2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Maxwell, he is a fellow Saints supporter and it was a good knock from him but it wasn't one of the greatest ODI innings of all time.

He looked terrible early, dropped twice and was also lucky not to be out lbw then cashed in on some terrible bowling from a minnow team.

He also cashed in against another minnow team in the Netherlands, I haven't seen him bat all that well against proper teams in this WC.

He made 15 against India, 3 against South Africa and 41 against NZ on a flat deck when he got given a big platform from Warner and Head.

Why didn't he play one of these amazing ODI innings against those teams? Maybe because they aren't minnows and have better bowlers.

Actually, it was. Whether it's the "best" or not is subjective. But it's certainly up there.

Sure he was lucky early. So what? That's a big part of this game. And he made his opponents pay, that's the important thing.

As for poor bowling, you could equally argue that it came about as a result of Maxwell's batting.

Minnow team? You may have a point if he had come in at 1-250 after 30 overs, but Australia were 7-90 odd chasing 292. Playing a minnow team or not, you are in big trouble.

Referring to his other performances really is deflecting and not assessing this performance on its own merits.

On top of all that, he was cramping up big time. Plus he was under the pressure of chasing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not being a huge Maxwell fan, yet acknowledging this was one of the all-time great knocks.

Nice straw man. You'll notice my comments pertained to you downgrading Maxwell. I was merely pointing out some attributes of his innings that are rightly garnering respect.

If I say a doube hundred is more impressive in a chase than a first innings, it doesn't mean I refuse to praise the latter. Surely you don't think viewpoints are this black and white.

Yeah I know that when I want to downgrade someone, what I do is repeatedly state that their innings has to be considered within the greatest 3-4 in the 53 year history of the format.

F**k me mate, learn what you’re arguing.

Someone made mention of Rohit Sharma and his list of achievements. A response/s was made denigrating him for, among other things, not doing it when it counts, being a flat track bully, and scoring all his runs batting first.

To which I responded by pointing out in pretty straight forward fashion that all those arguments are bullshit and that if you wanted to go down the path of writing off the context of Sharma’s runs, why not write off Maxwell’s as well, considering that barring a freak set of circumstances, there wasn’t a great deal on the line.

I wonder how many times in international cricket there has been a 200 partnership with one player contributing just 12 runs or thereabouts?

Or even in first-class/list A/T20 cricket for that matter?

PhatBoy this is one of the other impressive elements and hence why it has drawn comparisons with other legendary ODI performances with a similar backdrop. Nobody praising Richards, Dev's or Gibbs innings automatically brushed aside the other huge totals. But the first two, like Maxwell, did have almost no contributions other than the man of the match batsman.

I’ve not tried to argue otherwise so I’m not sure why it needs to be reiterated

I wonder how many times in international cricket there has been a 200 partnership with one player contributing just 12 runs or thereabouts?

Or even in first-class/list A/T20 cricket for that matter?
I believe they broke their own record from the Netherlands match?

lowest-contribution-in-mens-cwc-partnership-v0-vhn7nkmdf1zb1.jpg

edit: that is World Cup record.

PhatBoy this is one of the other impressive elements and hence why it has drawn comparisons with other legendary ODI performances with a similar backdrop. Nobody praising Richards, Dev's or Gibbs innings automatically brushed aside the other huge totals. But the first two, like Maxwell, did have almost no contributions other than the man of the match batsman.
Richards 189* out of 9-272. 69.48% of runs. WI were 7-102 at one stage.
Next highest score 26. Two double figure scores apart from Richards.
Extras 10. Other batsmen combined 73.
Major partnership 106*, for the last wicket, of which Holding contributed 12.

Kapil Dev 175* out of 8-266. 65.78% of runs. India were 5-17, and 7-78 at different stages.
Next highest score Kirmani 24*. Three double figure scores apart from Kapil.
Extras 12. Other batsmen combined 79.
Major partnership 126*, for the 9th wicket, of which Kirmani contributed 24.

Maxwell 201* out of 7-293. 68.60% of runs. Australia were 7-91 at one stage.
Next highest score Marsh 24. Four double figure scores apart from Maxwell.
Extras 15. Other batsmen combined 77.
Major partnership 201*, for the 8th wicket, of which Cummins contributed 12.

Each of the three knocks had quite similar characteristics.

I'm not sure why people bother with 'he was lucky early' or 'he was dropped on <insert total>' a chanceless innings is so days of yore it barely happens. Players go at the ball in these forms there's no dead batting it or leaving everything outside off-stump while you crawl to a century.

Gilchrist, Lara & Tendulkar all gave you chances, take them or grab the kleenex.

Sharma always has been a flat track bully.

Also Afghanistan has proven themselves to be the 5/6th best ODI team as everyone plays each other in the World Cup.

Maxy the only no opener to score a double and the only to do it in a run chase coming in at 6. In a must win World Cup game to make sure we qualified for the finals

The context couldn’t be more different if you tried

Who is comparing Sharma to Maxwell, eventhough they're both attacking batsmen. I was just noting it's a fair effort by Sharma to have scored 3 double ODI tons.
With respect to Sharma, he has scored 5 ODI centuries here in Australia, with a top score of 171 not out in Perth of all places. So not sure about the flat track bully comment. Plus Afghanistan is ranked No.9 in ODI cricket, not 5 or 6. But that won't take away from Maxy's brilliant knock, as you still need some freakish talent to do what he did, no matter who we were playing.
I don't care if we win or lose, l appreciate great cricketers from all over the world, and Maxy is one of my favourites, despite the criticism he cops from some in the media. Interstate media in particular....

I'm not sure why people bother with 'he was lucky early' or 'he was dropped on <insert total>' a chanceless innings is so days of yore it barely happens. Players go at the ball in these forms there's no dead batting it or leaving everything outside off-stump while you crawl to a century.

Gilchrist, Lara & Tendulkar all gave you chances, take them or grab the kleenex.

You ride your luck, and he made the most of it to produce that innings.....

Who is comparing Sharma to Maxwell, eventhough they're both attacking batsmen. I was just noting it's a fair effort by Sharma to have scored 3 double ODI tons.
With respect to Sharma, he has scored 5 ODI centuries here in Australia, with a top score of 171 not out in Perth of all places. So not sure about the flat track bully comment. Plus Afghanistan is ranked No.9 in ODI cricket, not 5 or 6. But that won't take away from Maxy's brilliant knock, as you still need some freakish talent to do what he did, no matter who we were playing.
I don't care if we win or lose, l appreciate great cricketers from all over the world, and Maxy is one of my favourites, despite the criticism he cops from some in the media. Interstate media in particular....

The comment you responded to was incredibly stupid.
For a flat track Indian bully to hit five hundreds in Australia, five hundreds in a single World Cup in England, as well as a sixth century in England and one against one of the world’s best pace attacks in SA….. well I’m curious to see what defines a proper good batsman, put it that way

Aside from Maxi Australia couldn't have played much worse. Our bowling was atrocious and our top order couldn't see out the hooping ball long enough for things to settle down. Stoinis over Green makes no sense from either a batting or bowling perspective and our pace attack offers no variation and a long tail.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eddiesmith has been quiet hasn't he? Perhaps the optus shutdown has silenced him temporarily?

Obsessed much? Btw some of us have to work for a living, can’t spend their lives watching cricket 24/7.

But if you knew anything of my posting then you’d realise you’re barking completely up the wrong tree…

What. The. Feck. Did. I. Just. Miss?

Went to bed at 7-123 and woke up to possibly the greatest ODI innings in history.
I fell asleep when they were around 7/170. Thought they had the sneakiest of chances but didn't expect to not lose any more wickets and for Maxwell to score basically all the runs if they did get up lol

opening a can of worms on that one Funk

bowling wasnt sophisticated ???? :think:

yeah I will just let that go through to the keeper

When I say "sophisticated", I'm not suggesting that the bowler's of yesteryear were no good. Just that they hadn't developed the armoury that bowlers have today. Most bowlers bowled in a similar fashion to Test matches. A good bowler, bowled line and length and typically pitched the ball in the same spot as in a Test match. If the batsmen attacked, the yorker was considered the absolute best possible defensive delivery. Slower balls were relatively uncommon. I remember commentators getting excited because Steve Waugh could bowl a slower ball... that you could pick a mile off. These days, most bowlers have three or four changes of pace, both obvious and subtle, vary their angle at the crease, vary their width, short balls, yorkers... the whole lot.

I'm not saying modern one-day bowlers are 'better'... just different.

I actually think you're somewhat on the money here. On any other day, Maxwell popped up an easy catch on 33 and that was the end of it. The brilliance happened after that.
Yeah he copped a lot of s**t for his comments, and it's true that what Maxwell did was nothing short of ******* remarkable, but his best performances are against the weakest teams. That's not a strike against him, every elite cricketer beats on the lesser teams more often than not, and yes, I know the Afghans aren't easy beats anymore, but their bowling was pretty s**t about the swing died out.

Maxwell plays very aggressively, and so it's hard to see him getting 50+ against South Africa, New Zealand, or India, but if he does that if the team requires it, then he deserves to be talked about among the all time greats of Oz cricket, performing when it counts the most against the best sides at the pointy end. You need every bit of luck you can get for that, though, like he got with that easy dropped catch. He just never looked like getting out after that.

You can go back and see my comments in this thread last night/this morning but it wasn't that surprising to me that Maxwell did this, and the closer they got to 100 runs on the board left with him still there, the more confident I was he'd do it. I knew when they dropped him he'd make them pay, but still, the way he did even surprised me, and all of us, I think. I thought it'd eventually take its toll and he'd retire and then Cummins and Zampa would finish off with about 30 runs left but nope, he shat it in, made them look like amateurs.

Wouldn't plugger be happy? We lose then nz fate is out of its hands but now kiwis just need any win vs sri Lanka and that forces Pakistan to annihilate england to qualify.

Anybody who would want aus to lose this game is no kiwi cricket fan that's for sure
Plugger hates Australia way more than he likes the Black Caps.

So basically your average Black Cap fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back