2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the top reactions, frustration at team mates, smug, s**t eating grin when they were on top, and the sulking when they were in trouble.
Yep. One of the worst in world cricket. Can't stand the bloke and the way commentators jizz themselves over him. "Uncharacteristic turn over from Judd/Ablett" areas.

Viv's 189 has long been the top of the pile and rightfully so. Similar looking scorecard as well with Viv's score then next best 26 as it was last night with Maxwells 201 then 24. Same with Kapil Dev (175 next best 24). Crazy

It is such a shame there is no footage of Kapil Dev's 175. Hard to truly rank in that sense but often talked about being right up there.

Maxwell's is the best IMO simply because it was a chase, state of the game and how badly he was struggling physically.

Honourable mentions for best WC innings I have seen
  • Chris Harris against Aus in 1996 WC. Also memorable for Waugh's innings as well as Warney coming out to pinch hit at 4.
  • Ponting 03 WC final
  • Steve Waugh 120 in 1999 vs South Africa
  • AB De Villers v West Indies 2015
  • John Davison the great Canadian against the West Indies in 2003
  • Stokes 2019 final
  • Guptil v WI 2015

Stokes innings is being praised by a lot of English accounts/fans as the greatest ODI innings of all time given it was a final. Dont think so. They just can't help themselves.
Reckon your list also warrants Symonds' 143 off 125 vs Pakistan coming in at 80 or 90/4, and Gilchrist's 149 off 104 in the 2007 Final.

It lowest point in the match was 0.21% when Afghanistan was 99.79%

385559684_348824617701766_7900643644085292589_n.png
To be honest I've grown a bit sceptical of these probabilities throughout the tournament. Consider this passage of play:

Screenshot_20231112_153023_ESPNCricinfo.jpg

Forgive me for all the numbers 🫣

We see that are 30 overs (partly off screen) we are 6.35% chance of winning. Then in the 31st over we score only 3 runs, well below the required rate, yet our likelihood of winning rises to 7.63%.

But then in the 32nd over, we score 11 runs, Maxwell retains the strike, we've seen off another over of one of the top 10 bowlers in the world, yet our winning probability FALLS to 4.48%. Really?

I suspect there are bugs in this model and it could be that the model is trying to take too many factors into account than data exists for, making it too granular. Duckworth/Lewis works in a similar manner but they smooth that out with an overarching mathematical formula which essentially irons out any of these "kinks".

I also suspect that Cricinfo uses a different forecasting model to that used on TV. The numbers quoted on the telecast regularly differ quite markedly to those being presented by Cricinfo at the same time.

For what it's worth I really like the winning % as part of the coverage, as well as the first innings score predictions, but it's apparent to me they are very much a work in progress.

To be honest I've grown a bit sceptical of these probabilities throughout the tournament. Consider this passage of play:

View attachment 1851083

Forgive me for all the numbers 🫣

We see that are 30 overs (partly off screen) we are 6.35% chance of winning. Then in the 31st over we score only 3 runs, well below the required rate, yet our likelihood of winning rises to 7.63%.

But then in the 32nd over, we score 11 runs, Maxwell retains the strike, we've seen off another over of one of the top 10 bowlers in the world, yet our winning probability FALLS to 4.48%. Really?

I suspect there are bugs in this model and it could be that the model is trying to take too many factors into account than data exists for, making it too granular. Duckworth/Lewis works in a similar manner but they smooth that out with an overarching mathematical formula which essentially irons out any of these "kinks".

I also suspect that Cricinfo uses a different forecasting model to that used on TV. The numbers quoted on the telecast regularly differ quite markedly to those being presented by Cricinfo at the same time.

For what it's worth I really like the winning % as part of the coverage, as well as the first innings score predictions, but it's apparent to me they are very much a work in progress.
The actually probability is about 8 balls behind the situation. So it pretty much is fluctuating exactly as you describe the match.

The actually probability is about 8 balls behind the situation. So it pretty much is fluctuating exactly as you describe the match.
Hmmmm, you could be right. But if that is the case it's surprising they don't go back and tidy that up after the fact. I mean I just took that screenshot from the Cricinfo app as it appears right now, not how it was in real time during the game.

Where Maxwell bats in the order Strike Rate is important and he has the highest.Average wise in 1 day cricket for Australia Maxwell averages 35.70.Of the players in this squad Warner 45.62,Smith 43.46,Head 41.20,Labuschange 37.00 and M.Marsh 34.44.The interesting one I noticed was Bevan who batted in the middle order averaging mid 40,s.
Bevan averaged almost 54... You're possibly looking at his bowling average?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so drop Stoinis?
Yep, and that would be my only change. I don't even think that's controversial; we actually had some decent death bowling yesterday for the first time in YEARS.

so drop Stoinis?

Interesting brettig doesnt bother to list any stoinis career or wc odi stats but just calls him a popular member of the side and an "impact player" whatever that means, this shouldnt even be an argument if we need a batsman who can bowl a bit we go green or we go marnus for batting as stoinis has been awful all wc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back