Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

its feeling better than it was last night after training, still feel it a little bit when i stretch but definitely better

With just about everything, you’ll know most at around 72 hour mark (as typically that’s when DOMS has subsided so if there’s still an issue after that point in time it might be something worth investigating further)

How heavy on the deadlifts, leg press etc (as well as movement tempo as this may be one of the more important variables) and have you noticed any difference since doing them?

2 x 6-8 For the Single leg leg press - 40 kg

2 x 12 Romanian deadlift - 45 kg

2 x 6-8 For the Single leg leg press - 40 kg

2 x 12 Romanian deadlift - 45 kg

Leg press is a little hard to tell as they’re all different, but I’d push that RDL to at least bodyweight, if not 1.25-1.5 times, for sets of 8-12 before “giving up” on strengthening as a viable management option (presumably your other exercises will develop at a similar rate).

IMO many health care providers are way too conservative with the weight training loads they put through fairly active people.
Given that when you run you have up to 10x bodyweight going through the knee the supportive tissues need to be pretty damn strong

OA also isn’t a complete death sentence either which seems to be a common misconception.

Yeah I was diagnosed with early OA about 10 years ago after tearing up my meniscus pretty badly and trying to play out a season of cricket before getting it operated on (ortho surgeon was not impressed!).

A couple of years after my op I still couldn't run without pain in my knee and I thought I was screwed for life, but since then I've lost around 20kgs while building my squat up to about 100kgs in the gym, and now I have no issues at all.

Anyone had pain on the inside front of their shoulder? Would that be a rotator cuff tear? With slight pain so can still move arm pretty easily, but get pain putting on a t shirt jumper etc would that mean about a month to recover?

Would there be any way to speed up the recovery?

Anyone had pain on the inside front of their shoulder? Would that be a rotator cuff tear? With slight pain so can still move arm pretty easily, but get pain putting on a t shirt jumper etc would that mean about a month to recover?

Would there be any way to speed up the recovery?

Unless you can pinpoint an exact moment/thing you were doing it’s unlikely to be a tear (if that’s the case then what you were doing would tell you what’s actually torn/strained).
A more vague or nonspecific onset points at a more inflammatory based condition (whether that’s a tendon or the bursa).

Unless you can pinpoint an exact moment/thing you were doing it’s unlikely to be a tear (if that’s the case then what you were doing would tell you what’s actually torn/strained).
A more vague or nonspecific onset points at a more inflammatory based condition (whether that’s a tendon or the bursa).
Cheers that's good news, however it's been 2 weeks and still the same. How long would you expect the injury to last?

Hasn't healed at all so far

I would’ve expected some natural healing to have occurred by this stage.
Unless you’re really doing something obvious that keeps aggravating it I’d go see a sports doc or a physio.

I need to go see a physio I suspect, but hopefully I can get some help here.

When I was in my teens (14/15) I had ‘recurrent patella dislocation’ in both knees. Wasn’t the end of the world, but my knees would be sore and randomly click going up and down stairs for e.g. At the time, the physio recommended knee strengthening exercises and strapping everyday. It eventually went died down enough to not be an issue day to day. Can’t remember why I had it - perhaps something to do with hip to knee alignment? Can’t remember.

Fast forward to now - my knees are flaring up again. I don’t think it’s gym related, but I have been standing up for 5-6 hours a day for a new job. I will only need to do this for another 5 months, and then I can go into the office and sit on my ass all day. What do you guys think? Tape everyday and hope for the best? I also wonder if training legs so often aggravates it... but surely if I’m working it, it’s good for strengthening? No idea.

When I was in my teens (14/15) I had ‘recurrent patella dislocation’ in both knees. Wasn’t the end of the world, but my knees would be sore and randomly click going up and down stairs for e.g. At the time, the physio recommended knee strengthening exercises and strapping everyday. It eventually went died down enough to not be an issue day to day. Can’t remember why I had it - perhaps something to do with hip to knee alignment? Can’t remember.

Fast forward to now - my knees are flaring up again. I don’t think it’s gym related, but I have been standing up for 5-6 hours a day for a new job. I will only need to do this for another 5 months, and then I can go into the office and sit on my ass all day. What do you guys think? Tape everyday and hope for the best? I also wonder if training legs so often aggravates it... but surely if I’m working it, it’s good for strengthening? No idea.

Going to standing for 5-6 hours spontaneously is probably the equivalent of having never run and all of a sudden attempting to do 5km day after day.
Given it’s a temporary situation I’d recommend doing whatever you need to in order to get through. Whether that’s taping, massage, whatever.
Afterwards I’d recommend still standing for at least some periods (dunno if you can set up one of those convertible stand up desks or not) so if you’re in this situation again your body is a bit more prepared

I'd get a leg (or whole body) massage. Don't mess around, get a deep massage (even though they usually hurt a bit (a lot)), and let us know how u go the following day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have really tight hip flexors, it's been a problem for a few years and my last physio thinks that I might have hip dysplasia.

Side note, every time I do leg raises when my leg goes down my left side of the hip does a pop (has done for over 15 years). It's really frustrating.

Any good exercises or stretches for this? I got given some from my physio but the heavier I start squatting the more tight they are getting.

I have really tight hip flexors, it's been a problem for a few years and my last physio thinks that I might have hip dysplasia.

Side note, every time I do leg raises when my leg goes down my left side of the hip does a pop (has done for over 15 years). It's really frustrating.

Any good exercises or stretches for this? I got given some from my physio but the heavier I start squatting the more tight they are getting.

You can only really confirm hip dysphasia via imaging and even then I’m not sure it explains why JUST your hip flexors are tight.
If you lie flat on your stomach can you lift your legs off (one at a time) without the front of your hip leaving the table/bed/floor?
Ie like this
http://www.physicaltherapyfirst.com/mobile-prone-hip-extension/

You can only really confirm hip dysphasia via imaging and even then I’m not sure it explains why JUST your hip flexors are tight.
If you lie flat on your stomach can you lift your legs off (one at a time) without the front of your hip leaving the table/bed/floor?
Ie like this
http://www.physicaltherapyfirst.com/mobile-prone-hip-extension/

Nope, my hip lifts.

I was just going off what my physio said, I've just had a lot of issues with my hips over the years.

Nope, my hip lifts.

I was just going off what my physio said, I've just had a lot of issues with my hips over the years.

There might be some soft tissue restriction at the front of your hip then, you lack a bit of muscular co-ordination around the hip or even that your bony anatomy doesn’t allow for a great deal of hip extension (all are beyond this thread to differentiate between!).

If we do go off the assumption that the hip flexors are the restriction then in most cases they’re either guarding against the movement due to weakness (a protective mechanism to stop them being over stretched) OR they’re guarding due to being overworked (in this case it could be that you’re over using Psoas Major as a spinal stabiliser, in which case it’s over activity would limit your hip extension)

hey guys question regarding my shoulder

so in the praccy saturday in a marking contest i got dragged down by 1 arm and at the time i felt like a small amount of pain but it quickly went away and i continued playing and played out the whole game. The next day i remember being at work at lifting my arms up high to stack something and i could feel a bit of pain, that passed after a couple days though so i thought nothing of it. Last night at training i thought there was nothing at all wrong so trained fully and there was a moment where i went to intercept a handball and quickly stretched my arm out to the side and had a sharp pain in my shoulder, i went off the track, iced it, next day i cant really mimic that pain when i raise my arm out quickly but one thing that is getting a bit of discomfort is when i bend my arms and do a lateral raise, when i get to the top of the raise it causes some pain, raising my arm straight is fine, it only happens when i do it laterally. What is this?

hey guys question regarding my shoulder

so in the praccy saturday in a marking contest i got dragged down by 1 arm and at the time i felt like a small amount of pain but it quickly went away and i continued playing and played out the whole game. The next day i remember being at work at lifting my arms up high to stack something and i could feel a bit of pain, that passed after a couple days though so i thought nothing of it. Last night at training i thought there was nothing at all wrong so trained fully and there was a moment where i went to intercept a handball and quickly stretched my arm out to the side and had a sharp pain in my shoulder, i went off the track, iced it, next day i cant really mimic that pain when i raise my arm out quickly but one thing that is getting a bit of discomfort is when i bend my arms and do a lateral raise, when i get to the top of the raise it causes some pain, raising my arm straight is fine, it only happens when i do it laterally. What is this?

Is it the shoulder you were dragged down by that’s the sore one?
May have had an inferior subluxation if that’s the case (you’ll hear commentators refer to this as a “stinger”).

Otherwise, how does a lateral raise feel if your thumb is point down vs pointing up?

Is it the shoulder you were dragged down by that’s the sore one?
May have had an inferior subluxation if that’s the case (you’ll hear commentators refer to this as a “stinger”).

Otherwise, how does a lateral raise feel if your thumb is point down vs pointing up?
yes it is that shoulder

both make it sore a bit but thumbs down is a bit worse than thumbs up

Hi just wondering if anyone has any history/knowledge with a rib injury. I played in a trial game last Wednesday and while I was chasing the ball (stupid thing wouldn't bounce up) I got tackled from behind and I think I landed on my side, but the guy tackling me either landed on my side or I copped a knee instead but I heard like three or four cracks, I reckon that was my spine though because I was a due a chiro appointment anyway and it stiffens up pretty quick these days.

Anyway, I've been icing it up and having inflammatories whenever I remember to, but it's still quite painful to do anything at the moment, I had to jog to get across the road this morning and goddamn it hurt. I guess this will be a thing where I may need to get an X ray to find out how bad this is but say for example I had a couple bruised ribs how long would you expect that to take me out the game?

Hi just wondering if anyone has any history/knowledge with a rib injury. I played in a trial game last Wednesday and while I was chasing the ball (stupid thing wouldn't bounce up) I got tackled from behind and I think I landed on my side, but the guy tackling me either landed on my side or I copped a knee instead but I heard like three or four cracks, I reckon that was my spine though because I was a due a chiro appointment anyway and it stiffens up pretty quick these days.

Anyway, I've been icing it up and having inflammatories whenever I remember to, but it's still quite painful to do anything at the moment, I had to jog to get across the road this morning and goddamn it hurt. I guess this will be a thing where I may need to get an X ray to find out how bad this is but say for example I had a couple bruised ribs how long would you expect that to take me out the game?

What happens if you cough?

What happens if you cough?
I do feel something, I wouldn't say pain, but definitely something. When I went to the footy club last night the first thing the trainer asked was if I still had full range of motion, for example put my arms above my head and bend side to side, which I can still do, if that's an indicator of what I have I don't know.

I do feel something, I wouldn't say pain, but definitely something. When I went to the footy club last night the first thing the trainer asked was if I still had full range of motion, for example put my arms above my head and bend side to side, which I can still do, if that's an indicator of what I have I don't know.

If you had a break/fracture I’d suspect coughing would be agony (barring some sort of one in a billion neurological problem).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back