If Geelong get a home final against a non Victorian team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Difference is geelong actually play home games in melbourne. Suns dont in brisbane

Of course, not perfect equivalency as I said. I think some people overestimate how much of home footy they play in Melbourne though these days. Aside from the 'country match' it's one other game this year. The Tassie stadium is more of a home for Hawthorn than Melbourne is for Geelong going by the amount of home games played in each.

No they can't, there's not enough seats. That's precisely the problem.

If it’s harder for me to get a ticket I don’t care.
I care for the club and their rights 1st, me 2nd. Who cares how many away teams fans can make it? Should finish higher.
In saying all this I live in Melbourne, love the G so I’m not opposed to MCG games but really where’s the fairness aspect?
If we play GWS I would prefer it at the G, if it’s an MCG based side I want it in Geelong. Obviously that’s not going to happen but look at this from the view of a small interstate club.
How is it fair on them to play us in Geelong when MCG tenants not only don’t have to but get it at their home ground aswell.
GWS, GC and Freo (despite their win) are actually treated unfairly due to their member numbers in Melbourne.

In summary if you don’t have to play in Geelong for a final why should anyone else?
Either everyone should be made to as an away finalist or no one.

I have no problem with Geelong playing home finals - as long as its against all teams.

The "against non-Vic teams only" just reinforces the pro-vic story
Nothing to do with pro Vic, it's to do with crowds. If there was a Vic side whose members would only buy 2k tickets to a final like Freo did then they would get scheduled at Kardinia Park too. I doubt Swans, Crows or Eagles would be put there as they have too many supporters.

Nothing to do with pro Vic, it's to do with crowds. If there was a Vic side whose members would only buy 2k tickets to a final like Freo did then they would get scheduled at Kardinia Park too. I doubt Swans, Crows or Eagles would be put there as they have too many supporters.
Irrelevant. Fairness is more important than a few dollars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it fair on them to play us in Geelong when MCG tenants not only don’t have to but get it at their home ground aswell.
GWS, GC and Freo (despite their win) are actually treated unfairly due to their member numbers in Melbourne.
Swings and roundabouts.
At least they get a hga in 95% of their home finals, unlike many Vic clubs.

If it’s harder for me to get a ticket I don’t care.
I care for the club and their rights 1st, me 2nd. Who cares how many away teams fans can make it? Should finish higher.
In saying all this I live in Melbourne, love the G so I’m not opposed to MCG games but really where’s the fairness aspect?
If we play GWS I would prefer it at the G, if it’s an MCG based side I want it in Geelong. Obviously that’s not going to happen but look at this from the view of a small interstate club.

In summary if you don’t have to play in Geelong for a final why should anyone else?
Either everyone should be made to as an away finalist or no one.

I agree with this. They should just put a line through Kardinia Park come finals time. I’d be happy if Geelong had zero games at Kardinia Park so they could play at the G more but I understand they don’t want that.

The AFL should implement three simple rules to put this argument to rest.
1. All finals from Week 1 - 3 should be played at the highest capacity stadium in each host team's state.
2. The only exceptions to the above rule are new clubs GC and GWS as they can't sell out their own stadiums yet.
3. If in Week 1 four Victorian team host finals, the predicted lowest drawing game of the four should be played at either Marvel or Geelong, with the three other games at the MCG.

This gets rolled out every fooking year this old chestnut.Who gives a flying fig where finals are played. If good enough you win

We are now a 'professional' sporting league, the competition is damn close (especially at the top end) - when it comes to finals it will be rare for a team to be a 30% better team (for arguments sake) than their opponents, 30% of course being significantly better enough to not matter where you played your opposition.

But one team could better than another team but only by 5%, which can easily be nullified by home ground advantage. That's why it makes sense for the higher placed team to have earned the right to play at their own home.

Do you really think Richmond would be the 2017 premiers if they played it at Adelaide Oval (Crowd finishing higher)? It is irrelevant as the GF is at the G until 2700 but that doesn't mean we have to throw our brains out and convince ourselves that the competition is completely fair.

We are now a 'professional' sporting league, the competition is damn close (especially at the top end) - when it comes to finals it will be rare for a team to be a 30% better team (for arguments sake) than their opponents, 30% of course being significantly better enough to not matter where you played your opposition.

But one team could better than another team but only by 5%, which can easily be nullified by home ground advantage. That's why it makes sense for the higher placed team to have earned the right to play at their own home.

Do you really think Richmond would be the 2017 premiers if they played it at Adelaide Oval (Crowd finishing higher)? It is irrelevant as the GF is at the G until 2700 but that doesn't mean we have to throw our brains out and convince ourselves that the competition is completely fair.
I don't think you've thought this through all the way. GFs have the most neutral crowds because the AFL gives tickets to both clubs. If the 2017 GF was played at Adelaide Oval, it wouldn't be like a regular H&A crowd or even a finals crowd (eg. 60000 capacity with 55000+ being Crows fans). It would far more likely be 30k Crows, 20k Tigers, 10k corporate (or something like that). The main advantage to playing at home is due to the crowd (being familiar with the ground is also important, but not that important). This is clear to anyone who has had to play at an opposition home ground (in any sport!) with 95% of the crowd against you.

So would the crows have won the 2017 GF if it was at Adelaide Oval...who knows. What we can say for sure is that the regular partisan crowd would not have been able to influence the game as much as usual, which evens up the stakes a lotttt.

But unless every team plays every team twice during the season, once home and once away, the ladder isn't a fair way of deciding which team deserves a home final.

Maybe the only reason a team is 5% better in your example is that they have a bigger hga or play some lesser teams twice? Maybe they're 5% worse? Nobody knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back