2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Richards 189* out of 9-272. 69.48% of runs. WI were 7-102 at one stage.
Next highest score 26. Two double figure scores apart from Richards.
Extras 10. Other batsmen combined 73.
Major partnership 106*, for the last wicket, of which Holding contributed 12.

Kapil Dev 175* out of 8-266. 65.78% of runs. India were 5-17, and 7-78 at different stages.
Next highest score Kirmani 24*. Three double figure scores apart from Kapil.
Extras 12. Other batsmen combined 79.
Major partnership 126*, for the 9th wicket, of which Kirmani contributed 24.

Maxwell 201* out of 7-293. 68.60% of runs. Australia were 7-91 at one stage.
Next highest score Marsh 24. Four double figure scores apart from Maxwell.
Extras 15. Other batsmen combined 77.
Major partnership 201*, for the 8th wicket, of which Cummins contributed 12.

Each of the three knocks had quite similar characteristics.

Am I right in saying Richards and Kapil both batted first? And both were in England (where the weather was cooler).

I think what makes Maxwell's innings so impressive is that he was so clearly hampered by cramp, and towards the end was just swiping at the ball without any kind of footwork. He must have terrific eyesight and really strong wrists/forearms.

Good luck trying to name a better one

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's probably the most troll food post I've ever seen, now the stupid f**king c**t is going to reply. Just block the imbecile. An incredibly stupid stupid cretin who is probably at this exact moment wondering what country this India place he keeps hearing about is in.

Pretty sure it dropped as low as 0.5% which is as low as it will go until it's impossible.
It lowest point in the match was 0.21% when Afghanistan was 99.79%

385559684_348824617701766_7900643644085292589_n.png

Hey! Ben Stokes! That's what batting injured looks like. You don't hobble around every time you hit a six saying "look at me I'm injured and still hitting sixes", and then sprint quick singles the following ball you fake piece of sh!t

Just watched the highlights of Maxwell's innings.
Yeah great knock to rescue Australia from an embarassing position, but should have been out on 33 (an absolute sitter).

Hopefully he can produce the goods when it really matters.
No he shouldn't have been, the bloke didn't catch it. Check the rules. Rashid Khan however SHOULD have been out, because Stoinis DID catch it.

I get your point but they used red balls that maintained their condition and movement for much longer as they weren’t painted, there were no bowling restrictions as far as I’m aware in terms of short pitched bowling and the wide restrictions were a lot less heavy handed.

As someone pointed out with Maxwell, no matter which spin you put on it, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it and the same applies to Viv.
It’s weird how offended people sometimes get when you suggest that when professional athletes spend more time practicing and doing something they get better at it.

Yeah he copped a lot of s*t for his comments, and it's true that what Maxwell did was nothing short of ****** remarkable, but his best performances are against the weakest teams. That's not a strike against him, every elite cricketer beats on the lesser teams more often than not, and yes, I know the Afghans aren't easy beats anymore, but their bowling was pretty s**t about the swing died out.

Maxwell plays very aggressively, and so it's hard to see him getting 50+ against South Africa, New Zealand, or India, but if he does that if the team requires it, then he deserves to be talked about among the all time greats of Oz cricket, performing when it counts the most against the best sides at the pointy end. You need every bit of luck you can get for that, though, like he got with that easy dropped catch. He just never looked like getting out after that.

You can go back and see my comments in this thread last night/this morning but it wasn't that surprising to me that Maxwell did this, and the closer they got to 100 runs on the board left with him still there, the more confident I was he'd do it. I knew when they dropped him he'd make them pay, but still, the way he did even surprised me, and all of us, I think. I thought it'd eventually take its toll and he'd retire and then Cummins and Zampa would finish off with about 30 runs left but nope, he shat it in, made them look like amateurs.
Maxy made a brilliant hundred in a WC game at the SCG in 2015 when we were in trouble and also made a Test 100 on a tricky Indian pitch. He’s had many good knocks against the best teams, but too many people can’t stand the bloke and it clouds their judgement so they only remember when he gets out cheaply.

Last night solidified his standing in Australian cricket history and hopefully removes the stigma he can’t perform in big moments, as it simply wasn’t true to begin with.

He also made an important 40 against NZ a couple of games ago. Helped win us the game with the ball in our last match against India before the WC, that’s why his all round ability is so important.

Maxwell picks himself regardless of his inconsistency. He's not only the ultimate finisher but is the only 360 degree player we have. Meaning he can clear the boundary with multiple types of shots. Only a significant form slump should see his spot under threat IMO. On his day is irreplaceable.

Maxy made a brilliant hundred in a WC game at the SCG in 2015 when we were in trouble and also made a Test 100 on a tricky Indian pitch. He’s had many good knocks against the best teams, but too many people can’t stand the bloke and it clouds their judgement so they only remember when he gets out cheaply.

Last night solidified his standing in Australian cricket history and hopefully removes the stigma he can’t perform in big moments, as it simply wasn’t true to begin with.
People hate Maxwell? Why?

Truly bizarre that in every World Cup game we’re Australia has lost the first 5 wickets for less than 50, we’ve won every game.

It’s happened 6 times.

This is what defines Aussie cricket. It’s the ability to win in every situation. We can dominate games or play so badly it looks like we’ve thrown it away and yet still win. The ability to just consistently win games no matter what is important in tournaments and Australia just seem to always do it.
So if we're ever 4/49 what do we do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s weird how offended people sometimes get when you suggest that when professional athletes spend more time practicing and doing something they get better at it.

No one gets offended by it. People get miffed by the lack of comprehension that players from past eras would cope just as well with present ones and the suggestion that given the same access and advancements, they wouldn’t be just as good

Truly bizarre that in every World Cup game we’re Australia has lost the first 5 wickets for less than 50, we’ve won every game.

It’s happened 6 times.

This is what defines Aussie cricket. It’s the ability to win in every situation. We can dominate games or play so badly it looks like we’ve thrown it away and yet still win. The ability to just consistently win games no matter what is important in tournaments and Australia just seem to always do it.
Fascinating stat. I don't suppose you have a list of those 6 games?

Not to denigrate Richard's 189... but when people talk about the 'old days' of one-day batting, and how 6+/over was a huge feat and how much Richard's stood out from the crowd, they also ignore that in the early days of one-day cricket the bowling wasn't very sophisticated either. Neither was the fielding, really. If a batsman, like Viv, really attacked the bowling, teams didn't have many answers.

Again, not to denigrate his inning, or to say it was beneath Maxwell's. Just completely different eras in so many ways.

Bigger bats with huge middles and massively thick edges, roped off boundaries, fielding restrictions, Richards would dominate current conditions.

As good and as much fun as Maxwell's innings was there was a lot of arse in it. Have a look at Richards, not a false stroke in it.

Fascinating stat. I don't suppose you have a list of those 6 games?
Small correction, it is first 4 wickets for less than 50 runs in World Cups. Less impressive but still interesting

1996 V WI at Mohali: 15/4. (Semi Final won by 5 runs)

1975 V ENG at Leeds: 32/4. (Semi Final won by 4 wickets). Truly bizarre game with ENG setting 93 and Gary Gilmour getting 6 wickets and 28 runs to be MOM

2019 V WI at Nottingham: 38/4. (Group game won by 15 runs). NCN got 92.

2003 V NZ at Gquberha: 47/4. (Group game won by 96 runs).

2003 V ENG at Gquberha: 49/4. (Group game won by 2 wickets).

2023 V AFG at Mumbai: 49/4. (Group game won by 3 wickets).

Bigger bats with huge middles and massively thick edges, roped off boundaries, fielding restrictions, Richards would dominate current conditions.

As good and as much fun as Maxwell's innings was there was a lot of arse in it. Have a look at Richards, not a false stroke in itit.
It's funny when people talk about Maxwell being a 360 degree player, one of the tells with Richards when he was a bit out of touch was you'd see him hitting across the line a lot more.

As good as Rashid Khan is, he went pretty close at times
He is a genuine card carrying knobtosser. Absolute piece of crap. Whenever there is a slight misfield off his bowling he tantrums like a four year old screaming at the fielder. When he misfields, it's all "What are YOU looking at?"

Nice straw man. You'll notice my comments pertained to you downgrading Maxwell. I was merely pointing out some attributes of his innings that are rightly garnering respect.

If I say a doube hundred is more impressive in a chase than a first innings, it doesn't mean I refuse to praise the latter. Surely you don't think viewpoints are this black and white.
You are certainly making a good fist of feeding the troll.

Small correction, it is first 4 wickets for less than 50 runs in World Cups. Less impressive but still interesting

1996 V WI at Mohali: 15/4. (Semi Final won by 5 runs)

1975 V ENG at Leeds: 32/4. (Semi Final won by 4 wickets). Truly bizarre game with ENG setting 93 and Gary Gilmour getting 6 wickets and 28 runs to be MOM

2019 V WI at Nottingham: 38/4. (Group game won by 15 runs). NCN got 92.

2003 V NZ at Gquberha: 47/4. (Group game won by 96 runs).

2003 V ENG at Gquberha: 49/4. (Group game won by 2 wickets).

2023 V AFG at Mumbai: 49/4. (Group game won by 3 wickets).
The stat I read was indeed five wickets for 50 BUT itwasn't the first 5 wickets it was we'd won ever world cup match in which we'd conceded 5 wickets in a string for under 50 runs.

Yeah nah. Clear as day in the front on view the ball bounced.
No it bounced off his fingers not the ground. His fingers were o the ground before the ball got into his hands, he comes up with his hands completely surrounding the ball, but he hasn't moved them relative to the ball at all. They were always under the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back