Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

In the offseason so far, I have noticed a lot of press about Freo, almost daily updates, pumping them up, their new recruits and the optimism and blah-blah...even vision of Freo doing their own Jetta like dance-moves? (bit sad)
But very little press from WCE, almost gone off the radar, laying low.
Am good with that, but Freo certainly look to be an overhauled side,
their biggest mistake was not overhauling Lyons!?

It is because unlike post 2006 the squad is drilled in being professionals. Ryan having some off field troubles? Coach takes him with his family to the Tiwi Islands. The motto 'Friends Family Flags' was decided by the playing group, which demonstrates what they value.

The media have to fill their column space so expect a lot more fluff articles and the occasional Freo player getting a move on notice from the police or threatening a photographer. I don't think the culture has changed at all - Fyfe is still captain, they just recruited Jesse Hogan and re-signed Harley Bennell.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Well it helps their pre-season started a month before ours ;)
Well, that does go a long way to explaining it...it wasn't a complaint so much as boring reading..
There was very little coverage of Fremantle and lots of coverage of West Coast in the week before and after the Grand Final for reasons that can be summed up in one word: "Conspiracy". Thus the news, in order to continue to maintain the facade that they aren't a front operation for the West Coast media department, have to focus on Fremantle for now.
Yes true, we soaked up a lot of media coverage before and after the fact...and the media should give equal coverage. Wasn't suggesting a conspiracy, just how tedious it is being in the football vacuum at present, then seeing Freo news posted daily just reinforces a kind of nothingness...?

Last edited:
May 28, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Does any one know where to find this? I screenshot it to remind my self to watch it when I had time but it seems to have been taken down on YouTube.

Just in case you don't know this, if you sign in to YouTube with a Google/YouTube account, you can add videos to a 'watch later' list or you can play the video and then close it, and it will show up in your 'history' of videos you've watched so you can watch it later at your convenience.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Just in case you don't know this, if you sign in to YouTube with a Google/YouTube account, you can add videos to a 'watch later' list or you can play the video and then close it, and it will show up in your 'history' of videos you've watched so you can watch it later at your convenience.

My watch later list is too full so I’ve not been able to add anything new and I’m too lazy to clear it.

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s because Freo have returned to training (perks of being a bottom 6 side) and west coast haven’t, that’s literally it! The afl posts content that exists, and wce don’t have any atm as they haven’t returned to training yet!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yes, three times informed of the fact now, thanks...see above posts.
still makes for boring football (stand alone Freo news articles) in the offseason..
the funniest was seeing Freo bust some dance moves after Jetta+Ryan's efforts,
it's like "hey, look at us, we can do funky dance moves too"....
all very well being competitive on+off the field but.....just gotta win a cup first guys?

galen

All Australian
May 1, 2006
Hopetoun
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
North Footscray
. On paper, it just didn’t feel like a premiership group. There was too much Dom Sheed about this team. That, as it turned out, proved to be true – there was too much Dom Sheed, but for Collingwood.

hahahah give this guy pulitzer for this! Not just a great article because it was pro-eagles but a very well written and clever article overall. The best I've read on the eagles in years.

Jandamarra

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
yes, three times informed of the fact now, thanks...see above posts.
still makes for boring football (stand alone Freo news articles) in the offseason..
the funniest was seeing Freo bust some dance moves after Jetta+Ryan's efforts,
it's like "hey, look at us, we can do funky dance moves too"....
all very well being competitive on+off the field but.....just gotta win a cup first guys?
It’s because already training. We ain’t training so no content m8

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
In the offseason so far, I have noticed a lot of press about Freo, almost daily updates, pumping them up, their new recruits and the optimism and blah-blah...even vision of Freo doing their own Jetta like dance-moves? (bit sad)
But very little press from WCE, almost gone off the radar, laying low.
Am good with that, but Freo certainly look to be an overhauled side,
their biggest mistake was not overhauling Lyons!?
Standard pre season marketing 101. They have to do extra to sell themselves. Cover up what has been a horrific couple of seasons and sell hope and memberships to fans so they will invite media at every opportunity.

Whereas we sell ourselves. Oh yeh and we won a premiership and have been off sinking tins and off on treks for an extra 5 weeks

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s because already training. We ain’t training so no content m8
Thanx M8..that's 4 times I've been told that fact. I fully understand it! Cheers.
Standard pre season marketing 101. They have to do extra to sell themselves. Cover up what has been a horrific couple of seasons and sell hope and memberships to fans so they will invite media at every opportunity.
Whereas we sell ourselves. Oh yeh and we won a premiership and have been off sinking tins and off on treks for an extra 5 weeks
I shouldn't dish Freo but it just feels so good?
(but doing the dance moves just seemed lame-maybe all clubs will bust-a-move now...could be fun?)
We seem to be back at training and the press articles are starting to roll in, esp. draft news.
Tipungwuti looking good! (TippingWoody?)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t too sure where to post this so I’ll post it here. Nic Nat on TMZ in LA :tearsofjoy:

I don't really know what a TMZ is exactly but I am sure that I don't like it.

Shows like that make me want to grate my face off.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins

It’s just a trashy Celebrity news and gossip website that’s turned into a tv show. Makes you want to gouge your eyes out and pour acid into your ear canal.

EDIT: Didn’t read the second part of your reply, but yes, exactly right.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

I enjoy watching it after I watch the replay of the current days Sunrise Mornings for the third time

Woobla Stainz

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Perth NOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Real Madrid
West Coast rated as the fifth best midfield.
Actually think that is quite generous:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-12/who-has-the-best-onballers-we-rank-every-club
I think its about right, as it says in the article it did thrash Melbs mid in a pre-lim and equalled/beat Collingwoods on 3 occasions. Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Sheed, Gaff as good as any last yeat imo. Just not as popular and overrated in the media.

I do completely agree with Freos placement as well.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldn't have us that high. Probably a couple of spots down. Particularly when their assessment excluded Nic Nat.

We performed very well when it mattered (overachieved) though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back