Neesham still out?

I feel like Australia will struggle in the middle overs against their spinners in particular: Jadeja and Kuldeep Yadav.

This might be a bit horses for courses here, but Cam Green played many games for the Mumbai Indians here in IPL 2023, could Australia spring a surprise on Thursday and select him over Labuschagne/Stoinis?

I feel like Australia will struggle in the middle overs against their spinners in particular: Jadeja and Kuldeep Yadav.

This might be a bit horses for courses here, but Cam Green played many games for the Mumbai Indians here in IPL 2023, could Australia spring a surprise on Thursday and select him over Labuschagne/Stoinis?

I’ll just be happy if Stoinis is out couldn’t care less who comes in

NZ are the worst opponent for India but yep India should win let’s be real they are winning the whole thing easily
Is India a bigger favourite than the Windies were in 1983? Red hot favourites do lose occasionally, and the weight of expectation from the home fans will be huge on Wednesday night - how will the players handle it?

Is India a bigger favourite than the Windies were in 1983? Red hot favourites do lose occasionally, and the weight of expectation from the home fans will be huge on Wednesday night - how will the players handle it?

Have to say I wouldn't have the slightest clue with the 83 World Cup bit before I really followed limited overs cricket

Have to say I wouldn't have the slightest clue with the 83 World Cup bit before I really followed limited overs cricket
Well the Windies had won the first two World Cups, and few people thought India would prevent a hat trick. But runs in a final are critical, and despite India posting only 183, it proved to be more than enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the Windies had won the first two World Cups, and few people thought India would prevent a hat trick. But runs in a final are critical, and despite India posting only 183, it proved to be more than enough.

Take your word for it, this Indian side reminds me a lot of our 2003 side or 2007 one. There’s no weaknesses. Gun batting lineup, best spinners in the world and the best 3 quicks.

Take your word for it, this Indian side reminds me a lot of our 2003 side or 2007 one. There’s no weaknesses. Gun batting lineup, best spinners in the world and the best 3 quicks.
Let's just hope that if we get to the final and win the toss, we don't do what India did in 2003, and choose to bowl first, because we're not chasing down 300+ in a World Cup final.

Let's just hope that if we get to the final and win the toss, we don't do what India did in 2003, and choose to bowl first, because we're not chasing down 300+ in a World Cup final.

Do you want India chasing with Virat there? That's probably an even bigger risk!

Do you want India chasing with Virat there? That's probably an even bigger risk!
We'll see - he's just as human as the rest of us, so I don't think he's immune to pressure. 242 wasn't a big target in the 2019 final, but it was nearly enough!!!

We'll see - he's just as human as the rest of us, so I don't think he's immune to pressure. 242 wasn't a big target in the 2019 final, but it was nearly enough!!!

You'll need 100 more in these conditions.

Obviously you’d back India but I feel like New Zealand are the perfect opponent here. They’re such a well balanced side and they so rarely crack under pressure. If there’s any hint of a choke from the Indians they’ll jump all over it.

That being said we might see a day five pitch get prepared and NZ just won’t have the cattle to match it.

1983 was different though, it's hard to compare scores like that from 40 years ago. Whilst it was on the lower end of the scores from that WC, it definitely was not the worse

There is definitely weaknesses in the Indian side. The lack of the 6th bowler, the reliance on Rohit to start quickly. I worry for the day that it does not go to plan and hope in hell it doesn't happen this week

1983 was different though, it's hard to compare scores like that from 40 years ago. Whilst it was on the lower end of the scores from that WC, it definitely was not the worse
But whatever the winning score is in a World Cup final, there's pressure on the team chasing - especially if they lose a couple of early wickets. There will always be World Cup favourites, but there's no such thing as a World Cup certainty.

There is definitely weaknesses in the Indian side. The lack of the 6th bowler, the reliance on Rohit to start quickly. I worry for the day that it does not go to plan and hope in hell it doesn't happen this week

You don’t need a 6th bowler and Gill’s pies weren’t bad anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back