2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 1 England v New Zealand 5/10 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Two consecutive world cup matches between these two teams, both won by New Zealand. Shame for England this one was unable to be manipulated their way through bullsh!t umpiring.

Ravindra winning the player of the match.

I told you he was arriving and he arrived tonight.

Conway great again but you just expect that from him.
Surely Conway should've got man of the match. Will Young wouldn't be feeling great

Surely Conway should've got man of the match. Will Young wouldn't be feeling great

Ravindra also took the wicket of Brook which might have swung the man of the match in his favour, Conway stiff to miss out on it though.

While I understand the disappointing nature of the stupid rule that won England the last tournament, can someone explain to me why people still flog themselves silly over the deflection from Stokes’ bat? It happens a lot, and it isn’t as though it was deliberate.

It’s not like England did something wrong to win the tournament

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I understand the disappointing nature of the stupid rule that won England the last tournament, can someone explain to me why people still flog themselves silly over the deflection from Stokes’ bat? It happens a lot, and it isn’t as though it was deliberate.

It's just England that's why

While the boundary countback rule stunk and the deflection from Stokes bat was horribly unfortunate, not many would have been upset if New Zealand won the 2019 World Cup final in that manner.

Last edited:

There's a pretty big Venn diagram involving people who take the piss out of England's moral victory in the Ashes but who can't get past England apparently unfairly winning the 2019 CWC. Not sure they understand the inherent contradiction between those two viewpoints.

Why do people bag India for 47k to a game not involving them?
We had 16k or so rock up to some of our games for the T20 WC.
Because their population is 50 times bigger than ours, and the crowd was appalling at the start of the game. Did look to build to an extent though as the game progressed. The issue was playing that game in the 130k seat stadium on a Thursday

And with good reason......

I see they've changed the rules for this WC. Super overs until a result.
There should not have even been a super over. Scores were not level after 50 overs. England cheated and counted an extra run that wasn't there in the overthrows. An overthrow went to the boundary, they turned for a second and had not completed the second run when it hit the rope. They counted the second run but it was never completed. This isn't even a bad judgement call it was simply wrong.

There should not have even been a super over. Scores were not level after 50 overs. England cheated and counted an extra run that wasn't there in the overthrows. An overthrow went to the boundary, they turned for a second and had not completed the second run when it hit the rope. They counted the second run but it was never completed. This isn't even a bad judgement call it was simply wrong.
He clearly completed the second run, as the ball hit the bat when he was diving to make his ground at the striker's end.

Anyway, I'm not sure how you conclude that England cheated.

He clearly completed the second run, as the ball hit the bat when he was diving to make his ground at the striker's end.

It's the run AFTER it hit his bat that shouldn't have been counted.

Here you go, suck on this. They cheated.

They didn't cheat. But they benefitted from an error by the umpires/scorers.

And that stupid most boundaries in the tournament rule.
If it weren't England, they'd have looked the rule up.

Back