If Geelong get a home final against a non Victorian team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It should be the MCG. Regardless, it is unbelievable that this isn't a locked in decision before the season starts. There's this misnomer about 'home state' finals but GWS have held them at their home ground and the AFL admin have certainly said Gold Coast will host at Metricon.

2013 was an outlier due to several factors:
1. Week 1 finals played over 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) instead of 4 which is now the norm
2. 4 Victorian based teams hosting a final in week 1

So the decision came down to Docklands or Kardinia which was made on the fly. This was and remains incredible. There are a finite number of final match ups that you cater for. It could be as simple as "Geelong will play any home final at the MCG except GWS or Gold Coast which can be held at Kardinia Park".

Instead we find ourselves speculating and debating mid-season about what could happen and the AFL crossing their fingers.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
High 30s now iirc.

Marvel 55k, MCG 100k. No deal.

I'm just the messenger, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't - but you can guarantee the AFL don't care about the wants of the Geelong based Geelong fans.
No guarantee of more paying customers to either Docklands or the MCG for a final against the Giants. I, for one, go to MCG games for free as an MCC member (maybe the AFL get a cut, no idea), Docklands has significant Medallion Club members who's tickets would be covered.

If you take away those, I reckon there wouldn't be a massive difference.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Aren't finals 50/50 ticket allocations? Say there is a few k of "corperates" tickets so there's 34k spots available? Eagles or crows would bring possibly 15k over wo that leaves 19k tickets available for geelong fans. Is that really what they want?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Let’s break this down
IF Geelong host an interstate side in week 1 of finals, and all 3 other finals are hosted by other Victorian clubs, then Geelong will almost certainly host their final at KP.

If Geelong host a Victorian side in week 1 of finals, and all 3 other finals are hosted by Victorian clubs, Geelong may host their final at KP depending on what the match ups are.
(tbh it’s difficult to see this happening, the AFL would find a way to schedule 4 games at the G)

If Geelong host a week 1 final and 2 or less of the other finals are hosted by Victorian clubs, it’ll be at the G.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
High 30s now iirc.

Marvel 55k, MCG 100k. No deal.

I'm just the messenger, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't - but you can guarantee the AFL don't care about the wants of the Geelong based Geelong fans.

The standard for Geelong against a non-Victorian team without Victorian ties in the early weeks of finals at the MCG is about 40-45,000. Remove a conservative 7-8,000 MCC members (1/3 capacity) and where does that leave us?

All things considered, I would have thought in the first two weeks of finals, if there is no other Victorian home game, Geelong would have to play at the MCG as the home team. If there's at least one other game at the MCG it should come down to the opponent: GC/GWS definitely at GMHBA, Sydney/Brisbane definitely in Melbourne and the WA/SA teams depend on other factors.

And while I get the obvious Fremantle link in this discussion, perhaps they would be better off worrying about getting into the eight than thinking about a first week qualifying final against Geelong.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
No guarantee of more paying customers to either Docklands or the MCG for a final against the Giants. I, for one, go to MCG games for free as an MCC member (maybe the AFL get a cut, no idea), Docklands has significant Medallion Club members who's tickets would be covered.

If you take away those, I reckon there wouldn't be a massive difference.

Don't disagree but the AFL don't care. They'll regret 2013 until 3013 at this rate.

You've had crowds from 44k to 70k+ without a local opponent. That's what the AFL care about. Plus they own Marvel and have a long term deal with the MCC.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Let’s break this down
IF Geelong host an interstate side in week 1 of finals, and all 3 other finals are hosted by other Victorian clubs, then Geelong will almost certainly host their final at KP.

If Geelong host a Victorian side in week 1 of finals, and all 3 other finals are hosted by Victorian clubs, Geelong may host their final at KP depending on what the match ups are.
(tbh it’s difficult to see this happening, the AFL would find a way to schedule 4 games at the G)

If Geelong host a week 1 final and 2 or less of the other finals are hosted by Victorian clubs, it’ll be at the G.
Doubtful as finals are played over 4 days rather than 3 when it happened in 2013.

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Let’s break this down

There will be a Thursday night final as the pre-finals bye allows it.
I assume there will be one regardless of having 4 Vic finals or not, for example - us v Hawks last year.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Slight change of tack.

If you were the AFL who gets to choose where and when each game is played - why would you play at GBH?
Because if waters down your ability to blindly say GWS and Gold Coast get home finals (and they absolutely do).

The best situation for forcing the AFL to look at this attendance versus fair reward for ladder positions will be GWS hosting Collingwood in a final. If the Bulldogs got a convoy to Sydney for the 2016 prelim, have a think about what the Pies would show up with.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams
Idk why people are so big on just playing at big venues.

I'd rather a full 36k stadium than a half full MCG or 80% full Marvel.

Compare the atmosphere at the 2016 PF between GWS and Bulldogs where they had 22k in attendance against the 2011 PF between Geelong and West Coast where there was 60k in attendance.

The MCG is my favourite stadium in the world and it's at it's best when there's like 70K or more there, but it can be pretty average in the atmosphere when it's not full.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Compare the atmosphere at the 2016 PF between GWS and Bulldogs where they had 22k in attendance against the 2011 PF between Geelong and West Coast where there was 60k in attendance.

The MCG is my favourite stadium in the world and it's at it's best when there's like 70K or more there, but it can be pretty average in the atmosphere when it's not full.
Well it becomes a pure $$$ return for the AFL who get the revenue. And if the last 20 years has shown us anything, the AFL will do anything for revenue.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Well it becomes a pure $$$ return for the AFL who get the revenue. And if the last 20 years has shown us anything, the AFL will do anything for revenue.

I'm more talking about the people who are against Geelong playing in Geelong.

I get there's probably an ignorance and hatred regarding us and where we play which plays greatly into their thinking.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Doubtful as finals are played over 4 days rather than 3 when it happened in 2013.
Finals could be played over four days now, but the AFL hasn’t done it yet. The Thursday night final seems to have replaced the Sunday final, not a Saturday one. I guess there’s a combination of factors leading to this, including extra TV money from the Saturday slot and minimising 6 day breaks in finals.

It would be interesting to see which route the AFL takes in this case, so I’m probably not as certain about the venue as I was in my original post. Though I was being a bit facetious, I reckon the likelihood of that scenario occurring is pretty slim, and I can’t see it happening this year for sure.

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

Cats should be able to pull 60+ against most teams at the G in a final?

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm more talking about the people who are against Geelong playing in Geelong.

I get there's probably an ignorance and hatred regarding us and where we play which plays greatly into their thinking.
Well jokes and 2013 references aside, we're a much better chance of knocking off a team at KP than the MCG.

Personally MCG finals weren't a problem 2007 to 2011 and we picked up 3 flags. I guess I come from the school of thought that if you're good enough, you're good enough anywhere.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats should be able to pull 60+ against most teams at the G in a final?

Depends on who we play.

We pulled 55k against Sydney in the 2017 semi, 71k against Sydney in 2016 PF, 66k against North in the 2014 semi, 52k against Port in the 2013 semi, 44k against Freo in the 2012 elim and then they moved the semi against them to Geelong the next year, 60k against WCE in 2011 PF.

It's relative to who we play and what round.

A game against an interstate club should 100% be considered for Kardinia Park rather than the MCG unless it's maybe a PF.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Finals could be played over four days now, but the AFL hasn’t done it yet. The Thursday night final seems to have replaced the Sunday final, not a Saturday one. I guess there’s a combination of factors leading to this, including extra TV money from the Saturday slot and minimising 6 day breaks in finals.

It would be interesting to see which route the AFL takes in this case, so I’m probably not as certain about the venue as I was in my original post. Though I was being a bit facetious, I reckon the likelihood of that scenario occurring is pretty slim, and I can’t see it happening this year for sure.
Right you are, point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back