2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

And for all this emotional rhetoric and swearing I highly rate all knocks mentioned, but the reasons I've stated are why I think it's more than reasonable to rate Maxwell's closer to top of the tree than Sharma's. You disagree. Good on you mate, I'd rather soak in the knock rather than be combative over semantics.

No, I don’t disagree.

Find for me where I said any of Sharma’s innings’ were as good as Maxwell’s.

Maxwell isn't a great player....but that was a great innings. It won't be long until you will see a 300 scored in odi cricket...but you might not ever see a guy chase 300 essentially off his own bat, unable to run.

It was a special innings. It was what the WC needed tbh - it will be an innings talked about 50 years from now....how many Australian ODI hundreds do we talk about these days?

Ponting's 100 in the 2003 WC, Gilly in 2007?

Symo's 100 in 2003 v Pakistan I remember like yesterday.

Bevan's hundred v NZ at the MCG in 2001 to take us home....Watson's blitzkrieg at the MCG in 2011 v England.

Lots of ODI tons just fade into irrelevance bar the odd one....as listed above.

Maxwell's name is now entrenched on that list.
You are joking Maxwell is not a great player.lol.One of the best players to play 1 Day/T20 cricket.Great fieldsman,handy spin bowler and batting wise has to bat in the last few overs where he is expected to play the big shots.As for test cricket and only playing 6 tests just wasted talent but the ACB wanted him to focus on white ball cricket.Hardly played any shield games in the last 5 years but always remember him scoring 280 odd about 10 years ago.Has a test 100 in India but never played test cricket in Australia which is a shame.

Last edited:
You can reduce any activity to its most basic components in order to minimize its power over or importance to people. Ballet is basically a bunch of skinny women and a man or two leaping about a stage. Opera is a lot of fat men and women squawking in a language most of us don't understand. Playing a violin is simply someone dragging a stick over some string made from cat gut.

I don't agree. I'm not saying you can't barrack for the team opposing your country but it is highly unusual and calls for some sort of an explanation in my view just as someone supporting another family's kids in a contest with your own would strike most people as slightly problematic and strange to say the least.
phatty probably has a wardrobe full of Che t-shirts too. I suspect he is the apocryphal "Red" under our beds!

When people compare the % of runs for an innings, what's been overlooked is he actually scored 82% of our runs during the time he was at the crease - 201 out of the 244 runs scored, of which 13 came from extras - Labs 9, Stoinis 6, Starc 3, Cummins 12*.

Not to denigrate Viv and Kapil Dev's two innings where they rescued their teams, but coming in with their team on 11 and 9, respectively, that figure doesn't move much from their % of the entire total. Whilst we were struggling, Maxwell coming in with the score on 49 does change that calculation quite a lot for his innings.
Good point.

You are joking Maxwell is not a great player.lol.One of the best players to play 1 Day/T20 cricket.Great fieldsman,handy spin bowler and batting wise has to bat in the last few overs where he is expected to play the big shots.As for test cricket and only playing 6 tests just wasted talent but the ACB wanted him to focus on white ball cricket.Hardly played any shield games in the last 5 years but always remember him scoring 280 odd about 10 years ago.Has a test 100 in India but never played test cricket in Australia which is a shame.
He also played those tests exclusively in Australian batting collapses, batting in every position from opener to 7, and every test away which you metioned.

He also played those tests exclusively in Australian batting collapses, batting in every position from opener to 7, and every test away which you metioned.
A pity Maxwell broke his leg as it seems he might have been selected for the India test series earlier in the year and could have been very handy with his spin bowling and fielding.As for his future in red ball cricket would love to see him play a test in Australia but we have no records to look at in shield or red ball cricket over the last 4 years so he sadly misses out again.

He is a genuine card carrying knobtosser. Absolute piece of crap. Whenever there is a slight misfield off his bowling he tantrums like a four year old screaming at the fielder. When he misfields, it's all "What are YOU looking at?"

you have just described every bowler I have ever played with? or is knobtosser supposed to be slang for bowler now?

When people compare the % of runs for an innings, what's been overlooked is he actually scored 82% of our runs during the time he was at the crease - 201 out of the 244 runs scored, of which 13 came from extras - Labs 9, Stoinis 6, Starc 3, Cummins 12*.

Not to denigrate Viv and Kapil Dev's two innings where they rescued their teams, but coming in with their team on 11 and 9, respectively, that figure doesn't move much from their % of the entire total. Whilst we were struggling, Maxwell coming in with the score on 49 does change that calculation quite a lot for his innings.
Sorry, I can't think of everything. ;)

Richards - 189 out of 261 = 72.41%
Kapil - 175 out of 257 = 68.09%

I actually AM a Maxwell fan. As a cricketer and a bloke I like him.

There’s no metric beyond strike rate with which you could use to describe him as a ‘great player’ though.

He is a genuine card carrying knobtosser. Absolute piece of crap. Whenever there is a slight misfield off his bowling he tantrums like a four year old screaming at the fielder. When he misfields, it's all "What are YOU looking at?"
Sounds a bit like the recently retired SCJ Broad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually AM a Maxwell fan. As a cricketer and a bloke I like him.

There’s no metric beyond strike rate with which you could use to describe him as a ‘great player’ though.
Where Maxwell bats in the order Strike Rate is important and he has the highest.Average wise in 1 day cricket for Australia Maxwell averages 35.70.Of the players in this squad Warner 45.62,Smith 43.46,Head 41.20,Labuschange 37.00 and M.Marsh 34.44.The interesting one I noticed was Bevan who batted in the middle order averaging mid 40,s.

Where Maxwell bats in the order Strike Rate is important and he has the highest.Average wise in 1 day cricket for Australia Maxwell averages 35.70.Of the players in this squad Warner 45.62,Smith 43.46,Head 41.20,Labuschange 37.00 and M.Marsh 34.44.The interesting one I noticed was Bevan who batted in the middle order averaging mid 40,s.

Absolutely it’s important and his strike rate is what makes him a player of great innings, not a great player.

For a comparison, he and ABDV have played 40-odd innings each batting at #5. (Yes I realise Maxwell batted 6 the other night and that seems to be his spot now). At 5, ABDV had a strike rate of 110 and an average of 78, with 6 centuries and 11 half centuries (40 innings)
Maxwell has a strike rate of 125 and an average of 38 with one century and 8 50s (42 innings).

One is a great player, one is a very good one who can do great things.

you have just described every bowler I have ever played with? or is knobtosser supposed to be slang for bowler now?
No he is worse than almost every bowler who has ever played the game. And he probably has the most pickable wrongun in the game. I can't believe the jizzing commentators have over his wrongun.

If you watch him, he ducks his head like a selwood on steroids when he's bowling anyway, but with the wrongun he really throws it down. He just puts it down for the leggie.

No he is worse than almost every bowler who has ever played the game. And he probably has the most pickable wrongun in the game. I can't believe the jizzing commentators have over his wrongun.

If you watch him, he ducks his head like a selwood on steroids when he's bowling anyway, but with the wrongun he really throws it down. He just puts it down for the leggie.

Just amazing isn’t it how a guy with very little general knowledge of the game on a cricket forum seems to get it right every time watching on a tv screen from behind the bowler’s arm but the best batsmen on the planet don’t find it as unerringly easy to a) pick and b) play.

Yeah but not a great of the game 🙄

He’s not. Kusal Perera and Kyle Mayers both within the last 5 years have played innings that deserve to be in the discussion as the best test knocks ever played. Mayers has won his team other test matches with the ball as well.

Who is going to run out and call them greats of the game? Learn the difference

This serious? 7 down, Maxwell going berserk, and not being able to run, Cummins read the room brilliantly and made sure he didn't get out. He could see Maxwell was getting the runs on his own. If Cummins went out the whole thing could quickly tumble. His effort is completely underestimated.
Cummins has played some pretty amazing innings this year.

Got us home in the First Ashes Test.

Perfect foil for Maxwell in this match.

Was out in the middle when the winning runs were hit for two impressive wins.

Glad he has found his groove with the bat, which seemed to have abandoned him for such a long time before this year.

Cummins has played some pretty amazing innings this year.

Got us home in the First Ashes Test.

Perfect foil for Maxwell in this match.

Was out in the middle when the winning runs were hit for two impressive wins.

Glad he has found his groove with the bat, which seemed to have abandoned him for such a long time before this year.
He also hit a 14 ball fifty in the IPL so he has both modes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back