Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Controversially, I'm going to put the same article that people called out as Bias/Incompetent in here - because I actually read it :p

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-west-coast-are-seventh-20190215-p50y21.html

"The Eagles' 2018 premiership was nothing short of an outstanding achievement by the players and coaches. They didn't have the most talented list in the competition but continually reinvented themselves to cover both injuries and suspensions on several occasions late in the season. Tom Cole, Tom Barrass, Dom Sheed, Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan all stepped up at critical times; a real credit to both their player development programs and recruiting staff. While it might seem strange to suggest this, the Eagles are going to have to improve further to finish in the top four in 2019. The continued improvement of teams around them is going to put West Coast under even greater pressure to repeat their 2018 heroics. Shannon Hurn and Jeremy McGovern provide strength and stability in defence, Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling do similar in attack while Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff and Luke Shuey are genuine stars in the midfield. The Eagles proved they are a both a committed and well-coached team last year so nothing is beyond them."

I actually think that was pretty fair, and had some good stuff to say about the Eagles.

Controversially, I'm going to put the same article that people called out as Bias/Incompetent in here - because I actually read it :p

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-west-coast-are-seventh-20190215-p50y21.html

"The Eagles' 2018 premiership was nothing short of an outstanding achievement by the players and coaches. They didn't have the most talented list in the competition but continually reinvented themselves to cover both injuries and suspensions on several occasions late in the season. Tom Cole, Tom Barrass, Dom Sheed, Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan all stepped up at critical times; a real credit to both their player development programs and recruiting staff. While it might seem strange to suggest this, the Eagles are going to have to improve further to finish in the top four in 2019. The continued improvement of teams around them is going to put West Coast under even greater pressure to repeat their 2018 heroics. Shannon Hurn and Jeremy McGovern provide strength and stability in defence, Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling do similar in attack while Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff and Luke Shuey are genuine stars in the midfield. The Eagles proved they are a both a committed and well-coached team last year so nothing is beyond them."

I actually think that was pretty fair, and had some good stuff to say about the Eagles.
It’s not super inaccurate, but I don’t really see how we could only jump from 11th to 7th given the improvement of so many existing players, on top of having a heap of guys go from absolute nobodies to B22 contributors

It’s not super inaccurate, but I don’t really see how we could only jump from 11th to 7th given the improvement of so many existing players, on top of having a heap of guys go from absolute nobodies to B22 contributors
The ranking isn't super accurate, but I agree we will have to improve - this year we will be the hunted (along with Richmond).

and we sometimes forget that other teams are always improving, some more than others...just like Vic journos, some seem to live in a bubble more than others?

Dont forget 17 games at your home ground

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Given the location of teams in the competition and the sharing of home grounds, that's not as unfair as it sounds. However it would be nice if the AFL made efforts to equalise the burden to travel for fixtures involving it over a longer period.

As an example, if you look at the last 10 H&A games between two sides you'd like the games to be 50-50 or 60-40 at worst, if you take WCE vs Collingwood 7 of the last 10 H&A games have been in Melbourne. That's not ideal. Conversely Melbourne and Richmond have played 6 of the last 10 games against us in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the location of teams in the competition and the sharing of home grounds, that's not as unfair as it sounds. However it would be nice if the AFL made efforts to equalise the burden to travel for fixtures involving it over a longer period.

As an example, if you look at the last 10 H&A games between two sides you'd like the games to be 50-50 or 60-40 at worst, if you take WCE vs Collingwood 7 of the last 10 H&A games have been in Melbourne. That's not ideal. Conversely Melbourne and Richmond have played 6 of the last 10 games against us in Perth.
Agreed. Also not scheduling the WA teams (in particular) for ridiculous Tassie games would be another good start.

Agreed. Also not scheduling the WA teams (in particular) for ridiculous Tassie games would be another good start.
Yeah definitely, if you're going to schedule a game away from a team's designated home ground don't make the teams who travel the most travel further. Tas games should be strictly Vic vs Vic affairs. Canberra Vic/Vic, Vic/NSW or Vic/Qld, and NT games Vic/SA or Vic/Vic

Just highlighting the above article...

"Among a total of 22 tipsters, amazingly not one thought the Eagles would be going back-to-back..."

"It does seem staggering that not one person among more than 20 who make football their business believes the current title-holder will do it again..."

"The Eagles have won more games over the past four AFL seasons than any other club."

"I’d rather be in West Coast’s place right now, than plenty of other teams which have gone into a new AFL season as top dog..."

Also shows how full of s**t the AFL is with its rule changes trying to open up the game more
I reckon the rule changes are going to lead to more 1-1 contests as opposed to congestion, which I’m very excited about.

I reckon the rule changes are going to lead to more 1-1 contests as opposed to congestion, which I’m very excited about.

It is more the point that in the good old days, contested possession was up around 60% compared with 40% today.

So the AFL brought in new rules on little to no actual analysis, more just the vibe.

The rule changes may very well open up the game, but the game will change and evolve regardless.

It is more the point that in the good old days, contested possession was up around 60% compared with 40% today.

So the AFL brought in new rules on little to no actual analysis, more just the vibe.

The rule changes may very well open up the game, but the game will change and evolve regardless.
With all due respect mate you’re not privy to their inner sanctum so not sure that you can say that they’ve brought these new rules in based on a vibe alone.

Let’s see how they go this year I reckon. I’m optimistic!

With all due respect mate you’re not privy to their inner sanctum so not sure that you can say that they’ve brought these new rules in based on a vibe alone.

These are the same guys that got the coaches to agree on a gentleman's agreement to reduce congestion?

Yeah, real professional lot.

Well, if they have then it's up to them to lay that evidence out on the table isn't it? I'm all for evidenced-based policy and rule changes, but we've been provided sweet FA in that regard. There's no transparency. On that basis, It's not unreasonable to make a judgement that it is all just a vibe thing.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back