Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but Melbourne and Freo have been pretty poor during the AFL era. Both have had some highs, but mostly middles or lows. WC are top two or three on any ranking of consistent success (premierships, finals played, games won, years qualified for finals) in that era. That would indicate our players are - generally - very, very good. Very, very good players tend to have longer careers.

Hawthorn and Geelong are our only peers when it comes to sustained competitiveness during the AFL era. It would be interesting to compare how many 300 game players there are across the three clubs. I have no idea how to do this other than to tweet sirswampthing, which I will do right now.

Geelong
Enright
Bartel
Ablett*
Selwood
James Kelly*

Hawthorn
Crawford
Franklin*
Burgoyne*
Mitchell+
Lewis*
Hodge+

*Played across multiple clubs
+Completed 300 at one club before moving on

Geelong
Enright
Bartel
Ablett*
Selwood
James Kelly*

Hawthorn
Crawford
Franklin*
Burgoyne*
Mitchell+
Lewis*
Hodge+

*Played across multiple clubs
+Completed 300 at one club before moving on

Thanks! I was aware of the wikipedia page but only wanted to look at games since our first game in 1987. You've done all the legwork, by the looks of it.

I guess this poses the question as to whether WC would have had 6/7 300 game players if we did not have to fly every second week?

Thanks! I was aware of the wikipedia page but only wanted to look at games since our first game in 1987. You've done all the legwork, by the looks of it.

I guess this poses the question as to whether WC would have had 6/7 300 game players if we did not have to fly every second week?

Hard to gauge as there's no exact science with player injury management. You can plan as much as you like, but if players break a bone, their bodies break down due to genetics or they go off the rails for other reasons (*cough* Ben Cousins) you can't really plan for it.

From our current crop Hurn, Gaff and Darling look the most likely to push the 300 mark for us
1601350715088.png

sh*t clubs play guys after their use by date so 300 gamers aren't necessarily an indicator of success. Freo wouldn't have played old man Pav all those games in his twilight years if they had a capable forward to replace him for example.
I was watching an old video of Simmo being interviewed by Woosha in 2014 and he was talking about glassy being cooked but Coxy physically was able to go around again. I feel like at Freo cox would have played that extra year and played 300 games. I won’t say we are aggressive when comes to pushing players out the door but sorta coax players to that decision. I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that happened to Schoey as well

I was watching an old video of Simmo being interviewed by Woosha in 2014 and he was talking about glassy being cooked but Coxy physically was able to go around again. I feel like at Freo cox would have played that extra year and played 300 games. I won’t say we are aggressive when comes to pushing players out the door but sorta coax players to that decision. I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that happened to Schoey as well

Link?

I get that players suffer major injuries, and have different list strategies. But I still find it odd that of the 3 teams who have (probably) played a similar amount of games when you include finals, in the last 33 years, that the only one that doesn't have 5 or 6 players who have had the motivation, energy and health to continue is the one that sits on a plane for 8 hours every two weeks.

I am not saying it is the only reason, but a contributing factor.

New podcast. First episode should be out later today and features Embers.

Hosted by Drew Jones from Fox Footy.

Subscribe, should be good.

Just listened to this, was quite good. If they can keep doing interviews like the Embers one I definitely keep listening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From our current crop Hurn, Gaff and Darling look the most likely to push the 300 mark for us
Thanks for the data kane. When you look at the records of these three individuals...
Rys.png
and read Gaff's recent afl.com article about six finals series in a row or something, you can understand how we have strong player retention.
Lay this table on the desk during negotiations with potential recruits. Go you Eagles.

Hard to gauge as there's no exact science with player injury management. You can plan as much as you like, but if players break a bone, their bodies break down due to genetics or they go off the rails for other reasons (*cough* Ben Cousins) you can't really plan for it.

View attachment 973185

I cant see hurn getting to 300 games unfortunately.

I can see him retiring this year after winning this years premiership.

Though a 289th with the cup could factor in him retiring while on top....
I'll take a premiership over a 300 gamer any day.

Sure, I'd love to see Bunga hit that milestone, but I'm sure he'd prefer the tag "Dual Premiership player" over "300 gamer"

Last edited:
True, but Melbourne and Freo have been pretty poor during the AFL era. Both have had some highs, but mostly middles or lows. WC are top two or three on any ranking of consistent success (premierships, finals played, games won, years qualified for finals) in that era. That would indicate our players are - generally - very, very good. Very, very good players tend to have longer careers.

Hawthorn and Geelong are our only peers when it comes to sustained competitiveness during the AFL era. It would be interesting to compare how many 300 game players there are across the three clubs. I have no idea how to do this other than to tweet sirswampthing, which I will do right now.

Havent the Pies made 6xGFs like the Hawks, the Eagles 7, Cats 8. Different way of looking at success, the only 2 clubs left.

Bit tough comparing the Dockers with Melbourne.

View attachment 973185
interesting only Cox and Embley had less than 50% winning careers. Actually even surprised by that. I guess they played through the 08,09,10 poopyness and 02,03 & 04 were breal even seasons.

The bottom 3 guys have great records

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

interesting only Cox and Embley had less than 50% winning careers. Actually even surprised by that. I guess they played through the 08,09,10 poopyness and 02,03 & 04 were breal even seasons.

The bottom 3 guys have great records

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Embers was also around 2000-2001 which would dent his record.

Thanks for the data kane. When you look at the records of these three individuals...
View attachment 973539
and read Gaff's recent afl.com article about six finals series in a row or something, you can understand how we have strong player retention.
Lay this table on the desk during negotiations with potential recruits. Go you Eagles.

The closeness of Gaff & Darling's careers is actually really cool, after they debuted in the same game as well.
Very close birthdays too.

Would be great to see them share a flag as well as bring up game 300 together.

View attachment 973539

More impressive is that every player to have played 200 games for our club has won a premiership, except for Priddis who won a Brownlow. Would be good if Gaff, Naitanui and Sheppard kept pace.

Axed Magpies staffer Matt Rendell blasts 'backwards' club

After being made redundant by Collingwood following round one this season, former recruiter Matt Rendell has teed off on the club ahead of its Elimination Final against West Coast.
The former Fitzroy captain and St Kilda assistant coach, who was relegated to part-time before eventually bring dropped, declared the side's forward line up has "gone backwards" since reaching the Grand Final in 2018.
Speaking on SEN, Rendell said the Magpies have changed their attacking approach since their loss to West Coast in the 2018 decider.
"I was there seven years, I used to watch training all the time, it used to annoy the hell out of me – it was all defence, defence, defence and they wonder why they couldn't score much ... this year has been all defence and it's no secret that every one of their forward line players has gone backwards," he said.
"There's not one of them that has improved. People keep talking about Jordan De Goey – De Goey has had two good games all year. He hasn't improved at all.

"Every one of those players has gone backwards who kicked 40-odd goals (in 2018)."
He wasn't finished there, with Rendell also making the claim that Nathan Buckley's team is a "shell" of the 2018 side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back