If Geelong get a home final against a non Victorian team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what? AFL handles allocation for finals. If you were to host Richmond, they'd get 70% of the tickets.

I'm not talking about playing Richmond in Geelong though am I?

And there's 0 chance Richmond would be given 70% allocation to a home Geelong final in Geelong.

Play the 1st half at GMBHA then switch venues at half time. Build a super-copter that can hold 40,000+ people and fly them into the MCG for the 2nd half.

Win-Win situation for all.

Hopefully at the MCG against an interstate side.

The game against freo at kardinia park in 2013 lost alot of its "homeground advantage" feel with 1/2 the stadium crammed with ~15k freo fans. If that game was played at a larger ground - say the MCG - 50-60k geelong fans would have far outnumbered the 20-30k freo fans making the trip. (all guesstimated numbers yes)

No they can't, there's not enough seats. That's precisely the problem.

No, it's the monetary value for the AFL that's the problem.

A full stadium no matter the size, whether is 36k Kardinia Park or 24k at GIANTS Stadium, trump a half full MCG from a crowd and consumer experience perspective.

The game against freo at kardinia park in 2013 lost alot of its "homeground advantage" feel with 1/2 the stadium crammed with ~15k freo fans. If that game was played at a larger ground - say the MCG - 50-60k geelong fans would have far outnumbered the 20-30k freo fans making the trip. (all guesstimated numbers yes)

We pulled 44k at the MCG against them the year before. There was 0 chance we'd pulled 50k of just Geelong fans to the game, let alone 20k Freo fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot to factor in the Freagle fans.

Imaging still having a sook about the location of a grand final when it's always been in the same location lmao

Imagine if you can, just for a minute.......Richmond finish top, winning both of your finals, and having to play the Grand Final at Adelaide Oval.

Can you imagine it? Go on, just for a minute......think about it. How would you feel?

Imagine if you can, just for a minute.......Richmond finish top, winning both of your finals, and having to play the Grand Final at Adelaide Oval.

Can you imagine it? Go on, just for a minute......think about it. How would you feel?

Well I wouldn't think about it, because I know I support a team in a competition where the grand final will always be at the MCG. Wouldn't matter if I was an interstate supporter, wouldn't matter if the grand final wasn't at the MCG. I know what I'm signing up for before I go into it.

Freo members only bought 2k tickets from their allocation, the left overs went on sale to the public, would have been maybe 3k there all up. The lack of home game feel was due to the Cats being out played that day.

Freo members only bought 2k tickets from their allocation, the left overs went on sale to the public, would have been maybe 3k there all up. The lack of home game feel was due to the Cats being out played that day.

It did seem a lot more were present when watching the tv - at least in the last quarter from the noise they were making.
Was definitely one of our best wins.

In general I think the AFL has a policy of most appropriate ground for the state - they used this to force the Swans to go to the Olympic Stadium from memory. Also if there is only one final on in Melbourne for that weekend it would go to the MCG.

So if the ladder stood as it did today, I reckon it would be Richmond vs Adelaide at the MCG and Geelong vs Brisbane at Kardinia park.

Geelong should get home finals against whoever they play, Victorian or otherwise.

Counter-argument - they sell home games at the G and get experience there.

Counter-counter-argument - don't effing buy their games!
We don’t sell games to the G, AFL make us play there, we have requested 11 home games at Kardinia but get knocked back

Well... I wouldn't be here sooking about it two years later.

Integrity of the finals series should always be upheld, even if it comes at the expense of filling the AFL’s overflowing coffers
The Cat's have an enormous privilege.

When ground rationalisation came along every other Vic club have to relinquish their suburban ground, their home ground.

Geelong got to keep theirs.

Now they use that privilege to play the victim, spurn oppo supporters.

The only integrity is playing at the MCG... whether you be a Docklands resident or the very lucky Cats with their suburban ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back